DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Having to re calibrate compass numerous times during flight

whyme

Reactions
Hi

this is ref the drone bought on 23rd April, Due to the lockdown I did not start using until last weekend and after a few flights I have noticed a problem which is giving cause for concern.

Despite taking off from several different take off points often miles apart and doing a compass calibration EVERY time which is always successful, I note that after take off and landing at the home point either manually or using RTH after 1 to 2 batteries use, the Drone signifies compass calibration and will not fly unless I re calibrate the compass.

This is shown by the Status Indicator on the drone warning status Alternating red and Yellow blinking quickly and is happening on every flight not just the odd occasion. I might add that owing to my uncertainty flying I will often land and take off between 5 to 10 times before a battery is depleted, sometimes on the landing pad, sometimes 10 to 20 meters away

I welcome your suggestions
Regards
Alan

Did you possibly expose it or store it near a strong magnetic field?
And concrete pads often contain rebar and will cause compass issues

Did you possibly expose it or store it near a strong magnetic field?
And concrete pads often contain rebar and will cause compass issues
I regret that at the age of 68 i do not understand how to retrieve the logs and files asked for to give a positive reason for the lost connection, thought it might be a simple one line answer like the one above.

It has not been stored or near magnetic fields and every time i have taken off from a grassed field well away from everything

I regret that at the age of 68 i do not understand how to retrieve the logs and files asked for to give a positive reason for the lost connection, thought it might be a simple one line answer like the one above.

It has not been stored or near magnetic fields and every time i have taken off from a grassed field well away from everything

The detailed instructions are in the link in my signature line in post #2, and here.

The detailed instructions are in the link in my signature line in post #2, and here.
OK Thanks i'll try again, as I have a Smart controller are the files i am looking for on the controller or the Aircraft please and i assume that which ever one it is needs to be connected to a computer????? Regards

OK Thanks i'll try again, as I have a Smart controller are the files i am looking for on the controller or the Aircraft please and i assume that which ever one it is needs to be connected to a computer????? Regards

The files are on the controller.

The files are on the controller.
Thank you. which port do i connect to on the controller, is it the one used for charging which came with a cable or another port which needs connection to the USB on the computer

Just read the user manual for the smart controller and it states
#13 on underside of controller USB-C port...........................use to charge or update the remote controller
#20 on top of controller USB-A Port...........................Use to connect external devices

So which one is it please to connect to the computer

Just read the user manual for the smart controller and it states
#13 on underside of controller USB-C port...........................use to charge or update the remote controller
#20 on top of controller USB-A Port...........................Use to connect external devices

So which one is it please to connect to the computer

The USB-C port.

Thanks for the reply

Got another problem now, connected the sc to the computer via the USB-c port but it does not do anything.
Ok the display on the SC states something like charging slowly use charger that came with sc and the leds flash as if charging, but the computer says something like "unable to update USB drivers" and thats it, no display nothing
I am running WINDOWS 7 does this make a difference, where do i go from here to install drivers to download files is there another way around this

Thanks for the reply

Got another problem now, connected the sc to the computer via the USB-c port but it does not do anything.
Ok the display on the SC states something like charging slowly use charger that came with sc and the leds flash as if charging, but the computer says something like "unable to update USB drivers" and thats it, no display nothing
I am running WINDOWS 7 does this make a difference, where do i go from here to install drivers to download files is there another way around this

Not having an SC or Windows 7 I'm not in a good position to answer that question. Perhaps someone else might recognize that issue.

I have similar problem with my M2P although it may not be as serious as you have described. I fly in the urban area so there are cars and building around that can cause magnetic interference but what I don't understand is I do not have such problem with my MM. Seems that the M2P is very sensitive to magnetic field anomalies.

Sometimes my RC displayed the message "MAG INTERF" when I was about to takeoff but the DJI App is not showing any warning messages. Anyone know why it is so ?

1591257645794.png

but the computer says something like "unable to update USB drivers" and thats it, no display nothing
There are four places you could possibly get the driver.
  • Microsoft update - MS stopped pushing updates to Windows 7 back in January '20, but depending on your past update regimen and settings, the update to that driver may still be there awaiting download. Open Control Panel, click Windows Update icon, check for updates, and peruse the resulting list for anything related to USB.
  • Computer manufacturer website - on the driver downloads page for your model.
  • Driver depository website - quite risky for someone with not much tech knowledge. On many of those sites the files are modified with malware, or worse.
  • DJI website might have a general windows USB driver for the SC, honestly don't know... probably a slim chance.

Good luck

I have similar problem with my M2P although it may not be as serious as you have described. I fly in the urban area so there are cars and building around that can cause magnetic interference but what I don't understand is I do not have such problem with my MM. Seems that the M2P is very sensitive to magnetic field anomalies.

Sometimes my RC displayed the message "MAG INTERF" when I was about to takeoff but the DJI App is not showing any warning messages. Anyone know why it is so ?

View attachment 103574

It should show the calibrate message on the status screen and scrolling in the flight status bar top left. Neither of those are visible in the settings screen in your photo.

Reactions: umanbean
You can also browse the SC File manager and pull off the necessary files. You will copy them to an SD card inserted to the SC card port.

If you still need to connect the SC to a win7 machine you need to go to the DJI site and download the Assistant software for Mavic. This should have the necessary drivers to allow win7 file manager to browse the controller. However many people report issues with win7 so you might need to google the season subject.

I would just attempt to pull the files necessary off controller directly.

Paul C

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