DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HDR Photo Mode

Rich5741

Reactions
Maybe a silly question, but I’ve been reading threads on the HDR mode, and I can’t confirm how to take HDR photos with the drone (lots of threads on video). I think I get the HDR effect using “Smart” mode, but wanted to know if there was a way to do force it on (without using AEB and generating the HDR in post).

Also, it seems like HDR video isn’t true 10-bit HDR, so I assume if I wanted to further compress the video after the fact, using H.265 in 8-bit mode will be the thing to do even if I shot in HDR?

Thanks.

Maybe a silly question, but I’ve been reading threads on the HDR mode, and I can’t confirm how to take HDR photos with the drone (lots of threads on video). I think I get the HDR effect using “Smart” mode, but wanted to know if there was a way to do force it on (without using AEB and generating the HDR in post).

Also, it seems like HDR video isn’t true 10-bit HDR, so I assume if I wanted to further compress the video after the fact, using H.265 in 8-bit mode will be the thing to do even if I shot in HDR?

Thanks.
I’ll answer your second question. Yes you might as well use 8-bit H.265 encoding. There’s no point in using the 10 bit H.265 profile.

As far as I'm aware, purely from a photography perspective, you capture three identical photos...

So, let's say you're indoors and there's sunlight light flooding through your windows...

1. Expose for interior detail
2. Expose for exterior light
3. Expose somewhere in the middle
4. Combine those three exposures.

I know that HDR photo manipulation is available in certain photo software apps, and that they work on a single photo, but that's not really HDR.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: jag32266
As far as I'm aware, purely from a photography perspective, you capture three identical photos...

So, let's say you're indoors and there's sunlight light flooding through your windows...

1. Expose for interior detail
2. Expose for exterior light
3. Expose somewhere in the middle
4. Combine those three exposures.

I know that HDR photo manipulation is available in certain photo software apps, and that they work on a single photo, but that's not really HDR.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for writing. The MA1 on the DJI Go 4 app had a shooting mode that was labeled HDR, that did what you outlined above - it took 3 pictures and combined them for HDR in a single step. This mode is missing in the MA2, but some of the pictures I take with the Smart model appears to do that.

i also know I can use the AEB to take 3-5 shots at varying exposure, and then combine them in post-processing with Photoshop, but I am looking for the single button solution That was in the MA1.

I had the same question and was told HDR is only in the Smart mode and that it will decide to do HDR or not. I also wish it just had and HDR photo mode like with video

I own a MPP so this may not apply to you, but in MANUAL mode you expose a shot using your slider for the aperture/histogram- take the picture. Then you take two/five more shots making adjustments to the slider to vary the exposure for each single shot. Combined in s/w of your choice to VARY the look.
The point of HDR in one sense is to come closer to what your eye see's in exposure value. The point of s/w is to give the shooter adjustments to vary for their own tastes. To 'seek' this out in a single button is to search for the unicorn as there are too many differences in taste to accommodate this..

I own a MPP so this may not apply to you, but in MANUAL mode you expose a shot using your slider for the aperture/histogram- take the picture. Then you take two/five more shots making adjustments to the slider to vary the exposure for each single shot. Combined in s/w of your choice to VARY the look.
The point of HDR in one sense is to come closer to what your eye see's in exposure value. The point of s/w is to give the shooter adjustments to vary for their own tastes. To 'seek' this out in a single button is to search for the unicorn as there are too many differences in taste to accommodate this..
Does the MPP (or the ma2 for that matter) not have the 3 or 5 shot AEB (exposure bracketing) modes like the mavic 2 does? I use this and Lightroom to generate my HDR images and the results are supurb. The aeb just makes it so quick and less change.for camera shifts between shots not to mention auto stacking the images based on capture time is pretty sweet since the gap in capture time is less then a second.

Thanks.
What is SmartPhoto?
SmartPhoto integrates HDR, HyperLight, and scene recognition for a perfectly optimized shot. HDR uses advanced algorithms to optimize the dynamic range of your image, HyperLight removes noise from low-light scenes, and scene recognition optimizes camera shooting parameters based on the recognition of the sunset, sky, grass, snow, and trees.

Does the MPP (or the ma2 for that matter) not have the 3 or 5 shot AEB (exposure bracketing) modes like the mavic 2 does? I use this and Lightroom to generate my HDR images and the results are supurb. The aeb just makes it so quick and less change.for camera shifts between shots not to mention auto stacking the images based on capture time is pretty sweet since the gap in capture time is less then a second.
Yes, there is an 3 shot and 5 shot AEB setting. I believe it's 0.7 between steps. Agree best results are derived in post and doing it manually, bit someone I like the simplicity of single button (also don't have Lightroom). But from the other answers here it sounds like the manually activated HDR is replaced by Smart where the software decides to do it.

Yes, there is an 3 shot and 5 shot AEB setting. I believe it's 0.7 between steps. Agree best results are derived in post and doing it manually, bit someone I like the simplicity of single button (also don't have Lightroom). But from the other answers here it sounds like the manually activated HDR is replaced by Smart where the software decides to do it.
I use aeb (5 shots) send to photoshop create hdr (32bit) photo, save it as a 32 bit tiff file and then adjust in camera raw.I know, a lot of work but I find it gives the best results for those real keeper shots.

Reactions: joeywestside
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929