DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Headless Mode in Mavic?

Chirp

Reactions
I have this feature in my Chroma CGO but can't find it so far on my new Mavic Pro.

When in this mode the aircraft will fly in the direction applied on the remote regardless of drone orientation.

Does the MP not have this?

Thanks!

Actually I think the one you want is Course Lock. Home Lock will enable you to use the right stick to move away or towards the home point despite orientation. This is good as an alternative to RTH. Course Lock will enable you to fly with reference to a set course despite orientation, which is equivalent to the headless mode.

Wrong. He asked about headless mode. That's where the orientation of the drone is ignored, and back come to you, forward moves away, and right and left never reverse. Home lock!

Um, no, not wrong. Both home lock and course lock are forms of headless mode. Both of these allow flight without regard to aircraft orientation. In course lock, the drone's forward direction is locked to the initial heading. In home lock, the drone is locked to the home point position. It can only move away and towards you. The Chroma has a smart mode called stick relativity, which locks the drone to the aircraft heading, not the home point. So, to answer the OPs question, the headless mode in the Mavic that is most like that of the Chroma, is Course Lock, not home lock.

Reactions: dex_
I guess Chirp can tell us what he meant by "headless", but it appears to me that that Chroma's stick relativity mode is just like the Mavic's home lock. From their description ... "Stick Relativity moves drone in whatever direction the control stick is pushed, no matter which way the nose is pointed". That's the typical meaning of headless with most other drones.

Both home lock and course lock are headless modes, just with different reference points. The Chroma's stick relativity description makes no mention of the reference being the home point. It does say that the reference is the aircraft nose. And that is the same as course lock. HL is good for returning the drone to you. It is just a special form of CL, where the reference is set with the aircraft headed away from you. CL is much more useful for photography.

Here is a good video that explains the difference between HL and CL.

I will attempt to clarify how Headless Mode effects the flight as there seems to be some confusion ( hope this makes sense to you all )

I have a toy drone with the headless mode option, If I engage headless mode all stick movements correspond to the direction of travel regardless of the drones orientation, eg say the nose is pointing 90 degrees to my left all stick movements act the same as if it was pointing directly away from me, left is left & right is right this is the same even if it is pointing towards me instead of away.

Headless mode is handy if I lose orientation because the drone travels in the direction I move the stick regardless of its orientation.

I will have to give Home lock & Course Lock a try when the wind and rain stop long enough for me to fly to see if either one acts the same as Headless Mode on my toy.

I will post my conclusions after I get a chance to try things out.

The rain stopped at last so had a chance to fly.

Home Lock is the same as headless mode on my toy drone.
Regardless of orientation while facing the Mavic left, right, forward & backward all move it in that direction.

Was going to try it on the Mavic 2 but it hasn't got the option for home or course lock ( Unless it’s hidden in a menu somewhere )
They give the MP2 new fancy flight modes but drop something simple like home lock,
surely it cant be complicated to incorporate if a toy can have it.

OOPS forgot to try course lock ?

Reactions: Joeyambor69xxx
I have a toy drone with the headless mode option, If I engage headless mode all stick movements correspond to the direction of travel regardless of the drones orientation, eg say the nose is pointing 90 degrees to my left all stick movements act the same as if it was pointing directly away from me, left is left & right is right this is the same even if it is pointing towards me instead of away..
So, if I understand well, in HEADLESS MODE, when you want to fly FORWARD (with the camera turned forward) you PUSH the right joystick... and when the drone is far away, you rotate it 180° (so the camera is pointing AT YOU), and to get the drone to go back in YOUR direction, you ALSO PUSH the joystick away from you ??

That would be normal flight. Pushing forward (up) on right joystick normally has it fly nose forward. So if you fly away from you with nose away from you, you'd be right stick up. If you then turn the drone around where nose faces you, then pushing up has it come back.

In course lock (or perhaps home lock, I get them confused), it doesn't matter which way the nose is pointing, pushing right stick up sends it away, stick down brings it back. Exception: if the drone passes you where it is now behind you, then down is away, up is towards you.

Regardless of orientation while facing the Mavic left, right, forward & backward all move it in that direction.

Was going to try it on the Mavic 2 but it hasn't got the option for home or course lock ( Unless it’s hidden in a menu somewhere )
They give the MP2 new fancy flight modes but drop something simple like home lock,

Yea I agree with you 100%

Hey buddy do you know how to use or enable course lock on mavic mini 1...? ThankQ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser