DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Northern Ireland

The Fat Controller

Reactions
Been lurking on the forum for a couple of months now and picked up a lot of useful information, thanks all. Got my Mavic Pro two weeks ago. Read the manual, read the manual, updated the firmware on the Mavic, read the manual, updated the firmware on the batteries, downloaded Litchi, read the manual. Maiden flight yesterday went without a hitch. I suppose all I need to do now is go off and have a crash just to complete things.

--
Paul
Bangor NI

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Been lurking on the forum for a couple of months now and picked up a lot of useful information, thanks all. Got my Mavic Pro two weeks ago. Read the manual, read the manual, updated the firmware on the Mavic, read the manual, updated the firmware on the batteries, downloaded Litchi, read the manual. Maiden flight yesterday went without a hitch. I suppose all I need to do now is go off and have a crash just to complete things.

--
Paul
Bangor NI
Howdy from Wyoming The Fat Controller, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)
I thought it would be a bit rude to join the forum and then jump in with a lot of questions so I have lurked a lot and found answers to most of the questions I had. I don't suppose there are too many members from here Northern Ireland. Politically things are improving very slowly here but we've came a long way from where we were. It's not that many years ago that the security situation here would have meant drones would have been banned outright. There is little bit of footage on YouTube and the Litchi hub but not that much. Once I get a bit more experience I hope to do my bit to rectify that. We have some really good scenery here, worth showing off

Reactions: dirkclod
Hi all just a quick hello from a new Mavic owner and having just found this forum. Like Paul I'm in Northern Ireland. I am currently reading the manual and watching videos before taking the plunge and trying to fly the machine.

John

Hi all just a quick hello from a new Mavic owner and having just found this forum. Like Paul I'm in Northern Ireland. I am currently reading the manual and watching videos before taking the plunge and trying to fly the machine.

John
Hi John, welcome to the forum. As you know there's plenty of great scenery here to capture. Just a matter of getting out and enjoying it

Thanks Paul. I cant wait but I'm trying to be patient and get it right. I'm Bangor also have you flown locally yet?

John

Hi John,
I'm trying to think of somewhere with enough empty space, so far I've only had a couple of flights in the garden. Ward Park near the tennis courts looks promising but there's nearly always activities on, even if it's only a few dog walkers. The pitches behind Lidl or the Valentine playing fields could also be ok. The NATS app shows most of that side of Bangor as being in the George Best airport restricted area. I was looking at Portavoe reservoir but it's hard to get a day that's not too wet and/or windy. I've flown and crashed plenty of toy drones but, I'm reluctant to send the Mavic too far until I get a bit more practice.

Reactions: Scott70
I thought about the valentines as well used to whack golf balls around it years ago. I powered up yesterday and saw that I was within the City Control Area. It would let me fly but urged caution. I have thought about the coastal path with the drone over rocks/water but as you say need a lot of experience and confidence before releasing over land never mind the Lough.
I bowl at Pickie Bc and might ask them if I can train over the green as it is closed for the winter.

Hi Paul a Happy New Year to you. I have still only had the Mavic up at 7 feet within the confines of my back garden.

Just checking if you have found any suitable locations in the area yet?

John

Happy New Year John. I've had the Mavic up 2 or 3 times from my garden, mainly because the weather has been unsuitable for flying. As well as that any time it looks anyway half decent I head off for a long walk as my doc has given me a target weight and if I achieve it he's stopping my tablets. It's going well as he has already halved the dose. Our problem is that we're on the coast and when we do get the odd dry or sunny day it's often too windy. While there are quite a few posts on the forum about the Mavic's ability to fly in wind I'm still reluctant to send it up in less than ideal conditions. I suppose when I get a lot more experience I'll be less nervous, here's hoping.

Hi John and Paul - I'm just northeast of Lough Neagh, out in the country but fairly flat so good for learning. All fields so today I learned the art of hand launching and catching! Already got help to sort an initial problem on here, great forum.

Hi John and Paul - I'm just northeast of Lough Neagh, out in the country but fairly flat so good for learning. All fields so today I learned the art of hand launching and catching! Already got help to sort an initial problem on here, great forum.
Hi again triplog. Yes, this forum is very useful if you need info. I tend to lurk and read a lot and post, not so much. Have you been out near Slemish by any chance? I've climbed it before with a camera but fancy a revisit with the Mavic. It's not quite a climb, more of a scramble really, but from what I remember there aren't too many buildings around, just lots of open space. Problem, as always is getting a relatively wind-free day.

Hiya, I need a bit more practice before I head off! Slemish would be good but everything just looks flat when you're up on it. If you're coming up this direction have a look or Google "Robin Young's Hill" and "Sallagh Braes" both just behind Ballygalley on the coast. Two fantastic dramatic locations. Those will be my first two places for some videoing.

I forgot all about Sallagh Braes, have walked there a couple of times, from the car park, once going left towards Belfast and once heading right towards Glenarm. Would never have known about it if a workmate who lives in Carrickfergus hadn't mentioned it. There's a lot of places I've been to and taken photos of which will need to be revisited for the aerial shots.

That's my predicament now - I do a lot of hillwalking and biking - so where first!!!

That's my predicament now - I do a lot of hillwalking and biking - so where first!!!
They talk about 'Our Wee Country'. It's plenty big enough if you want to go here, there, and everywhere taking photos.

Reactions: Triplog
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett