DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Haven't used my Mavic Pro 2 in a year - are my batteries toast?

rikbrown

Reactions
For various personal reasons, my drone hasn't really been out of storage for a year. That includes my 4 batteries.
I'm looking to start flying again - but will the batteries be OK after presumably having discharged over the last year? Or should I not risk it (and get... expensive... replacements?). I know this is my own fault for not cycling them occasionally.

When you test the batteries are the indicator lights coming on? I just flew my Phantom 2 Vision Plus for the first time in 5 years. All 3 batteries charged and flew perfectly. There are videos about bringing DJI batteries out of hibernation.

Also check if they are swelling at the bottom. If they do not use - they pop out in flight.

Luckily I had all mine replaced for free under Australian Consumer Law

When you hit the test button if any charge shows you’re golden. If not you may sill be fine. Either way charge them fully before using them to power your drone.

Just try them all out, if your drone comes down, chalk it up to experience

Reactions: Tony McDrone
I'd be tempted to charge them up. Do a test hover, as low as possible with each battery. Maybe? 10 minute hover on each. That should show up any issues, overheating or rapid voltage drop, iff a battery has a problem.

I'd be tempted to charge them up. Do a test hover, as low as possible with each battery. Maybe? 10 minute hover on each. That should show up any issues, overheating or rapid voltage drop, iff a battery has a problem.

Hovering won't do it, you need to put them under stress to account for actual flying conditions ;)

Hovering won't do it, you need to put them under stress to account for actual flying conditions ;)
I can see your point there. I was thinking more along the lines of a confidence booster before committing to a proper flight?

Should add it's what I do when I haven't flown my Helicopters for a while. More of a shakedown flight to observe for any issues.

Reactions: lannes
I have some power tools that sit around unused for a year and they will charge up fine

Reactions: RobertR
For various personal reasons, my drone hasn't really been out of storage for a year. That includes my 4 batteries.
I'm looking to start flying again - but will the batteries be OK after presumably having discharged over the last year? Or should I not risk it (and get... expensive... replacements?). I know this is my own fault for not cycling them occasionally.
I didn’t fly my phantoms for like two years they just sat in the garage.
The batteries charged up and everything worked fine.
I have had a bad battery and hovering did bring it to light one of the cells dropped like a stone after about a minute.

Hovering actually draws a lot of current. As one would expect ascending draws the most current.

Reactions: Ramjam61
I didn’t fly my phantoms for like two years they just sat in the garage.
The batteries charged up and everything worked fine.
I have had a bad battery and hovering did bring it to light one of the cells dropped like a stone after about a minute.

Hovering actually draws a lot of current. As one would expect ascending draws the most current.
That was my thought. Hovering, the motors are having to support the Drones weight as well as keep it in position, and heat becomes a bigger factor. Flying uses inertia to assist and cooling is better? I'd still go for the hover approach. Proved by your experience.

Talking about batteries, I recently took out my DJI Goggles... I’m pretty sure that the battery was completely discharged ... after charging over night, I turned them on to find that they won’t boot up ... all I see is the DJI logo on the grey background and assistant wont even recognize they are there ! ? ... sent them in to repair this week ... hope they don’t become A paperweight!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3