DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello From SEPA USA

Walleye Hunter

Reactions
Hi folks,

I am brand new to the drone world and this looked like a good forum so I'm giving it a look see. I hail from SEPA in a rural area. My buddy has DJI Air 2S and after flying it, I had to get me one. So far, I've run four batteries through and am getting comfortable with using it. I'm a hard learner so it's going to take me a little longer than others to figure this thing out. I already have a pilot's license and a small Cessna so I have a little going for me on some of the regulations and restrictions.

I'll have questions as I get to them. In the meantime I'll read and study and see what I can find here.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Here are some things to help you get started with your drone:
  • Download the DJI manual for your drone here (it doesn't come in the box). The manual is packed with lots of useful tips and will give you a better understanding of your drone's features.

• Check out this getting started guide for some tips not found in the DJI manual.

• Your drone batteries will last longer if you use and maintain them like this.

• Practice flying outdoors in a wide open location that's free of all obstacles. Don't attempt to fly inside your house or in other confined locations.

• The drone records flight data each time you fly. You can decrypt and view those flight logs with these tools.

• Check out MavicHelp.com for commonly used accessories you might need.

Looks like great information to peruse there. Thank you.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!
Never fear, I've been on BBs for quite a while and know how to behave myself and understand the need to look around before posting up about a redundant issue.

It's great to see people from all over the world and I look forward to getting their perspectives on things.

I am brand new to the drone world and this looked like a good forum so I'm giving it a look see. I hail from SEPA in a rural area. My buddy has DJI Air 2S and after flying it, I had to get me one.

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

As a New Drone Pilot, there are a couple of Legal Things you may need to do…

If you have not already done so, you will need to get your TRUST Certificate. You can get that at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…) . If your Drone weighs less than 250-grams (0.55 pounds) and you are flying under The Exception for Recreational Flyers, you are not required to register your Drone.

When I first started flying I registered my Mini 2 because the TRUST Certificate and FAA Registration established me as a "certified" Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Pilot.

Link to the TRUST Certificate at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…)

Link to the FAADroneZone (Optional Registration for Drones under 250-Grams…)

If you are considering acquiring your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going…

Since you live in Pennsylvania, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

Even if you have flown Drones before, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

You paid a lot of money for that Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 4-5 feet (1-1/2 meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mavic Air 2s, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Happy Droning…

Hi folks,

I am brand new to the drone world and this looked like a good forum so I'm giving it a look see. I hail from SEPA in a rural area. My buddy has DJI Air 2S and after flying it, I had to get me one. So far, I've run four batteries through and am getting comfortable with using it. I'm a hard learner so it's going to take me a little longer than others to figure this thing out. I already have a pilot's license and a small Cessna so I have a little going for me on some of the regulations and restrictions.

I'll have questions as I get to them. In the meantime I'll read and study and see what I can find here.
Hi from Len in South Wales U.K. hope you enjoy fly safe , cheers Len

Hello from Minnesota and welcome to the Forum....There's a lot of good quality teaching/feedback going on in here. Just ask, and the experts are great on providing good sound advice for you to apply and use.

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

As a New Drone Pilot, there are a couple of Legal Things you may need to do…

If you have not already done so, you will need to get your TRUST Certificate. You can get that at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…) . If your Drone weighs less than 250-grams (0.55 pounds) and you are flying under The Exception for Recreational Flyers, you are not required to register your Drone.

When I first started flying I registered my Mini 2 because the TRUST Certificate and FAA Registration established me as a "certified" Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Pilot.

Link to the TRUST Certificate at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…)

Link to the FAADroneZone (Optional Registration for Drones under 250-Grams…)

If you are considering acquiring your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going…

Since you live in Pennsylvania, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

Even if you have flown Drones before, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

You paid a lot of money for that Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 4-5 feet (1-1/2 meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mavic Air 2s, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Happy Droning…
That right there is a heap of good information. Thanks. I have a lot of it under control, mostly due to my mentor having already been there. I don't know how he figured out everything that he has but so far, he's steered me right.

My first drone was a refurb that I got from BestBuy. It turned out it was a GeekSquad refurb and they had the camera on backwards. Further inspection revealed that it had also been crashed and had dirt and scrapes on it. It went back. When that came, he had me take the TRUST test and get myself registered with the FAA. I was surprised that the drone didn't fall under the same umbrellas as my private pilot's license, all of my FCC licenses do. Welcome to America!

So...then I got a refurb direct from DJI, I am not afraid to buy refurbs from the factories. This time I was a tad less excited and more thorough in my unpacking, inventory of parts and prep for flight. I have 2.5 acres of pretty clear property myself and two large fields adjacent to me, one of which is being subdivided and has perk holes dug across it. These gave me good exercise to start stretching my wings and I flew over there and found and inspected the perk tests, pulled up to the tree line and scooted sideways along it. RTH set at 100' (well...98' it's not sensitive enough to let me get precise) and it comes on back nicely. It's hard to not send it over and look at my neighbors out in their yards but I wouldn't want to be buzzed so I don't buzz them. Did you ever see the movie 'Moving', starring Randy Quaid and Richard Pryor? It's pretty funny.

Oh, and I'm considering getting a part 107 just for the heck of it and I'll look into that. I welcome any insight on that.

OK, that's all for now. Thanks again for all the help

Hi folks,

Welcome from Detroit.

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

Oh, and I'm considering getting a part 107 just for the heck of it and I'll look into that. I welcome any insight on that.
Just a few quick notes. Since you have registered your drone on the FAADroneZone then you probably know that there are Authorizations and Waivers that the FAA can grant Drone pilots. Authorizations can be granted to Rec Flyers, like flying in controlled airspace where the Zone Quadrant Altitude is not Zero, but 50', 100', and up to 400'.

Part 107 pilots can also get a waiver to fly in the Zero Altitude areas. They can get LAANC authorization to fly at night. They can get waivers to fly well above 400' and so much more.

Basically, 107 folk can fly in a lot of places and at time Rec Pilots cannot…

But, if you decide to fly into a Perk Hole, it's all on you… LoL…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000