DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Helicopter blades are dangerous.

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
I always see people ducking when they get out of the Helicopters but never realized until now really why.

So this helicopter sitting at idle with props spinning killed someone that ran back with there phone in hand in Greece.
Its a wake up call for me as I just assumed people were ducking from the wind and not to save there lives.

Article here :

2022-07-27_14h28_12.png

It's when they're spinning slowly that they can be dangerous. A gust of wind can bring them down to head height. Otherwise, it's not necessary to stoop when walking under the disc. Even when it's on low gear, like in the pix above.

The pax died when he walked into the TAIL ROTOR, which is deadly and accessible at all times. The tail rotor is by far the most dangerous part of the helicopter when it's on the ground and running.

I flew in one in London and the helicopter came to a complete stop (no spinning blades) before they let us exit helicopter. And a ground crew person stood right by the door and held arm up to move us away from helicopter. This does sound like pilot and ground crew negligence.

I flew in one in London and the helicopter came to a complete stop (no spinning blades) before they let us exit helicopter. And a ground crew person stood right by the door and held arm up to move us away from helicopter. This does sound like pilot and ground crew negligence.
I read a couple articles and he had already gotten off the helicopter safely along with the rest of the crew , but went back to it . The pilots were already investigated and let go.

I have a new respect , that is for sure.

Don’t walk uphill from a parked and running helicopter either. We threw rocks at a coworker who couldn’t hear our yells while doing this after he exited the uphill side door. It was a hot landing with one skid on the side of a steep hill and there was no room to head uphill safely. We got his attention and he safely headed back towards the front with us.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
It's when they're spinning slowly that they can be dangerous. A gust of wind can bring them down to head height. Otherwise, it's not necessary to stoop when walking under the disc. Even when it's on low gear, like in the pix above.

The pax died when he walked into the TAIL ROTOR, which is deadly and accessible at all times. The tail rotor is by far the most dangerous part of the helicopter when it's on the ground and running.
My uncle took me up in a helicopter once, and he gave me a safety brief at the time. It was something along thr lines of never, ever walk behind the rear most doors while the engine is on. There is nothing back there a passenger needs to do or see.

It was either walk directly away from the aircraft to the side or the front, I can't remember which. But never towards the tail.

Reactions: SWTSU

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun