DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hearst Castle - Note to self

OCsurfer411

Reactions
The Mavic Pro can not make it all the way up to Hearst Castle and back from Hwy 1. Got about halfway and had to turn back to have enough juice to make it back. I honestly didn't think it would make it all the way up there, but I had to try :)

Reactions: go fast
I actually would have loved to see a pic of that. Big Citizen Kane fan

Lots of beautiful shots to be had along the PCH , I was there this past summer and got some amazing footage looking forward to seeing yours as I didn't make it that far south on this trip...

I did a little measuring. From the optimal take-off point on the PCH, you would be exactly 3 miles from the castle. I know that area is famous for the high winds in the hills. Any chance you'll try again?

The problem isn't the 3 miles, it's the elevation you have to achieve as the drone approaches the castle.

No, won't try again this trip.

Lots of beautiful shots to be had along the PCH , I was there this past summer and got some amazing footage looking forward to seeing yours as I didn't make it that far south on this trip...
I got some great shots of the coast near the elephant seal viewing area and of Morrow Bay and Rock. I'll post it all soon.

A Few Things About this Video:

1. It hasn't been put to music yet, But it will soon.
  2. It was in Sports Mode most of the flight, so you'll see the prop in the upper left portion of the FoV. This was done to get up and back as quickly as possible. In my experience, the overall distance you can get in regular versus sports mode is about the same, it's just a matter of how quickly do you want to get there, and in this case since it was really just an audit flight to see how close the drone could get before battery level forced a return.
  3. Once the drone landed, it still had over 35% battery, so in reality, it could have probably gotten a bit closer, but generally going into the sub-30% of the battery should only be done in emergencies, and this wasn't.
Enjoy!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Esccueje