DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Helicopter headach

MAGA

Reactions
Close call. Flying my dji drone around Hadley Mountain NY yesterday when a little tour helicopter flew very close to the mountain, something they never do and I was there with bird in the air scrambling to maneuver it down. It was to close for comfort . ears open head on a swivel people

I was flying about 20 feet above my position but when you fly away from the mountains its a different story. I was at 2650 elevation

I usually hear a helicopter before I see it. When I do, I descend immediately and bring the drone to me until the helicopter is gone. Drones must always yield to manned aircraft and helicopters can fly as low as they want. The only FAA regulation is that a helicopter cannot fly "at a high speed" over a dense city at 100 feet. Most helicopter pilots take extra precautions when flying below 500' AGL

I usually hear a helicopter before I see it. When I do, I descend immediately and bring the drone to me until the helicopter is gone. Drones must always yield to manned aircraft and helicopters can fly as low as they want. The only FAA regulation is that a helicopter cannot fly "at a high speed" over a dense city at 100 feet. Most helicopter pilots take extra precautions when flying below 500' AGL
Agree
Being on the side of the mountain I had little warning about 10 seconds to respond luckily the MP2 IS very responsive and I was able to drop it roughly 80 feet in that time. This was my second incident with a helicopter. The first was flying about 300 feet when a Blackhawk flew near me around 500 -600 feet. Drop it down to almost roof leavel and yelled some profanity.

.... The only FAA regulation is that a helicopter cannot fly "at a high speed" over a dense city at 100 feet.....

While I totally agree with what you're saying, the section I quoted above, I don't seem to recall that regulation. I'm not saying it's not out there I just haven't seen it. Can you link me to it?

From what I have researched a helicopter must fly no lower then An altitude of 500 feet above the surface except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In that case, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure. (d) Helicopters.

Reactions: MAGA
From what I have researched a helicopter must fly no lower then An altitude of 500 feet above the surface except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In that case, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure. (d) Helicopters.

(c) Over other than congested areas – An altitude of 500 feet above the surface except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In that case, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

Next paragraph

(d) Helicopters – Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed In paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.

Helicopter operations may be conducted below the minimum altitudes set for fixed-wing aircraft. The reason: they have unique operating characteristics, the most important of which is their ability to execute pinpoint emergency landings during power-out emergencies. Furthermore, the helicopter's increased use by law enforcement and emergency medical service agencies requires added flexibility.

Reactions: MAGA
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada