DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello! From Ottawa, Ontario, Canada!

Glasswalker

Reactions
Hey! So first post :)

Complete DJI newbie, but been flying Single and Multi Rotors for a while now. Have a few other quads (racers) that I've built, designed and built a UAV Quad for Darpa back in the day, been flying single and multi rotor RC "helis" for close to a decade.

Been wanting to invest in a camera platform for a while now, and was going to build, but my Wife actually convinced me the Mavic was the way to go. She's been following Casey Neistat for a while, and knew all about the Mavic (it's uncommon for her to get the jump on me on something tech related lol).

I work in the high-tech industry, currently CTO of a software development startup.

So I literally just ordered my Mavic straight from DJI about half an hour ago. And I'm super excited. Been doing tons of research, etc. And now I can't wait to get my hands on it. (going to wear out the refresh button refreshing the shipping status page lol)

Hoping/planning on documenting my adventure with it (from unboxing, to first newbie mistakes, etc)

Also another motivator to pick one up now, is that I'm also starting a project to build a software solution for managing drones, and analysing the data they generate. So soon you should start hearing more about that from me as well (and I'll be reaching out the community to gather some data points to work on it, from DJI and other drones as well, I want it to be truly platform/vendor agnostic).

Anyway, glad to be here, and I want to say thanks as I've been lurking in this community doing my research leading up to buying the Mavic. So looking forward to contributing back and "joining" the community in earnest once my Mavic arrives!

Also eager to meet other Ottawa fliers (I know there are at least a few on here), maybe we can fly together sometime!

Is it here yet?
Is it here yet?
Is it here yet?

lol :)

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for
current developments in Mavic quadcopter’s. If you’re new to RC aircraft be sure to read the manual a few times and watch lots of Youtube videos on the subject to give yourself a good start.
Enjoy! Thumbswayup

MAVIC MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20170301/UserManual/Mavic_Pro_User_Manual_en_v1.4.pdf

Welcome to DronePilots newest forum . :)

Welcome, but the new regulations may prevent us Canadians and guests from flying except on MAAC approved airfields. It's going to be so much fun videoing our airstrip over and over :-(

Welcome, but the new regulations may prevent us Canadians and guests from flying except on MAAC approved airfields. It's going to be so much fun videoing our airstrip over and over :-(
Ah don't be so doom & gloom :)

I've been following the threads on the new rules, and I've reviewed them in detail.

Ultimately nothing has changed from the restrictions point of view.

We were always expected to stay:
5 Nautical Miles from any Aerodrome
150m from a building, person, animal, vehicle
No higher than 300 feet
No night flying
Un-assisted VLOS at all times.

All that the new rules have changed is that now instead of being a regulation that we're expected to follow (but isn't enforced directly), it's now law, and a fine MAY be attached (note MAXIMUM fine, not minimum).

The big issue I have with this announcement is how it's really about political grand-standing and serves no real benefit to public safety, but it makes the administration look like they are "taking strong measures to protect public safety from the big scary drone threat" which the un-informed public are afraid of because they don't understand it.

This will just serve to increase the animosity and fear around our hobby, and cause more confrontations, (and now that there is real enforcement on the rules, more often legit safe fliers will get punished).

Still perfectly legal to fly, just requires a lot more diligence about where/when you fly.

Also the REAL new rules are coming later this summer (in theory) they have been underway for years now. They will require basic licensing (think like a hunting or boating license) of pilots, and registration/marking of drones. They also put in place basically the same restrictions that have always been in effect, but in a more controlled fashion, etc... These "Emergency" measures, are temporary, until the real deal comes out "soon".

I live in Ottawa, right between 2 airport zones, so I can't fly at home, or within a 5-10 min drive of home. But still plenty of cool places to fly that are perfectly legal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird