DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Sofia, Bulgaria

Peter Petrov

Reactions
Hello Mavic Pilots,

Checking in from Sofia, Bulgaria. Very nice meeting you all. I'm super new to drones, but I enjoy it very much. I've broken down flying a drone into three main areas:
  • piloting a drone - be able to master the movements of the drone and control the drone in a correct and timely manner, building reflex etc.
  • shooting a video - have an idea for a video, know the correct position of the camera, avoid common mistakes, that will make watching the video less enjoyable etc., etc.
  • video post-production - everything, that involves turning the raw footage into a video, that is interesting and enjoyable for watching.
I'm a total beginner in all three areas. For starters - I'd really appreciate, if you could point me to resources, related to piloting. Is there some structured way, so that one learns how to pilot the drone. I already have a few flights behind my back, so I'm able to take off and land, but for example, once the drone is facing me and everything is reversed, I need a moment to think, before performing a maneuver. I sometimes use the one stick over the other and instead of going forward/backwards, I go up/down. So I'm looking for some lessons, which list some exercises that one should do in order to master controlling the drone. For example, I want to learn how to do a smooth circle without using the automatic quickshot presets.

Thank you very much and I'm looking forward to learning and also contributing to this community.

Cheers,
Peter

Hello Mavic Pilots,

Checking in from Sofia, Bulgaria. Very nice meeting you all. I'm super new to drones, but I enjoy it very much. I've broken down flying a drone into three main areas:
  • piloting a drone - be able to master the movements of the drone and control the drone in a correct and timely manner, building reflex etc.
  • shooting a video - have an idea for a video, know the correct position of the camera, avoid common mistakes, that will make watching the video less enjoyable etc., etc.
  • video post-production - everything, that involves turning the raw footage into a video, that is interesting and enjoyable for watching.
I'm a total beginner in all three areas. For starters - I'd really appreciate, if you could point me to resources, related to piloting. Is there some structured way, so that one learns how to pilot the drone. I already have a few flights behind my back, so I'm able to take off and land, but for example, once the drone is facing me and everything is reversed, I need a moment to think, before performing a maneuver. I sometimes use the one stick over the other and instead of going forward/backwards, I go up/down. So I'm looking for some lessons, which list some exercises that one should do in order to master controlling the drone. For example, I want to learn how to do a smooth circle without using the automatic quickshot presets.

Thank you very much and I'm looking forward to learning and also contributing to this community.

Cheers,
Peter
welcome to the forum ,start of in a large field away from others and make sure all your equipment is fully charged
(1) first exercise is to learn to fly squares ,always start with the drone camera facing away from you when taking off and landing
(2) to fly squares with the drone at eye level fly to your right 20 ft stop fly forwards 20ft stop fly left 20ft stop fly back to the start point and stop
(3)i know this sounds boring but do that exercise 20 times and you will find it begin to become natural and after a few sessions you will be able to do it with out looking at the sticks
(4)now for the really fun part,same exercise but after you are hovering at the start position yaw the drone around till the camera is facing you
(5)this is the hardest part to master because as you mentioned the controls are reversed but only the right stick is used in these exercises
(6)then its time to combine the two sticks and fly figure of eights ,so as you fly forwards to the right keep moving forwards at the same time apply a small amount of yaw with the left stick and the drone will begin to turn to the left keep doing that till the drone has started to come back towards you center the left stick and as the drone is still moving forwards apply the opposite yaw with the left stick and the drone will start to turn away from you and eventually be coming back towards you then just repeat till you have a nice smooth flight
(7) just take your time and the more you do it the easier it becomes just practice with both sticks as your skill improves so you learn what effect each stick movement has on the drone

hope you can understand what i have said ,its harder to write down than actually show how its down good luck with your flying

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. Thumbswayup

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum. You will find plenty of support and assistance here. We look forward to seeing your part of the world.

Welcome to the forum! :)

I'm a total beginner in all three areas. For starters - I'd really appreciate, if you could point me to resources, related to piloting. Is there some structured way, so that one learns how to pilot the drone.
Check out my Getting Started page here.

Hello Mavic Pilots,

Cheers,
Peter
Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton, Ohio USA. Fly safe and have fun!

Hey @old man mavic, @Dedal , @dirkclod, @Drone Master, @wjkrysak, @Thomas B, @msinger, @Aerial-Pixel.

Thank you very much for the warm welcome! I'd like to share an interesting fact with you. In the promo materials of the new Mavic Air 2, there are some nice shots from the Buzludzha monument in Bulgaria. It appears in:

- 0:42 of the main video:
- HDR Video video section of the Air 2 page on the DJI site
- when demonstrating the Asteroid Quickshot mode again on the main website

I like when knowing where a particular photo or video was taken. If you have info about where the rest of the shots were taken, please share.

Again, thank you for the warm welcome!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest