DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HDMI Goggles or spotter Monitor via $20 dongle 5GHz !

Ender

Reactions
Hi !
We talked about it a lot of times, here are facts :)

I am using this cheap dongle:
MiraCast 5G:
Mirascreen 5G TV Dongle

(can be had from $12 up to $50, your decision ;-) )

Setup:
you can set the dongle to Airplay (usually iOS, see below) or MiraCast (Windows / Android)
I encountered a problem with my S7 Edge, latest FW cobinations would not work good with MiraCast, ALL my others do work so i guess its Samsung to blame...
So i installed the "Mirroring 360 Sender" App which allows Android to mirror to Airplay...

Apart from that MiraCast worked fine some time before...

So i setup the dongle to start in Airplay mode, 5GHz frequency which is great as it does not interfere with Ocusync !

fired up the Mavic, connected S7 to Controller, used an iPad as reference time source (stopwatch app) and focussed the Mavic on the iPad.
Connected the MiraScreen 5G to a small HDMI Monitor and mirrored S7 Screen via that 360 App...

I then started the stopwatch and took a still image with my Yi Actioncam to see the lag.

Endresult:

-190ms from "real time" to S7 Edge
-Another 120ms from S7 to the Monitor via 5GHz WiFi Dongle totalling in 310ms.

As the Mavic is no racer anyways i think thats okay for gentle flying and spotting !

I'll used a powerbank with my Eachine Goggles Two to supply the MiraScreen 5G but will solder a 2S LiPo to 5V stepdown ($0.50) in the weekend to use the Goggles battery and to then have an "Aitplay & MiraCast" Goggle :)

GREAT,

Ender

MiraScreen5G.jpg

Wow...that's a nice setup/ground station. Sacrificing portability, but as long as it achieves the end goal all is well.

Hi !
Nooo, this was just to measure the lag.
The Dongle is just very small and the only added site is your goggles and possibly an USB powerbank.

And every 5Ghz enabled smartdevice can have a virtual HDMI out this way.

SMAAAAALLLL :D

I just had the opportunity to try outside as there was a moment without hailstorms.
Outside in 2.4G & 5G free environment the lag is even smaller, i bet << 250ms in total !
Thats great will remeasure outside when the wether becomes stable.

Ender

P.S. and a spotter now could wear the goggles and be several meters apart, just like with the DJI goggles as its connected wireless ;-)

does this dongle connect to your phone or TV? How would it work with IOS IPHONE?

I'd like to stream my iphone display to my 55" TV so I can fly while looking at big screen if thats possible.

The dongle is linked to the phone via Wifi (its a wifi hotspot itself).
It can work in airplay mode & in 5 GHz so YES it works with iOS, i tried with the iPad mini 2 retna. Just fine.
Just be sure to switch to 5G and to update the dongles firmware when you get it and use it for the Mavic, for your TV its a free choice of 2.4 or 5.

Ender

Man, you must have started a run on these, I went to order one for a GS screen and they are out of stock. I have a tripod mounted battery powered 7" hooded HDMI monitor I use for sharing flights. I could just sling a small powerbank on the tripod to power the dongle and connect to monitor via HDMI and bingo! a wireless GS monitor.

EDIT: Got one on eBay for $17

Last edited:
Looks awesome, two questions:

How do you get the HDMI signal 'into' a set of goggles, as most of them have a mini HDMI port.......that dongle looks like it just has a regular size HDMI on the end of it?

And does it only support a phone with 802.11ac, or does it also support the other 5G bands 802.11a and 802.11n?

Looks awesome, two questions:

How do you get the HDMI signal 'into' a set of goggles, as most of them have a mini HDMI port.......that dongle looks like it just has a regular size HDMI on the end of it?

And does it only support a phone with 802.11ac, or does it also support the other 5G bands 802.11a and 802.11n?
Hi !
Yes indeed i need a $2 miniHDMI to HDMI adapter. I got one with a 90 degree angle so the dongle aligns with the goggles.

As for the modes: As long as its 5GHz its fine, the other "letters" more describe the protocoll / max speed.
And as last resort one can use 2.4 of course but that may well result in interference which can be minimized by smart channel choosing on the Mavic (and may reduxing bandwidth to 10 MHz as well).

So in all cases it should work *somehow* ;-)

Ender

Last edited:
So I have this correct, your plugging the MiraScreen into your goggles,(mine are FatShark Dominator V3) plug the dongle into the goggles then using a USB power bank to power the device, link it to my iPad via 5ghz wifi, when I have it linked via wifi to my iPad what app can or do I use or does the miraScreen have its own software to attach the video from my iPad to the dongle? Sorry I kind of understand the steps, just have never done it before,,,, I understand plug the dongle into my goggles HDMI mini port---link to it with 2.4 or 5 with my iPad--- is this right so far?? I'm just confused with the question will the MiraScreen grab video after it's linked or is there another app to do that with???

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Last edited:
so do you need to use the included 2 in 1 USB cable/ Wi-Fi antenna or can you just use any USB cable to connect to a 5VDC/1.0A USB power source? I guess what I masking is the dongle the Wi-Fi transmitter/receiver or is it in the 2 in 1 cable requiring you to use the cable? Just trying to eliminate any unnecessary cords if it isn't truly needed.

