DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HEDGE TRIMMING WITH THE MAVIC AIR 2

DavidT_ NZ

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I recently went to trim a tall hedge on the boundary of my property but had difficulty seeing if the top had been cut properly. The solution? I parked my Mavic Air 2 on the roof of my house and used the DJI Fly App to move the camera gimbal around manually, coupled with the digital zoom, to put the video feed into my iphone 11 Pro, showing me the hedge. Yet another great use for this excellent and very versatile little drone! ? Where there’s a will, there’s usually a way! ???? Love that drone (and a tidy hedge)! Stay safe ....... ?

Excellent usage of the MA2.... next time turn the drone upside down and
use the props to cut the hedges ???
More a job for the new FPV ...... ? cheers ??
So you did your first Remote Landing and take off from the Roof ?
that is awesome.
The Air 2 is so stable and responsive that I also use it to fly along my high level roof gutters to check for leaves that may need blowing out with my trusty Stihl high reach unit. With the camera turned down, it is easy to record images for checking later and the digital zoom gets me some rooftop satellite antennae, solar water panel and chimney inspections without risking the drone. I also provide similar assistance to my neighbours, which certainly helps build good “drone relations”! And in my professional work, we use the latest DJI RTK drone for high resolution land survey topographical mapping combined with Pix4D and Autocad. The world changed with the advent of GPS. Now it is opening up further with drones and their excellent imagery capabilities. They are marvellous pieces of kit; just use them safely. ???? (And often! ?)

I recently went to trim a tall hedge on the boundary of my property but had difficulty seeing if the top had been cut properly. The solution? I parked my Mavic Air 2 on the roof of my house and used the DJI Fly App to move the camera gimbal around manually, coupled with the digital zoom, to put the video feed into my iphone 11 Pro, showing me the hedge. Yet another great use for this excellent and very versatile little drone! ? Where there’s a will, there’s usually a way! ???? Love that drone (and a tidy hedge)! Stay safe ....... ?

It's not a toy, it's a tool to be used. ?

I have been using my Mavic Air to check on how many broken solar panels I currently have. We live on a golf course and were told by SunPower that they can withstand hail and bouncing golf balls. So far 8 are broken. Going to send it back up today and do another count. They are supposed to be under warranty, so I need all the evidence I can get. Image1.jpgImage2.jpg

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
I have been using my Mavic Air to check on how many broken solar panels I currently have. We live on a golf course and were told by SunPower that they can withstand hail and bouncing golf balls. So far 8 are broken. Going to send it back up today and do another count. They are supposed to be under warranty, so I need all the evidence I can get. View attachment 126755View attachment 126756

Reactions: DavidT_ NZ
I have been using my Mavic Air to check on how many broken solar panels I currently have. We live on a golf course and were told by SunPower that they can withstand hail and bouncing golf balls. So far 8 are broken. Going to send it back up today and do another count. They are supposed to be under warranty, so I need all the evidence I can get. View attachment 126755View attachment 126756
Another handy use for the Air 2 drone. Do you think that the damage is caused by balls hit on to the roof, if the white marks on the panels in the photos are the impact points? Also, if you drop lower you should get much clearer single frame shots of the damage (try the 48MB resolution, if necessary). On the topic, do you use a night store battery as well? I had an assessment done at my home 2 years ago but the high battery cost (in NZ) deterred me. Good luck. ???? (It might save future damage by fitting chicken wire netting in frames above the panels.)

Last edited:
Another handy use for the Air 2 drone. Do you think that the damage is caused by balls hit on to the roof, if the white marks on the panels in the photos are the impact points? Also, if you drop lower you should get much clearer single frame shots of the damage (try the 48MB resolution, if necessary). On the topic, do you use a night store battery as well? I had an assessment done at my home 2 years ago but the high battery cost (in NZ) deterred me. Good luck. ???? (It might save future damage by fitting chicken wire netting in frames above the panels.)
Yes, the white marks are impact points. They caused enough damage that those panels are not working now. I'm sending up the drone again today, so will get some closer images. We average 350 days of sunshine a year in Palm Springs, so normally they would make a great investment. Currently don't have a battery storage system installed, that was going to be added in the future. But for now we have a 50 grand investment that is not paying off.

• Sad
Reactions: MA2 317
Yes, the white marks are impact points. They caused enough damage that those panels are not working now. I'm sending up the drone again today, so will get some closer images. We average 350 days of sunshine a year in Palm Springs, so normally they would make a great investment. Currently don't have a battery storage system installed, that was going to be added in the future. But for now we have a 50 grand investment that is not paying off.
Wow! My cost estimate in NZ was about $40K WITH an expensive Tesla night store battery, using high end panels. Still not cheap. Thanks. ????

i have a camper with two solar panels, just yesterday was doing a little practice flying and decided to check the panels to see if they needed cleaning from all the wind and dust we have had in the desert this week. Used my MA2 then lowered within a couple of feet from the panels and tilted the gimbal straight down, no need to clean. That is a lot better than getting the telescoping ladder out and have to climb up and have a look. Gosh I love my drone! ?

i have a camper with two solar panels, just yesterday was doing a little practice flying and decided to check the panels to see if they needed cleaning from all the wind and dust we have had in the desert this week. Used my MA2 then lowered within a couple of feet from the panels and tilted the gimbal straight down, no need to clean. That is a lot better than getting the telescoping ladder out and have to climb up and have a look. Gosh I love my drone! ?
Must have been the same dust storms that hit us last week also. Gusts between 50 and 60 mph.. If you fly low enough it could probably just blow any dust off.

Nice job! I do the same on my home’s solar water heating panels. That “camera down” mode off the F button setting on the Air 2 is hugely useful for landing checks, crossing roads and other areas but also for utility checking on roof areas, gutters, etc. And you can get the photo records, also. I recently had my mother’s house roof resurfaced and was able to inspect progress and completion without climbing a ladder nor walking on the steel tiles. The contractor was equally impressed and was considering buying one to assist with quotations and records of completed jobs. ????

Attachments

• 74828321-4364-4F48-80BA-F4297136A019.jpeg
    74828321-4364-4F48-80BA-F4297136A019.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: Marcass Carcass
More a job for the new FPV ...... ? cheers ??

The Air 2 is so stable and responsive that I also use it to fly along my high level roof gutters to check for leaves that may need blowing out with my trusty Stihl high reach unit. With the camera turned down, it is easy to record images for checking later and the digital zoom gets me some rooftop satellite antennae, solar water panel and chimney inspections without risking the drone. I also provide similar assistance to my neighbours, which certainly helps build good “drone relations”! And in my professional work, we use the latest DJI RTK drone for high resolution land survey topographical mapping combined with Pix4D and Autocad. The world changed with the advent of GPS. Now it is opening up further with drones and their excellent imagery capabilities. They are marvellous pieces of kit; just use them safely. ???? (And often! ?)
The new FPV sounds like a trimmer, who knew? lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder