DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HDR video

TerryToast

Reactions
Site
youtube.com
First question, does anyone know how the Mavic Air 2 does HDR video? In particular, is it “image stacking”?

To explain, in HDR photo the cameras shoots multiple images with varying exposures and combines them into a single image (called “image stacking”). That makes sense.

But for HDR video, how is it possible for the Mavic camera to have sufficient capacity to take 500% (?) extra 4K frames required for image stacking? That would be 4K 150fps.

Second question, if the Mavic Air 2 HDR video increases the dynamic range, why isn’t everyone using HDR video all the time? Why use D-Cinelike at all, as the objective of “shooting flat” to get (the same?) dynamic range, which HDR gives us anyway?

I guess the reason why people don't shoot as much HDR is, that it gives less freedom in post. And many creators rather adjust the colors, contrast and saturation in post, than let an algorithm do that for themselves.

Also, it is not available in 60fps, which means no slow-mo for HDR clips.

Reactions: E90RAW
I haven't seen them post how they do it but it's probably done with a single second frame (X Frame I think it's called). So that's why if you can shoot 60fps you can do 30fps HDR.

I haven't seen them post how they do it but it's probably done with a single second frame (X Frame I think it's called). So that's why if you can shoot 60fps you can do 30fps HDR.

I am kind of eager to know what happens if you fly fast while recording and use ND -filter with low shutter speeds i.e. 1/50.

I'm actually kind of excited to try 4k/60fps, but for motion quality not for slow motion. I know most people want it for slow motion, it should make for some stunning video played realtime. Too bad you can't also get HDR with that.

I guess the reason why people don't shoot as much HDR is, that it gives less freedom in post. And many creators rather adjust the colors, contrast and saturation in post, than let an algorithm do that for themselves.

What about shooting in HDR mode while also using the D-Cinelike profile? It sounds like the best of both worlds, as you would get great dynamic range and keep the freedom in post to adjust colors, contrast and saturation?

DJI is most likely using the quad bayer sensor to accomplish this feat.

For half of the time of each shutter, the full sensor is active to let in the darker light, and then for the second half of the shutter, half of the quad bayer is shut off to capture the brighter details.

This allows one sensor to get two exposures at the same time.

DJI is most likely using the quad bayer sensor to accomplish this feat.

For half of the time of each shutter, the full sensor is active to let in the darker light, and then for the second half of the shutter, half of the quad bayer is shut off to capture the brighter details.

This allows one sensor to get two exposures at the same time.
That would mean that the Mavic Air 2 is “image stacking” for HDR video, which is pretty amazing!

Tom’s Tech Time was one of the few reviewers who tested the HDR video mode. Results attached so people can decide for themselves.

Attachments

• A9C22BC4-36E0-4C11-A5C7-804F5BD4F378.png
    A9C22BC4-36E0-4C11-A5C7-804F5BD4F378.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 37
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+