DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Perth Western Australia

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for
current developments in Mavic quadcopter’s. Read the manual a few times and watch lots of Youtube videos on the subject to give yourself a good start.
Enjoy! Thumbswayup

Welcome to DronePilots newest forum . :)

Where do you normally fly? I only just got the Mavic so been flying around the Joondalup lakes out of the way of anyone else.

Seems reliable enough, batteries seem to hold up and no flight issues, so I will start to look at exploring some other places.

Hey Justin Hows the Mav going I pick up mine tonight, any tips.

Hey, going great.

I got the leg extensions, circ pol filter, ND 4 to 32 (32 required for summer in Australia), lost of spare CF cards, make sure they are very fast, if you dont get ones capable of swallowing 4K footage the Mavic will stop recording all the time. I have attached a tile to help find it if I ever lose it in the bush. Its BT and you can make it beep when you are within 200 or so meters. I got a Sun hood, its a bit of a waste of time, it gets in the way more often than not. I also 3D printed some battery contact covers. I have batter bags coming for when I travel.I have a stick protector for the controller. Get one, best thing ever if you are using the DJI bag. I use a iPhone 6S plus, I made myself a iPad mount, but prefer the iPhone.

I have tried Litchi and using VR goggles, its OK, but I would like to try the DJI ones.

I edit in Final Cut on a Mac

I pretty well always shoot in 4K, D-log.

That covers what I have and how I set it up. I am in Woodvale, if you are close I dont mind helping, there is a great place to fly close and keep out of everyones way. You can get 1km away from the controller before you see civilisation again. Has some great old ruins to video.

Hey, going great.

I got the leg extensions, circ pol filter, ND 4 to 32 (32 required for summer in Australia), lost of spare CF cards, make sure they are very fast, if you dont get ones capable of swallowing 4K footage the Mavic will stop recording all the time. I have attached a tile to help find it if I ever lose it in the bush. Its BT and you can make it beep when you are within 200 or so meters. I got a Sun hood, its a bit of a waste of time, it gets in the way more often than not. I also 3D printed some battery contact covers. I have batter bags coming for when I travel.I have a stick protector for the controller. Get one, best thing ever if you are using the DJI bag. I use a iPhone 6S plus, I made myself a iPad mount, but prefer the iPhone.

I have tried Litchi and using VR goggles, its OK, but I would like to try the DJI ones.

I edit in Final Cut on a Mac

I pretty well always shoot in 4K, D-log.

That covers what I have and how I set it up. I am in Woodvale, if you are close I dont mind helping, there is a great place to fly close and keep out of everyones way. You can get 1km away from the controller before you see civilisation again. Has some great old ruins to video.

Wow you've got it all sorted out it seems.

I also use iPhone 6s haven't got any accessories yet but I bought it with the More Fly Pack.

Theres someone in Padbury that sells the accessories, so ill go there this week.

I lIve in Kingsley so we are virtually neighbours.

Id love to get together for a see where you go and we can compare Mavs.

I guess your talking about North Woodvale or Joondalup or Goollelal lake they look to be great areas both photographically and space with little chance of upsetting anyone.

Im using the simulator, but there's nothing like the real thing to get the blood racing I guess.

Lets get together when it suits.

Wow you've got it all sorted out it seems.

I also use iPhone 6s haven't got any accessories yet but I bought it with the More Fly Pack.

Theres someone in Padbury that sells the accessories, so ill go there this week.

I lIve in Kingsley so we are virtually neighbours.

Id love to get together for a see where you go and we can compare Mavs.

I guess your talking about North Woodvale or Joondalup or Goollelal lake they look to be great areas both photographically and space with little chance of upsetting anyone.

Im using the simulator, but there's nothing like the real thing to get the blood racing I guess.

Lets get together when it suits.

I never tried the sim. I just went out and flew it around. After 1/2 hour you pretty well have a handle on it. I then tried all the modes. Then it's just confidence to fly it to its limits.

Just south of the lakes in Woodvale there is an old abandon farm. I fly there. There is some old building and some lakes, 1000s of Kangaroos. I normally test there as there is no one to annoy and if it crashes you can just walk to it and pick up the bits. No people to hit. ;).

They basically fly them selves. You just have to tell it what direction to go.

Haven't got there yet probs the weekend. Busy at work and home. Do you fly near WOODVALE high school ? I notice just north of there is a restricted area because of pierce airbase ?

The "Safe to fly" App aimed at drones and done in conjunction with CASA shows the RAAF base but the restricted area is many Kms away, So there should be no issue with flying in Woodvale. All the flights between Garden Island and the base that come close to Woodvale should be above 500 ft (and to the north), so if you stick to 400ft no issue. But for photos and video there isnt really a reason to go above 50m.

If you have a link to the restricted area info you have I will check it out.

The "Safe to fly" App aimed at drones and done in conjunction with CASA shows the RAAF base but the restricted area is many Kms away, So there should be no issue with flying in Woodvale. All the flights between Garden Island and the base that come close to Woodvale should be above 500 ft (and to the north), so if you stick to 400ft no issue. But for photos and video there isnt really a reason to go above 50m.

If you have a link to the restricted area info you have I will check it out.

Hey dude nice to meet you on Saturday, I've got your mat with me, you can get it on your return from India.

Was good to meet you. Post up you days footage. If you saw I posted the footage I was taking. Give you an idea of whats around the area. I ran into another Mavic flyer at the north end of the lake system.

Im back already, had to cut the trip short with a death in the family to take care of. Its work, I will be back up there shortly, and many times.

I forgot the matt one day, so it become the default landing mat for everyone that flies down there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cut.Aussie
Wow that's great footage. Mine is crappy in comparison, but I enjoyed the buzz of flying. Ill leave the ma there next time then, probs on the weekend. Sorry to hear about the family thing.

No problem.. I was going to go there today, but went up to Yanchep instead. But the smoke made it a bit crappy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3