DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have you tested the drone delivery app yet?

I hope it's for real!
Never heard of it, but I do know that they are doing food delivery test flights here in North Carolina not too far from where I live. I work with the State DOT and our Aviation Division is a part of that testing. We just had a couple of medical package test deliveries last year carring a blood sample from a Dr's office to the Hosptal.

Never heard of it, but I do know that they are doing food delivery test flights here in North Carolina not too far from where I live. I work with the State DOT and our Aviation Division is a part of that testing. We just had a couple of medical package test deliveries last year carring a blood sample from a Dr's office to the Hosptal.

Glad to hear that something is getting off the ground lol

Biggest drawback I could see for Zing would be the weather. Wind and rain could ruin your day if you own a DJI drone. Maybe they are weatherproofing their DJI drones before deployment.

Last edited:
Commercially viable “drone delivery” is a complete farce. Anyone who has flown one knows this is true. There is no way this works practically or financially. Entities who are promoting this nonsense are just looking for free advertising (Amazon) or trying to raise money under false pretenses.

This is a nice website about drone delivery history and status:

Delivery drone - Wikipedia

I like this part in particular. 500 pound payload cargo drone!

"In January 2018, Boeing unveiled a prototype of a cargo drone for up to 500 lb (227 kg) payloads, an electric flying testbed that completed flight tests at the Boeing Research & Technology research center in Missouri."

Military tech always trickles down to the consumer and commercial market.

This is a nice website about drone delivery history and status:

Delivery drone - Wikipedia

I like this part in particular. 500 pound payload cargo drone!

"In January 2018, Boeing unveiled a prototype of a cargo drone for up to 500 lb (227 kg) payloads, an electric flying testbed that completed flight tests at the Boeing Research & Technology research center in Missouri."

Military tech always trickles down to the consumer and commercial market.
You obviously drank the kool aid. Chalk another one up for Amazon’s PR department

Reactions: ianannase
You obviously drank the kool aid. Chalk another one up for Amazon’s PR department

Amazon has made my life easier, saved me money, and has a fantastic return policy. Everyone I know uses them and Im happy to bang the drum for them whenever I can. They are the most qualified company to enter into the commercial drone delivery market because they already know how to deliver.

Amazon has made my life easier, saved me money, and has a fantastic return policy. Everyone I know uses them and Im happy to bang the drum for them whenever I can. They are the most qualified company to enter into the commercial drone delivery market because they already know how to deliver.
I use amazon all the time myself and a significant portion of my portfolio is invested in their stock but even they can’t change the laws of physics or the weather or make that huge tree in someone’s yard disappear.
Their whole business model is based on being able to deliver 100% of their products to 100% of their customers as cheaply as possible not 1% of their products to less than 1% of their customers at a delivery cost that is impossible to calculate due to infinite variables.

Commercially viable “drone delivery” is a complete farce. Anyone who has flown one knows this is true. There is no way this works practically or financially. Entities who are promoting this nonsense are just looking for free advertising (Amazon) or trying to raise money under false pretenses.
I disagree. I have been to a lot of workshops that our Aviation Division hosted and there are companies out there doing this already viably in other countries. It just hasn't been happening here yet because of all the regulations. Zipline is a US based company that is doing medical deliveries overseas. They have been doing it for quite a while. Consumer package delivery is already being done overseas as well. Most all of it though is going to be done by automated drones, not by pilots flying a DJI product. Amazon is putting in a warehouse hub here in NC as well that is supposed to open sometime this year. One of the things they want to do out of that center is drone package delivery.

I use amazon all the time myself and a significant portion of my portfolio is invested in their stock but even they can’t change the laws of physics or the weather or make that huge tree in someone’s yard disappear.
Their whole business model is based on being able to deliver 100% of their products to 100% of their customers as cheaply as possible not 1% of their products to less than 1% of their customers at a delivery cost that is impossible to calculate due to infinite variables.

Ingenuity and pioneering is best left to those who can think outside the box. Does Greyhound deliver you to your door? Do commercial airliners? Trains? None of the above. Is it more efficient for restaurants and service business to use a drone instead of a car and driver? Absolutely.

As I have mentioned before in previous threads, it's as simple as Amazon (happily) providing a 10x10 landing pad colocated on the roofs or other areas within myriads of businesses who would love to have customers coming in to pick up their packages. UPS store is a good example. They act as UPS agents, but also sell computer rental time, copying, boxing, etc. When they get big enough, and they will, Amazon will have their own landing pads and shops.

I disagree. I have been to a lot of workshops that our Aviation Division hosted and there are companies out there doing this already viably in other countries. It just hasn't been happening here yet because of all the regulations. Zipline is a US based company that is doing medical deliveries overseas. They have been doing it for quite a while. Consumer package delivery is already being done overseas as well. Most all of it though is going to be done by automated drones, not by pilots flying a DJI product. Amazon is putting in a warehouse hub here in NC as well that is supposed to open sometime this year. One of the things they want to do out of that center is drone package delivery.

I wonder if you will be able to order a drone delivered by a drone? That would be sweet.

So the food delivery that is being tested here, they don't deliver directly to your front door. They have landing pads set up in various locations close to your house and you go and pick it up there. So for instance there might be one central pad in a culdasack that will service all the houses within 300 yards of the pad. Or they have one set up at the golf course on pads at several Tees. Then they have one set up near the pool in a sub division. Yeah it isn't right to your door, but people will walk the length of a football field to get food delivery rather than get in the car and drive a few miles through traffic to pick it up.

One of the big ones that drones are going to replace is business couriers or medical lab couriers. They are already testing it in several places in the US and it works. I mean you think about the cost and time savings alone makes it very viable. No traffic to worry about, no worries about parking a car or van, no construction detours. It financially would be a huge savings. And the weather? They make all weather drones, you just won't be doing package delivery with your little DJI Mavic, but the Matrice is an all weather drone.

I wont walk that far. Thats what they make teenagers for. But youre right.
We wouldn't even need to do that. Heck if they get it within 300 yards we could just put a string and hook on one of our drones and fly down to the pad and get it ourselves and fly it back. LOL Or an RC truck with a claw on the back. We wouldn't need to worry about any FAA regulations that way. LOL

You're a real visionary...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS