DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Niagara Falls, Canada

Smallj53

Premium Pilot
Reactions
So another member said hello from Niagara Falls and I get my courage up to say hello to the friendliest forum on the internet!

I regret to say I have been lurking here for about a year. But any question I might ask was just a forum search away and I had so little flying experience...didn't feel I had much to offer anyone.

Anyway, not feeling that way anymore. I have a post in mind. A picture and a question--can you spot the nòob mistake? How many seconds did it take you? Upcoming. Looking forward to it.

So. Niagara Falls. Can't fly anywhere in the city and don't even think of doing the Falls itself. The helicopters fly so low, it would be so stressful. I had to pull my mini down at Fireman's Park, a helicopter for sure was at minimum altitude, if not lower.

Anyway, when you come to Niagara Falls, fly at the privately owned Fireman's Park. Great views can be had from the hill which is actually the old city dump! (You would never know, it's all covered with fill now.) See you there!

Hello from the Crossroads of America Smallj53.

I've been to the falls twice so far and it's quite fantastic.

Welcome to the Forum. ?

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

Niagara Falls. Can't fly anywhere in the city and don't even think of doing the Falls itself.
Anyway, when you come to Niagara Falls, fly at the privately owned Fireman's Park.
I grew up next door to you in Beamsville.

Fireman's Park gives you a nice view off the escarpment. Just be aware of all the various restrictions of where you're allowed to fly or not. I see you already know about the restriction over the Falls themselves. But, you need to be an astronaut in order to keep up with all the various Transport Canada rules. Like you, I now fly a Mavic Mini, since the under 250gram micro category makes life so much simpler. The "only" rule that applies is CARS 900.06, i.e. the Don't be an idiot rule.

It covers a lot of ground though, as it says,
900.06 No person shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person.

The NRC drone site tool is quite useful. nrc.canada.ca/en/drone-tool/
Click on the Gameboy controller symbol on the left (circled in red) to choose Micro, Basic, or Advanced operations. Here's the map for Micro flight operations, marking the location of your Firemen's Park.
Micro.jpg

Note that the red circled and red-filled area (Surface to 3500ft) over the Niagara Falls themselves actually is a Class-F flight restricted zone applicable to everything, including sub-250 micro-drones. Similar Class-F restrictions apply to prisons, Parliament Hill, etc.

Sub-250g micros are not restricted from flying within any of the other indicated zones. (Firemen's Park is within the St.Catharines control zone.) The smaller red circles mark heliports, the red-dotted fan-shape marks the runways of St.Catharines airport. No law actually excludes under-250g micros from flying there, BUT the red borders indicate areas within which you certainly risk being seen as flying recklessly or negligently if you ever do choose to fly there. Just be smart.

If you fly anything weighing greater than 250grams, then you need to register it and you need at least a Basic licence. In that case, the map changes to this. Note: Basic operations are NOT permitted within any control zone or within any of the red-filled circles around heliports. You and I can happily fly our sub-250 gram Minis in Firemen's Park, but nobody with a Basic licence can fly a Phantom 3 Pro there (even if it's registered), as that park lies within the St.Catharines control zone. Brilliant, eh?
Basic.jpg

In order to legally fly my Phantom in your park, I would first need to acquire an Advanced licence and obtain the proper permissions from the St.Catharines control tower. Sheesh. The Advanced operations map looks like this. Note that the Falls themselves, now coloured orange like everything else, is still a Class-F restricted zone. Even with an Advanced licence, you'd still need special permissions and approvals to fly there.
Advanced.jpg

And then, just to confuse things even more, you need to consider DJI's interpretation of all this mess as per their GEO Zone map. www.dji.com/ca/flysafe/geo-map Be sure to select your Mavic Mini from the drop down list, and checkmark the boxes below the map for Warning Zones, and Enhanced Warning Zones, as those are left initially unchecked by default.

Note that on DJI's system, the Falls area is only categorized as an Enhanced Warning Zone. If you try to fly there, the app will pop up a warning you need to acknowledge to accept all the risks before being allowed to fly, even though it's totally illegal to do so. Conversely, DJI will prevent even your sub-250 Mini from flying in other designated Authorization or Restricted Zones, even though it is actually legal to fly sub-250 in those areas (if you can manage it without being deemed reckless or negligent).

Luckily for you, DJI's GEO Zone map for the Mavic Mini indicates that Firemen's Park is in a freely unrestricted area.
DJI GeoZonesMini.jpg

But if I select my Phantom 3 Pro from the drop down list, DJI's map instead changes to this below. Firemen's Park is now shown as being with an Enhanced Warning Zone. Man, this stuff hurts my head.
DJI GeoZonesP3P.jpg

Even worse though, in order to pass the test for obtaining a Basic or Advanced licence, Transport Canada expects you to be able to interpret aeronautical charts like this one! (I added the yellow highlighting around the special notice for Niagara Falls.)
CYR518.jpg

I sure do love my sub-250g Mavic Mini,

Attachments

• DJI GeoZonesP3P.jpg
    DJI GeoZonesP3P.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 3

Fireman's Park gives you a nice view off the escarpment. Just be aware of all the various restrictions of where you're allowed to fly or not. I see you already know about the restriction over the Falls themselves. But, you need to be an astronaut in order to keep up with all the various Transport Canada rules. Like you, I now fly a Mavic Mini, since the under 250gram micro category makes life so much simpler. The "only" rule that applies is CARS 900.06, i.e. the Don't be an idiot rule.

900.06 No person shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person.

Click on the Gameboy controller symbol on the left (circled in red) to choose Micro, Basic, or Advanced operations. Here's the map for Micro flight operations, marking the location of your Firemen's Park.
View attachment 127939

Note that the red circled and red-filled area (Surface to 3500ft) over the Niagara Falls themselves actually is a Class-F flight restricted zone applicable to everything, including sub-250 micro-drones. Similar Class-F restrictions apply to prisons, Parliament Hill, etc.

Sub-250g micros are not restricted from flying within any of the other indicated zones. (Firemen's Park is within the St.Catharines control zone.) The smaller red circles mark heliports, the red-dotted fan-shape marks the runways of St.Catharines airport. No law actually excludes under-250g micros from flying there, BUT the red borders indicate areas within which you certainly risk being seen as flying recklessly or negligently if you ever do choose to fly there. Just be smart.

If you fly anything weighing greater than 250grams, then you need to register it and you need at least a Basic licence. In that case, the map changes to this. Note: Basic operations are NOT permitted within any control zone or within any of the red-filled circles around heliports. You and I can happily fly our sub-250 gram Minis in Firemen's Park, but nobody with a Basic licence can fly a Phantom 3 Pro there (even if it's registered), as that park lies within the St.Catharines control zone. Brilliant, eh?
View attachment 127940

In order to legally fly my Phantom in your park, I would first need to acquire an Advanced licence and obtain the proper permissions from the St.Catharines control tower. Sheesh. The Advanced operations map looks like this. Note that the Falls themselves, now coloured orange like everything else, is still a Class-F restricted zone. Even with an Advanced licence, you'd still need special permissions and approvals to fly there.
View attachment 127941

And then, just to confuse things even more, you need to consider DJI's interpretation of all this mess as per their GEO Zone map. www.dji.com/ca/flysafe/geo-map Be sure to select your Mavic Mini from the drop down list, and checkmark the boxes below the map for Warning Zones, and Enhanced Warning Zones, as those are left initially unchecked by default.

Note that on DJI's system, the Falls area is only categorized as an Enhanced Warning Zone. If you try to fly there, the app will pop up a warning you need to acknowledge to accept all the risks before being allowed to fly, even though it's totally illegal to do so. Conversely, DJI will prevent even your sub-250 Mini from flying in other designated Authorization or Restricted Zones, even though it is actually legal to fly sub-250 in those areas (if you can manage it without being deemed reckless or negligent).

Luckily for you, DJI's GEO Zone map for the Mavic Mini indicates that Firemen's Park is in a freely unrestricted area.
View attachment 127942

But if I select my Phantom 3 Pro from the drop down list, DJI's map instead changes to this below. Firemen's Park is now shown as being with an Enhanced Warning Zone. Man, this stuff hurts my head.
View attachment 127948

Even worse though, in order to pass the test for obtaining a Basic or Advanced licence, Transport Canada expects you to be able to interpret aeronautical charts like this one! (I added the yellow highlighting around the special notice for Niagara Falls.)
View attachment 127950

Wow, what a nice read on this stuff.
Thanks for sharing.

After reading this, It makes the mini and mini2 a very temping back up drone in case the others are restricted.

Sub-250 gram Minis are brilliant. They remove so much of the stress of trying to keep up and cope with all the ridiculous legal restrictions when you're merely having fun flying your model aircraft or enjoying taking scenic aerial photos/videos.

Of course you still need to avoid National, Provincial, and certain Municipal Parks, and you need to treat your neighbours with respect, especially your crazy shotgun-toting next door neighbour who's convinced you're just trying to spy in bedroom windows, etc.

As long as you're making an honest effort not to be reckless or negligent, the Mini is golden!

So another member said hello from Niagara Falls and I get my courage up to say hello to the friendliest forum on the internet!

I regret to say I have been lurking here for about a year. But any question I might ask was just a forum search away and I had so little flying experience...didn't feel I had much to offer anyone.

Anyway, not feeling that way anymore. I have a post in mind. A picture and a question--can you spot the nòob mistake? How many seconds did it take you? Upcoming. Looking forward to it.

So. Niagara Falls. Can't fly anywhere in the city and don't even think of doing the Falls itself. The helicopters fly so low, it would be so stressful. I had to pull my mini down at Fireman's Park, a helicopter for sure was at minimum altitude, if not lower.

Anyway, when you come to Niagara Falls, fly at the privately owned Fireman's Park. Great views can be had from the hill which is actually the old city dump! (You would never know, it's all covered with fill now.) See you there!
Welcome to the forum from Calgary. You have the falls and I have the Rockies. What a beautiful country we live in.
Cheers,
Rex

A big warm welcome from London, U.K.

View attachment 127939

View attachment 127940

View attachment 127941

View attachment 127942

View attachment 127948

View attachment 127950

Wow. What a lot of work you did here, Zbip57! I am going to print this and keep it in a safe place. You must be very passionate about drones.

I was planning to get a mavic air 2 or 2s in the next year or so, but maybe I won't bother. I read another post from a dji owner on Amazon.ca and he flies mini in the GTA because getting permission to fly the ma 2 with a basic license just gets denied.

Actually, in a strange kind of way your post is encouraging, for mini flying. If only the idiot rule applies for the mini, I can fly anywhere that is not proof positive for stupidity!

Reactions: Steel63
You must be very passionate about drones.
Mostly I get passionate about senseless over-regulation. I grew up in the Niagara area and flew model airplanes in our backyard, in my school playground, then with the St.Catharines model club. I then progressed to a private pilot's licence, with night rating, flying a Piper Cherokee out of the St.Catharines airport, now called Niagara District Airport.

My first "drone" was the original DJI Phantom 1. The appeal for me was that it comes ready to fly, is dead simple to fly, can carry a GoPro camera for aerial videos, and has vertical takeoff capability so it can take off and land anywhere. How cool is that?

That exact same "don't be stupid" regulation has always applied to all model aircraft, including "drones". Unfortunately, because these new drones are so simple to fly, any idiot can fly them, and they do, in stupid places.

As a result we now have a ton of ridiculous regulations. Unfortunately, like many regulations (eg. gun regulations), these directly affect the already responsible types of people, who aren't causing problems, who invest the time and effort to study, learn, and understand the regs and then meticulously comply with every one of them. The idiots of the world at best will take one brief glance at that mess, throw up their hands and say the regs are too complicated to understand, then will happily and ignorantly continue to do stupid things unless they're caught and punished.

Why, if you're conscientously not being reckless or negligent, are you allowed to fly your Mini in Firemen's Park, but not a Phantom? It is perfectly okay to fly your sub-250 gram Mini there. But if you add the prop guards (which only makes is safer) you would need an Advanced certificate and all the proper checklists, log books, flight clearances etc in order to get permission to fly in exact the same manner in the same location. Note that a Basic licence is not enough, since Basic operations are not permitted in that park as it lies within the control zone of the Niagara District Airport.

I was planning to get a mavic air 2 or 2s in the next year or so, but maybe I won't bother.
You would need to register it, and have at least a Basic licence to fly that anywhere in Canada. If you have a valid need to fly it within an airport control zone (i.e. Firemen's Park), then you'd need an Advanced licence and pass a Flight Review. Sheesh.

I'm not saying that's impossible. Many, many, people have invested the time, money, and effort to jump through all the hoops required to earn those credentials to fly legally. And it's those people, more than anyone, who justifiably get incensed when the idiots are loose to do stupid things.

If only the idiot rule applies for the mini, I can fly anywhere that is not proof positive for stupidity!
Just be aware, that there are places where not even the Mini is permitted to be flown. The temptation is very strong to fly over Niagara Falls. If you stay low out of the way of the sight-seeing helicopters, and away from the crowds of tourists, you could argue all you want that you're not being reckless or negligent, but it's still illegal.

Don Joyce made a sensible video on this issue.

Reactions: Steel63

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa