DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Istanbul - TURKEY

halilmentes

Reactions
Hey Everyone

I've been a drone pilot for five months. I had a phantom 3 pro but I crashed my P3P into the sea and saved but unfortunately there were lots of problems and I sold it and bought my dream Mavic Pro.

It looks so pretty, I'm interested in photography for a long time, looking forward to meet people from Istanbul and visitors who are in Istanbul. It's such a beautiful city to be dronED :)

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to DronePilots newest forum . :)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Hello!

Any word of the security with drones at the airport? I will be visiting Istanbul in 2 weeks.

Thanks!

As brb198 is asking... is there any new information or tips anyone can provide for travelling with Mavic Pro? I will be travelling to Istanbul and Italy, from my reading on the way there I should not have much problems, but on the way back from Istanbul via the "electronics ban" I will be having Turkish airlines take all my electronics larger than a smartphone and pack them for me to retrieve once landed back in the U.S. I do not intend to fly in Turkey, only in Italy mainly Naples, and amalfi. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I just emailed turkish airlines asking them if I could take my drone and my spare camera batteries with me and they replied with this.

"

Thank you for your email. First of all please note that due to IATA regulations Drones cannot be brought on the planes.

In regards to electrical ban, and what is allowed, please kindly refer to the detailed information below.

I have also below information in regards to Lithium Batteries.

We wish you a pleasant journey on Turkish Airlines

Lithium Batteries:

In regards to Lithium batteries that can be allowed for checked baggage, this is the information that we have;

100wh-160wh per passenger in each check-in baggage. You passenger will be fine, so long as they do not exceed 160wh.

Please find below additional link;

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-int/travel-information/baggage/dangerous-goods

Our hand luggage allowance is 8 kgs per person, and has to be max dimensions of 55x40x23 cm.

Bans apply from Istanbul to UK Airports, on the outward flight there are no restrictions.

The process for Electrical items from Istanbul are;

At the gate there will be dedicated staff that will take the electrical items from the passengers and will get the passengers to sign against their details.

They are then given a stub, similar that of boarding passes, which passengers needs to keep, as it will have their reference number on them.

These items get wrapped individually in bubble wrap and then placed in secure hard suitcases which gets loaded in the hold of the aircraft.

When the aircraft lands in UK, these luggages gets offloaded and my colleagues will them take these over, and set up a stand in Baggage reclaim next to the baggage belt.

Passengers can then collect their electronic items once my colleagues there have cross referenced and checked the information.

Power Bank information;

As per new regulations POWER BANKS over 16.0cm long, 9.3 cm wide and 1.5 cm are not allowed in the hand luggage nor in the hold luggage therefore are considered prohibited items. Therefore the power bank was probably kept in Istanbul and cannot be sent to LHR.

“Definition of devices to which the measures apply ; The measures apply to laptops, tablets and phones except those with dimensions smaller than 16.0cm long, 9.3 cm wide and 1.5 cm deep. For the avoidance of doubt we consider this would include e-readers.

The measures also apply to certain peripherals for use with such devices, which for these purposes should be taken to comprise

- Keyboards

- Power cable transformers

- Spare or separate device batteries

- Portable power sources

- External hard drives

again except for those with dimension smaller than those shown above Existing safety regulations state that spare/separate batteries and portable power sources of any size cannot be carried in hold baggage. Our new request prohibits such items designed for use with laptops, tablets and phones, from the cabin of the aircraft if the peripheral item itself is not within the dimensions highlighted above. Therefore such items can no longer be carried in the aircraft cabin or hold on affected routes.

Electrical Restrictions;

All Lap tops

All Tablets such as Ipads

All E-Readers such as Kindles

Mobiles phones larger than 16cm in length 9.3cm wide 1.5cm deep

The following ‘Plus’ Phones are permitted

• iPhone 7 Plus

• Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge

• Samsung Galaxy Note 3

• LG G3

• Sony Xperia Z2

These regulations come into force from midnight local time on Saturday 25th March.

The restrictions apply to all passengers travelling from Istanbul or through Istanbul, eg if your journey is Bangkok-Istanbul-London

The restrictions DO NOT apply on flights departing from the United Kingdom"

As far as I understand I cannot travel with the drone however I cannot see how putting this in your check in baggage will be a problem. Even telling me that 160wh was the limit. I do not know where they got IATA regulations doesn't allow a drone to be brought onto a plane sounds like nonsense to me. Do you guys recommend me putting it into my check in with the battery disconnected from the drone. The electronic device ban is only when coming into UK and not going out so I'm guessing I either have to risk getting my battery confiscated or check it in? I hope this has cleared things up however I am still confused to how some of you have flown with your Mavic when I was told it was not allowed :s

This is also what I have been sent by Turkish airlines. This looks very helpful and there is now hope for us.

By the look of the picture they prefer you put your electronic devices in your hold luggage however even if you carried lipos on you they will end up putting it in the hold in their own firesafe cases and return it to you at the baggage claim.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 10
  • image.png
    image.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 10
  • image.png
    image.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 7
This is also what I have been sent by Turkish airlines. This looks very helpful and there is now hope for us.

By the look of the picture they prefer you put your electronic devices in your hold luggage however even if you carried lipos on you they will end up putting it in the hold in their own firesafe cases and return it to you at the baggage claim.

This seems to be VERY legit, THANK YOU FOR THE POSTING OF THIS INFORMATION!!!

I hope if everyone takes the necessary precautions ( draining of batteries and using lipo bags) seems TA is making it easier for us to bring our technologies

This seems to be VERY legit, THANK YOU FOR THE POSTING OF THIS INFORMATION!!!

I hope if everyone takes the necessary precautions ( draining of batteries and using lipo bags) seems TA is making it easier for us to bring our technologies

Your very welcome ! I have heard of some instances where people have lost items when handing items over to be put into the special hold compartment. Safest bet is to check the drone in your hold baggage and hand the lipos in which eventually get put in the hold seperately.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929