DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Helipads on airport list in b4u fly?

Shadow2020

Reactions
Every hospital seems to have a heliport and this shows up as a five mile zone... There are hospitals seemingly everywhere keeping me from flying. Are these really treated as airports?

Of course they are. If aircraft take off and land from them they have to be notified.

I wish you best of luck getting in contact with people for every heliport and tiny airport out there. I have a state police barracks 3 miles from my house that is supposedly a heliport, not once in 6 years has a helicopter ever landed there. Also a little farm field 4 miles away that is listed as an airport which is actually used for heavy equipment storage... Also no aircraft taking off from there. I play what I consider the common sense card on these instances. Hospitals are a bit different in my opinion though because they can be highly trafficked.

As Hollajandro mentioned.

Good luck with that phone call.

By definition, if someone within 5 miles of you owns a helicopter and takes off from his/her house... you need to call that person. I doubt the FAA is going to knock on your door if you don't.

From what I've read on other topics related to this when people do get a hold of the person that controls the port they they're annoyed that they are even being called to discuss such an issue.

If it was an "of course" to me, I wouldn't have asked. I tried to fly in Bethesda MD... Out of DC but close enough I guess. The drone wouldn't even take off.. The controller said "no fly zone" wow.

I'm right at the edge of a private "airport" and I notified them of possible drone flights below 400' AGL in the NW quadrant and they replied that if I see anyone lower than 500' they'd like to know about it (like I could read the N-number). Then I asked how many take-offs and landings they have a month and he said 3-6. It doesn't keep me from flying as I just accepted the caveat that popped up but it does show the ridiculousness of some of these "zones". Over at my daughters real rural home is another case where they are at the edge of an alleged airport. I say alleged because there is no airport there it's a tree farm and no place for anything to land. No building, no nothing. At one time is was a crop-duster's grass strip. Evidently once licensed by the state it stays as an airport forever.

Go here [ 30.616875, -85.704692 ] and there is a strip that was my backyard "airport" 20 years ago but after I sold the property (and my airplane unfortunately) I cancelled the license through the state as it was in my name.

I am a few miles from a hospital. I asked my wife, who works there about getting official permission. She told me they don't have a traffic controller. When a helo is incoming, they just notify the ER about the particulars of the patient onboard, nothing else. It is just the same as a ground ambulance. The call is answered by whichever nurse is close to the communicator.

I am a few miles from a hospital. I asked my wife, who works there about getting official permission. She told me they don't have a traffic controller. When a helo is incoming, they just notify the ER about the particulars of the patient onboard, nothing else. It is just the same as a ground ambulance. The call is answered by whichever nurse is close to the communicator.

remember that you are not calling to ask permission, simply notifying them.

there will be one or two phone numbers listed at airnav.com search for the city in which the hospital is located.

here is an example: In my experience, these numbers tend to be answered by security at the hospital.

heloport2.jpg

Attachments

• heloport.jpg
    heloport.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 11
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members