DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Bryant, Arkansas

Bill Shryock

Reactions
Hello everyone, new pilot here. I've had my Mavic Pro Platinum for just over a month now. Went through most of the blades that came with the fly more package the first day. I assure you it wasn't my fault. :D

Made my first flight today with VR Goggles, man what a rush. I had purchased a real cheap set but after that experience I've already ordered a better set. Just couldn't get a good focus with these old eyes. I would have flown more FPV today but my spotter (Wife) quit on me so I had to quit. She just doesn't get it.

Pryor to the Mavic, I have only had one quad but it was a toy with no stability at all and a real pain to fly. This is a whole new world and I'm having a great time. I took a trip to Orange Beach, GA last week and Orange Beach has an ordnance against drones but Gulf Shores next door doesn't but it is in a no fly zone. I figured, what have I got to loose so I called the airport and was granted permission to fly on the beach. AWESOME! I need a little more practice with the camera before I'll have any video worth sharing but I had a great time and I'm learning more with every flight.

I just wanted to say hello to everyone and thank you for allowing me to join. I hope to learn a lot from everyone's experiences. Fly save and I hope you are having as much fun as I am. I didn't think that there was much more to get me excited at 75 years old but alas, I found quads.

See you on-line,

Bill

63 also Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
:)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Hello everyone, new pilot here. I've had my Mavic Pro Platinum for just over a month now. Went through most of the blades that came with the fly more package the first day. I assure you it wasn't my fault. :D

Made my first flight today with VR Goggles, man what a rush. I had purchased a real cheap set but after that experience I've already ordered a better set. Just couldn't get a good focus with these old eyes. I would have flown more FPV today but my spotter (Wife) quit on me so I had to quit. She just doesn't get it.

Pryor to the Mavic, I have only had one quad but it was a toy with no stability at all and a real pain to fly. This is a whole new world and I'm having a great time. I took a trip to Orange Beach, GA last week and Orange Beach has an ordnance against drones but Gulf Shores next door doesn't but it is in a no fly zone. I figured, what have I got to loose so I called the airport and was granted permission to fly on the beach. AWESOME! I need a little more practice with the camera before I'll have any video worth sharing but I had a great time and I'm learning more with every flight.

I just wanted to say hello to everyone and thank you for allowing me to join. I hope to learn a lot from everyone's experiences. Fly save and I hope you are having as much fun as I am. I didn't think that there was much more to get me excited at 75 years old but alas, I found quads.

See you on-line,

Bill
Howdy from Wyoming @Bill Shryock , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Reactions: mickieenzfly
Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio! Fly safe and have fun!

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I hope to be around for quite a while. Can't wait till warmer weather, I plan on some motorcycle trips with the Mavic Pro. Hopefully get some great video. Boaring right now just flying around the house but that will change in a few weeks. I gota get those darn tax forms all figured out first. Next big headache. Be safe out there.

Bill

Welcome Bill :I am going to visit Your State of Arkansas the end of the month.
Been researching some of the area, looks beautiful to fly my bird. Have called
Mount Nebo state Park and have to fill out info for a permit to fly. Have been checking
the Park operations Manual, and found no info about flying a drone. Park Directives
address over 60 different issues but not flying drones. Have called 6 different phone
numbers before finally speaking with someone that could help me. Since you live
in Arkansas, maybe you can recommend other areas as well. Thank You

Welcome Bill :I am going to visit Your State of Arkansas the end of the month.
Been researching some of the area, looks beautiful to fly my bird. Have called
Mount Nebo state Park and have to fill out info for a permit to fly. Have been checking
the Park operations Manual, and found no info about flying a drone. Park Directives
address over 60 different issues but not flying drones. Have called 6 different phone
numbers before finally speaking with someone that could help me. Since you live
in Arkansas, maybe you can recommend other areas as well. Thank You

Hello SpitFire,

I'm sure you will find a lot of beautiful scenery to photograph here in the Natural State. Like I stated at the beginning of this thread, I'm very new to the hobby. I haven't tried flying outside my county which is about half covered by flight restrictions. Almost all of Little Rock and north towards Jacksonville is No Fly, major airport and U.S. Air Force Base. I have found the Hover App to be very helpful with that.

I wish I had more info but I've been pretty occupied and haven't been able to get out when it wasn't raining. I think we are about through with that but the state is wet. I did make a quick trip to Gulf Shores, AL and got to fly one day but that has been about my experiences except around the neighborhood. I have to get a few things taken care of then I should be able to get out and start wearing out those motors.

I know that there are some great vistas in Northern Arkansas and some good lake vistas around Hot Springs. I think you are doing the right thing checking with the parks you plan to fly in. I read the Arkansas State Law concerning Drones and it is pretty reasonable and not really all that comprehensive.

Here is about all I found:

Act 293: Prohibits the use of drones to commit video voyeurism (invasion of privacy). Class B misdemeanor; Class A misdemeanor if images were distributed or transmitted to another party, or posted to the Internet.

Act 1019: Prohibits the use of drones for surveillance and/or the gathering of information on "critical infrastructure" (oil refinery, chemical manufacturing facility, power plant, etc.) without written consent.

Pretty common sense.

Let me be the first to welcome you to Arkansas. I hope you have a great time. Let me know how it went. I'm going to be getting out there soon and I'[m looking forward to it.

Fly safe,

Bill

Thank You for responding to my request. Happy flying to you as well.

Hello, I am new as well. just upgraded from a Walmart special. boy what a difference.

Thank You for responding to my request. Happy flying to you as well.

SpitFire,

I have sent an inquiry to Mt. Nebo State Park and if/when I hear back I'll let you know what they say. Mt. Nebo is a beautiful park, with some altitude, so you will be able to get some great vistas even if you can't fly and only use a hand held camera. I'm sure you will enjoy the Park. I'm planning on a motorcycle trip sometime this summer and it is a great ride up the mountain. You will enjoy the visit I'm sure.

Bill

Hello, I am new as well. just upgraded from a Walmart special. boy what a difference.

Hello jkelly,

Yupp I know what you mean. My wife bought my first drone from Best Buy. I was all excited until I tried to fly it. No altitude hold, no gyro stabilization, nothing. I did learn how to crash very well. :oops: I got up above the trees on one flight and not sure just what happened, probably just my bad flying, but it got away from me and I spent about three hours looking for it. Found it caught about 50 feet up in a dead tree about a mile away. Only was able to spot it because the LED's were still flashing and and it was getting dark. There was enough battery left that with one prop tangled in a dead limb, I was able to start and stop the props rocking it back and forth until it finally broke loose and fell to the ground. Sure was happy that I didn't have to tell the wife I lost her present.

The Mavic is just not even in the same world as that toy. With all that power comes responsibility. So learn the rules and fly safe. I'm trying and having a great time. I just bought some VR Goggles and that is just fantastic. It's a whole new world. Yesterday I took off from the front of the house and right away I noticed some smoke about 3/4 of a mile away. With the goggles I flew over there and looked it over. It was a grass fire that had burned 5 or 6 trees along the road. I could see someone coming so I Figured I better get out of there because of the rule about flying around a fire.

Anyway, had a good flight and had a lot of fun trying them out. From my experience, don't buy the
VR BOX Goggles 3D Glasses+Remote, a total waste of money. I replaced them with the BlitzWolf BW-VR3 3D VR Glasses and I'm satisfied with them for now. They are ten fold better and I think for my level of sophistication they will be just fine.
Didn't mean to get so long winded but that is the Ham Radio Operator in me. Just have fun and fly safe.

Bill

Reactions: jkelly
I know this is an old post, but good to hear from you. I live in Alexander, AR, actually very close to Shannon Hills. My wife and I fly a Mavic Pro and we love it. I'm 73, so we're close in age.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair