DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello From El Cajon, CA

GrandDad48

Reactions
New to the forum, but I've been flying for a year and half. I'm a semi-professional photographer, retired engineer and operations management professional. I first bought a Mini 2 to see if I'd like shooting from a drone. I was instantly hooked, not only with the photos, but with the 4K video opportunities. After a "trial period", I gave the Mini 2 to my son and bought the Air 2S. Still a newbie at video processing, but trying to improve.

Hello from the Crossroads of America GrandDad48.

Nice to meet you Larry. 🤝

Welcome to the Forum. 😎

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup
Thanks, dirkclod.

Reactions: Droniac
Welcome. You live in one of my favorite parts of California. No doubt you will find great places to fly.
Thanks, JoelP. Well, the weather is great, but there are 12 airports in the county, so it does make things a bit tight. 😎 But the ability to go from the beaches to 6,000‘ mountains to the desert in 2 hours does make for some varied shooting locations.

When I was in grad school at Riverside in 1970 I flew sailplanes at Perris, Hemet and Elsinore and there were large expanses of desert with nothing but desert plants. That sure changed.

On tip is to look at the BLM land where you can fly freely. Also, if you use a LAANC enabled app like Aloft you can easily file a flight plan and fly in some of that controlled airspace. That app will indicate your max altitude where you don’t need any additional waiver.

When I was in grad school at Riverside in 1970 I flew sailplanes at Perris, Hemet and Elsinore and there were large expanses of desert with nothing but desert plants. That sure changed.

On tip is to look at the BLM land where you can fly freely. Also, if you use a LAANC enabled app like Aloft you can easily file a flight plan and fly in some of that controlled airspace. That app will indicate your max altitude where you don’t need any additional waiver.
Thanks again, JoelP. Other than 3 years in Hawaii in the Navy, I've lived in San Diego's east county my whole life. Yup, the whole area has changed a lot in 50+ years.

I do use LAANC already, but I'll have to check out the BLM areas more closely. I'm currently studying for my Part 107 exam, so I'm getting better at reviewing sectional charts, etc.

Welcome from New Mexico and from a Navy LT Navigator on the USS WILLIAM H. STANDLEY (DLG-32) from 1969 to 1972 with two Vietnam tours. If you're serious about video editing, I recommend the free version of Davinci Resolve. It's powerful and can do a lot. There are plenty of videos on how to learn it, but I recommend the ones by a young guy named Casey Faris.

Welcome from New Mexico and from a Navy LT Navigator on the USS WILLIAM H. STANDLEY (DLG-32) from 1969 to 1972 with two Vietnam tours. If you're serious about video editing, I recommend the free version of Davinci Resolve. It's powerful and can do a lot. There are plenty of videos on how to learn it, but I recommend the ones by a young guy named Casey Faris.
Thanks Dan, I already use CyberLink's PowerDirector 20.

I was in from 1969 to 1978 and was LPO of the sonar gang on the USS Knox (FF1052) out of Pearl and commissioned the USS Fanning (FF1076) out of San Diego. Only reason I stayed in for so long was that they gave me a $10,000, tax free, reenlistment bonus off Vietnam and sent me back to San Diego for 18 months of school. Mama didn't raise no dummy. LOL

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Thanks again, JoelP. Other than 3 years in Hawaii in the Navy, I've lived in San Diego's east county my whole life. Yup, the whole area has changed a lot in 50+ years.

I do use LAANC already, but I'll have to check out the BLM areas more closely. I'm currently studying for my Part 107 exam, so I'm getting better at reviewing sectional charts, etc.
I am sold on Greg Reverdiau’s Pilot Institute course. I passed my 107 exam with a 97%. Good luck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S