Hi !
Yes, all of those dongles have a HDMI plug (that may need a HDMI to mini or micro HDMI adapter for your speific goggles) and a USB plug for power that goes into a USB Powerbank.
Thats all.
iOS then can use the dongle in airPlay mode and Android can natively use the MiraCast mode or in my case as the S7 has compatibility issues i installes Mirror 360 wich lets Android also use the aitplay mode.
And if the dongle (like mine above) handles 5GHz that is preferred to reduce interference with Ocusync.

Ender

Reactions: LelandS
so do you need to use the included 2 in 1 USB cable/ Wi-Fi antenna or can you just use any USB cable to connect to a 5VDC/1.0A USB power source? I guess what I masking is the dongle the Wi-Fi transmitter/receiver or is it in the 2 in 1 cable requiring you to use the cable? Just trying to eliminate any unnecessary cords if it isn't truly needed.
Jackpot, thats how it is for THIS dongle.
There are other 5GHz dongles coming on the market that have WiFi integrated like the regular 2.4GHz ones ( i also have 3 different of those that all work fine as well just with increased interference).

Ender

Jackpot, thats how it is for THIS dongle.
There are other 5GHz dongles coming on the market that have WiFi integrated like the regular 2.4GHz ones ( i also have 3 different of those that all work fine as well just with increased interference).

Ender
gotcha...thanks for the response. Just trying to minimize the amount of cables I will have hanging around. So I was thinking of putting the dongle, the 2 in 1 USB cord and small power bank in my pocket and only having the HDMI cable running up to the goggles. Do you see this being an issue or does the Wi-Fi transmitter need to be out in the open and away from the power source to prevent interference?

Hi !
We talked about it a lot of times, here are facts :)

I am using this cheap dongle:
MiraCast 5G:
Mirascreen 5G TV Dongle

(can be had from $12 up to $50, your decision ;-) )

Setup:
you can set the dongle to Airplay (usually iOS, see below) or MiraCast (Windows / Android)
I encountered a problem with my S7 Edge, latest FW cobinations would not work good with MiraCast, ALL my others do work so i guess its Samsung to blame...
So i installed the "Mirroring 360 Sender" App which allows Android to mirror to Airplay...

Apart from that MiraCast worked fine some time before...

So i setup the dongle to start in Airplay mode, 5GHz frequency which is great as it does not interfere with Ocusync !

fired up the Mavic, connected S7 to Controller, used an iPad as reference time source (stopwatch app) and focussed the Mavic on the iPad.
Connected the MiraScreen 5G to a small HDMI Monitor and mirrored S7 Screen via that 360 App...

I then started the stopwatch and took a still image with my Yi Actioncam to see the lag.

Endresult:

-190ms from "real time" to S7 Edge
-Another 120ms from S7 to the Monitor via 5GHz WiFi Dongle totalling in 310ms.

As the Mavic is no racer anyways i think thats okay for gentle flying and spotting !

I'll used a powerbank with my Eachine Goggles Two to supply the MiraScreen 5G but will solder a 2S LiPo to 5V stepdown ($0.50) in the weekend to use the Goggles battery and to then have an "Aitplay & MiraCast" Goggle :)

GREAT,

Ender

View attachment 4011

Would I be on the right track with these items? I'm tired of wondering about DJI goggles, and the price will probably be too high anyway. This solution would be a hair over $180:

MiraScreen 5G WiFi Display Receiver 1080P AV DLNA Airplay Miracast Dongle HDTV

15cm 90 Degree Mini HDMI Male to HDMI Female Cable Support 3D

Eachine Goggles Two 5 Inches 5.8G Diversity 40CH Raceband HD 1080p HDMI FPV Goggles Video Glasses

Last edited:
Looks good to me !
Check if the Goggles are in stock, i had to wait for quit a long time !
All dongles with HDMI in should work or even with AV in using a $7 HDMI2AV adpater...

Ender

gotcha...thanks for the response. Just trying to minimize the amount of cables I will have hanging around. So I was thinking of putting the dongle, the 2 in 1 USB cord and small power bank in my pocket and only having the HDMI cable running up to the goggles. Do you see this being an issue or does the Wi-Fi transmitter need to be out in the open and away from the power source to prevent interference?

That should work fine. Remember that the 5G Dongle just has to establish connection to the phone beeing few centimerts away, you could probably put it in a coocke box :)

Ender

Very interested in this, thanks for sharing.
Question : What Sort of distance do get with the dongle? Could i effectively plug this into my lounge tv and fly outside, broadcasting what the MP is seeing.

Thanks.

Very interested in this, thanks for sharing.
Question : What Sort of distance do get with the dongle? Could i effectively plug this into my lounge tv and fly outside, broadcasting what the MP is seeing.

Thanks.
Hi !
The distance in Question is just the one between Smatdevice & Dongle and should be like the "normal" range a WiFi USB Stick can manage.Walls are harder to be penetrated by 5GHz...

Just give it a try, the MP is not affected by a lost connection to the Dongle / TV...

Ender

I have been flying some more and i can observe that there seems to be a "little" Interference with using the DOngle & Goggles (whether it comes from dongle or Goggles i dont know yet) as the max distance is somewhat reduced before i get that "signal weak" message.
Its not horrrible but i can notice it. I will investigate it further and report. Of course i am using the dongle in 5G mode :)

Ender

Is there a trick to getting an IPad Mini 4 to transmit the video? I have all the parts connected, using Headplay HDMI goggles as the extended screen. I can see the Mirascreen page in the goggle, but on my Ipad mini it never pushing the screen content to the Headplays. I have the Mirascreen wifi selected in the Airplay settings. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS