DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HDR shot appeared to be “Ghosting”

KubotaMann

Reactions
So I am a tad bit confused.
On most of my scenery shots I have used HDR...However today I was out shooting and used HDR along a bridge and the vehicles appeared to be for lack of a better term “Ghosting”. What would have made this shot better?

Here is an example

Attachments

• 5D26A017-EC9D-49E7-89A9-C253C68DF7FE.jpeg
    5D26A017-EC9D-49E7-89A9-C253C68DF7FE.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 40
Did your Mavic do the HDR-Effect itself or was it a bracketed AEB shot and combined afterwards in a photo editing software?

Why I ask: In Lightroom Classic (the software I use) you have the possiblity to show ghosting effects and choose a way of correction (none, light, medium, heavy) before combining it.

When your Mavic did the merging job (I actually don't know if it combines differently exposed photos on the fly or it is just an HDR-effect) via HDR-photo-mode, maybe the objects were moving to fast compared to your aperture or exposure settings?

There's not really any reason to use HDR in that sort of scene, it's a feature not a fault in that 3 or more pictures taken in sequence and combined are going to show the moving objects.
You could consider the movement effect (of vehicles) to be quite pleasing.

Anytime you use HDR around a moving object you'll get exactly what you show. You have 2 options:

1) Use a single non-HDR image
2) Use correction software to try and reduce it as much as you can but in that image it might be minimal improvement.

We always shoot AEB (miltiple exposures) and combine manually. This allows us to use a single image if we see movement in the combined image.

Try shooting AEB & in RAW format, you will definitely have more to play around in post with your photos. I’ve tried HDR but find Raw better.

Try shooting AEB & in RAW format, you will definitely have more to play around in post with your photos. I’ve tried HDR but find Raw better.
What are some post program options other than Lightroom?

Reactions: sonof40
The only thing that I did was select HDR instead of Single shot. The only editing I did was the built in editing on my iPad. That editing was only for color enhancement.

The only thing that I did was select HDR instead of Single shot. The only editing I did was the built in editing on my iPad. That editing was only for color enhancement.

You allowed the aircraft to do all the image capturing and combining onboard. If you want more control you'll want to select AEB (3, 5, or 7 images depending on model of aircraft) and you do the combining etc in Post.

Reactions: KubotaMann
You allowed the aircraft to do all the image capturing and combining onboard. If you want more control you'll want to select AEB (3, 5, or 7 images depending on model of aircraft) and you do the combining etc in Post.
Will that give it the same detail?

IMHO it gives more... a lot more and allows you to be in control of the combining and so much more. It's more work than letting the aircraft do it but we never do it onboard. I take all my pics in AEB and do the real magic back in the office.

You let the mavic take three images and put them in a blender and give you a result.
The result from DJI's one-shot HDR is usually not very good.
You can do the blending and have a lot more control if you do it yourself.

Reactions: BigAl07
You let the mavic take three images and put them in a blender and give you a result.
The result from DJI's one-shot HDR is usually not very good.
You can do the blending and have a lot more control if you do it yourself.
Yes I have a Mavic....Because of that I am poor and need to keep the Wifey-Poo happy. Is there an inexpensive program or app that will do what you are speaking of?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost