DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello ? from beautiful southern Oregon.

DonDayan

Reactions
I’ve had my MA2 (bought from Amazon) for about 3 weeks now and haven’t even taken it out of my den yet. I’m just a little worried about flying it outdoors before I fully understand ALL the pre-flight settings. I’ve read the manual several times now, and frankly I just don’t know if I’m ready for the first attempt outside. Any suggestions where I should make my first flight? I’m about 2 miles from our airport, so I really don’t know exactly where I should go or if I can actually “fly” this drone safely. I’m kind of worried about crashing into trees or power lines. We have some beautiful lakes, but again, I’m worried about losing it in the water. I guess my question is are there any suggestions on an exact location for the maiden flight? Should I take it to the high school football field and just fly a short distance and a low altitude, or perhaps a public park, or should I just bite the bullet and go to one of our large lakes? Sorry for the rambling... I just don’t want to throw $800 out the window by losing my drone on it’s first flight.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?

Hi DonDayan Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
My usual advice is
Wide open space.
Slow & easy
Power-lines & trees are evil.
Don't expect RTH to save you especially if you are under trees.
I normally add a link to the manual but you have read that.
You are safer over solid ground than over a lake until you get the hang of things.
Just go fly & have fun.

Welcome to the forum, from sunny Southern California.

Of the options that you’ve listed, I’d recommend the flying at the football field. It will offer the fewest obstacles, a clear line of sight, and the largest area for a safe landing. Watch out for trees and power lines at all times.

The public park will likely draw too much attention from onlookers, that will only take your focus away from the drone. Your attention needs to be dedicated solely on flying in a safe manner. Try to find a place without many other people around you, if possible.

We all have to learn to trust the capabilities in our own time, just continue at a pace that is comfortable for you. You seem thoroughly prepared. Once you able to get the drone in the air with confidence, there is a freedom that is difficult to describe.

Happy, safe flying?

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland DonDayan.

Any suggestions where I should make my first flight? I’m about 2 miles from our airport, so I really don’t know exactly where I should go or if I can actually “fly” this drone safely.

Go to the app stores and get three apps that may help you.

AIRMAP, UAV FORCAST and WINDY.com.

The AIRMAP will show NFZ's, NOTAM's and TFR's that may pop up in the area you're flying.

The UAV FORCAST will show the weather conditions pertaining to flights that has parameters that you can set such as wind speeds at different altitudes.

WINDY.com will provide a nice flowing graphic of arrows on a map showing you which way the wind is blowing. I try to fly into the wind so that I'll have a tail wind for the trip home when the battery is low.

The local school would be prefect but be aware of wires, goal posts, students, etc.

Tripod mode first to get a feel of the sticks, and then regular mode for a little more fun. Save Sport mode for the last and make sure you're away from everything as it's fast and needs some braking room.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome to the forum! :)

I’ve read the manual several times now, and frankly I just don’t know if I’m ready for the first attempt outside. Any suggestions where I should make my first flight?
Flying inside is not a great idea unless you've mastered the remote controller and have no option but to fly inside (like for commercial purposes). Fly outside in a location that's free of all obstacles. You'll just need to worry about crashing into the ground then -- and that's pretty tough to do.

Here are some things to help you get started with your Mavic Air 2:

Welcome to the forum, from sunny Southern California.

Of the options that you’ve listed, I’d recommend the flying at the football field. It will offer the fewest obstacles, a clear line of sight, and the largest area for a safe landing. Watch out for trees and power lines at all times.

The public park will likely draw too much attention from onlookers, that will only take your focus away from the drone. Your attention needs to be dedicated solely on flying in a safe manner. Try to find a place without many other people around you, if possible.

We all have to learn to trust the capabilities in our own time, just continue at a pace that is comfortable for you. You seem thoroughly prepared. Once you able to get the drone in the air with confidence, there is a freedom that is difficult to describe.

Happy, safe flying?
Thank you very much for the response. I’ll try the football field today after school is out.

Hi DonDayan Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
My usual advice is
Wide open space.
Slow & easy
Power-lines & trees are evil.
Don't expect RTH to save you especially if you are under trees.
I normally add a link to the manual but you have read that.
You are safer over solid ground than over a lake until you get the hang of things.
Just go fly & have fun.
Thank you for the encouragement... I’ll give it a shot this afternoon. Fingers and toes crossed!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and view of the world.

I’ve had my MA2 (bought from Amazon) for about 3 weeks now and haven’t even taken it out of my den yet. I’m just a little worried about flying it outdoors before I fully understand ALL the pre-flight settings. I’ve read the manual several times now, and frankly I just don’t know if I’m ready for the first attempt outside. Any suggestions where I should make my first flight? I’m about 2 miles from our airport, so I really don’t know exactly where I should go or if I can actually “fly” this drone safely. I’m kind of worried about crashing into trees or power lines. We have some beautiful lakes, but again, I’m worried about losing it in the water. I guess my question is are there any suggestions on an exact location for the maiden flight? Should I take it to the high school football field and just fly a short distance and a low altitude, or perhaps a public park, or should I just bite the bullet and go to one of our large lakes? Sorry for the rambling... I just don’t want to throw $800 out the window by losing my drone on it’s first flight.
Open field take it up 100ft and keep it close. Practice landing and rth. Indoors is probably more risky than this. Most accidents are below 100ft. Be careful of wires and trees. Good luck

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!
As you can see, the sound advice from the talented members of this forum will help you out of your den and into the air. There are also some good videos by Flytpath on YouTube that you may want to review. Fly safe and stay safe!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica