DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Oregon

mraroid

Reactions
Hello from the Pacific Northwest part of the US. I am in Salem Oregon.

I am new to drones. I bought the fly more kit with the Mavic Mini. I have flown in my living room, and today or tomorrow hope to fly outside in a clear, open field.

I have been watching You Tube videos on the MM. I think I know enough to fly outside for the first time. I do not expect to do any thing fancy - just learn how the controls work, and try to shoot some footage.

I had a extra SanDisk extreme 128 GB mico SD card. So I put that in the mini and it formatted just fine.

My cell phone is a Samsung galaxy 9 +. I am not sure how I will take to editing my 2.7K video on a small cell phone screen. But I will give it a try. I wish the same video editing software in the DJI Fly app could be loaded onto a desktop computer where I could see the video on a large screen.

My number one goal for my first flight outside is to not crash. If I can do that, I will be happy. Wish me luck.

mraroid

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching. Thumbswayup

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Thomas B - thank you for the links. I down loaded the DJI Assistant 2 Mavic to my windows 10 desktop. When I tried to install it, Windows Defender thought it saw a threat, and stopped the app and quarantined it, then removed it.

I am not sure what that was all about. I have another windows 10 computer at home. I will try again on another computer and see what happens.

Am I the only one this has happened to?

mraroid

I am new to drones. I bought the fly more kit with the Mavic Mini. I have flown in my living room, and today or tomorrow hope to fly outside in a clear, open field.

I have been watching You Tube videos on the MM. I think I know enough to fly outside for the first time. I do not expect to do any thing fancy - just learn how the controls work, and try to shoot some footage.

I had a extra SanDisk extreme 128 GB mico SD card. So I put that in the mini and it formatted just fine.

My cell phone is a Samsung galaxy 9 +. I am not sure how I will take to editing my 2.7K video on a small cell phone screen. But I will give it a try. I wish the same video editing software in the DJI Fly app could be loaded onto a desktop computer where I could see the video on a large screen.

My number one goal for my first flight outside is to not crash. If I can do that, I will be happy. Wish me luck.

mraroid
Hello from another drone pilot in Salem Oregon. I'm actually located south of Salem

Welcome to the forum! :)

Hello Hydrostan....

I was going to fly today, but it is still raining at my house and the wind is kicking up. Have you found a good place to fly in the Salem area? I am looking for a open field so I can practice.

mraroid (I am in NE Salem)
Minto Island Park has a nice open area where you can stay out of trouble. Yes, no flying today...VERY windy. Maybe we can meet out there one day and discuss our drone adventures?

Last edited:
Hello Hydrosta... Thanks for the post. I am new to drones. Yes, lets meet up some time and perhaps go flying. I will try to send you private email on this forum with my contact information. I am retired so I often have free time during the week. I do go to the gym in the mornings on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, but other times I am free. Keep in touch. mraroid

Greetings Gindra! I see you have a fancy Mavic 2 Zoom. I just made my second outside flight with the Mavic Mini. The good news is that I did not crash. The bad news is that my video is not at all as good as the ones I see on You Tube. I have a lot to learn...

Where abouts in Oregon are you?
mraroid
We're outside of Newberg. Wine Country.

Re Video: Are you downloading the videos from the SD card in the drone? That is the only way to get the higher quality videos.

Newberg! No so far away.

I pull the micro SD card out of the MM, and then manually move the video to my desktop computer. Yesterday when I was in the air, it was overcast and not the best light to be making a video. I have learned to point the nose down, adjust the exposure, and then lock the exposure. That is helpful.

Also, I have not memorized controls yet. So when I wish to make the MM fly to the right, I will use the wrong control and make the drone fly up or backwards. I am such a dork at the sticks! I am thinking about taping little notes to the controller to remind me which way is up down and slid ways. I try to not fly very far away, but I loose sight of the pail off white color of the drone next to our overcast sky here in Oregon. I wish the drone was black or some other color so I could see it. With me at the sticks, I can also turn the drone around by mistake, and then the controls are backwards. I have so much to learn!

I have read about a stick on thing you can buy in many different colors. I might buy that so I can see the drone more easily. It is pre cut out, so you clean the drone, and then stick on the fabric like material. It will push the MM over the 249 gram limit.

Maybe my videos will come out better once the sun comes out.... ??

How has your flying been? Have you been able to make some nice videos? Making some nice looking shots from the air is the main reason I bought a drone.

I have down loaded the free Davinci Resolve 16. I bought a Davinci Resolve 16 book and have been watching tutorials on You Tube. The software is complex, but I think it will do what I need it to do with my drone footage.

mraroid in Salem Oregon, USA

Newberg! No so far away.

I pull the micro SD card out of the MM, and then manually move the video to my desktop computer. Yesterday when I was in the air, it was overcast and not the best light to be making a video. I have learned to point the nose down, adjust the exposure, and then lock the exposure. That is helpful.

Also, I have not memorized controls yet. So when I wish to make the MM fly to the right, I will use the wrong control and make the drone fly up or backwards. I am such a dork at the sticks! I am thinking about taping little notes to the controller to remind me which way is up down and slid ways. I try to not fly very far away, but I loose sight of the pail off white color of the drone next to our overcast sky here in Oregon. I wish the drone was black or some other color so I could see it. With me at the sticks, I can also turn the drone around by mistake, and then the controls are backwards. I have so much to learn!

I have read about a stick on thing you can buy in many different colors. I might buy that so I can see the drone more easily. It is pre cut out, so you clean the drone, and then stick on the fabric like material. It will push the MM over the 249 gram limit.

Maybe my videos will come out better once the sun comes out.... ??

How has your flying been? Have you been able to make some nice videos? Making some nice looking shots from the air is the main reason I bought a drone.

I have down loaded the free Davinci Resolve 16. I bought a Davinci Resolve 16 book and have been watching tutorials on You Tube. The software is complex, but I think it will do what I need it to do with my drone footage.

mraroid in Salem Oregon, USA
I'm fairly new to photography myself so am overwhelmed by the process! I try to shoot stills in RAW and then color grade and adjust in post. Using Movario for that now but also have Davinici and Lightroom. For videos I use iMovie which gives me the basics. Since Hollywood hasn't discovered me yet I guess iMovie will do just fine for a while.

My favorite place to fly has been the Oregon Coast.

Here's a still I took just before a storm hit the vineyard across the road from me. Rainbow over Vineyard.jpg

Here's a still I took just before a storm hit the vineyard across the road from me. View attachment 95095

Wow! Lovely photo. I have not tried taking still photos yet. It is next on my list. I have been playing with Davinici 16 (I have a PC) and it is sure busting my chops! I even bought a book and I am lost. I do have one Apple computer - It is my Apple Color Classic from 1993 or 1994. Lovely color Sony 10 inch CRT screen. But I think Lightroom or FCP would break it.

I will have to try flying at the coast. We have two other new pilots here in Salem. Maybe we can all head to the coast together and fly sometime?

mraroid

Welcome to the forum mraroid . . . nice bird! It takes excellent video for its size. I'm highly impressed. You will love it. I'm sure you are aware of the blow-away issues in light to medium winds so be careful. Also, do a search for editing software for your desktop . . . there literally dozens of free options out there that are user friendly.

Be safe! Enjoy that new bird . . .

Thank you for the welcome Skywatcher2001.

I just installed DeVinci Resolve 16. It is very complicated, but I hope I can learn the basics soon. But as of now, I just look at it and I am puzzled. I hope that changes soon.

mraroid

Reactions: Steel63

mraroid
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new Mavic Mini, Fly safe and have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo