Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Sunny Israel

Amit Dunsky

Reactions
Site
www.facebook.com
Hi.
My name is Amit, I live in Zikhron-Yaakov, located about 20 minutes drive south to Haifa, on the Carmel mountain right above the Mediterranean coastline, with plenty of locations to fly my dji mini 3 pro (see here).

My hobby for the past few years has been landscape photographing. I've been taking photos at the Israeli desert, and at the Arctic Circle, on high mountains and on the lower land on earth - the dead sea. The more extreme the location is, the more I find it interesting. Recently, I added the mini 3 pro to my photography bag, and it will soon accompany me on my coming trip to the USA, followed by a mid-winter Iceland visit.

If you're planning on visiting Israel, LMK and I'll be glad to show you around.

20220715_194449.jpg

Hello from the Crossroads of America Amit Dunsky.

Nice to meet you Amit. 🤝

Welcome to the Forum. 😎

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! 🙂 Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Will be interested to know "how" you get your drone through airport security/customs. I've generally avoided taking it on anything but "road trips" for that reason (obviously you can't do that in this case).
Travel safe!

Welcome to the forum! :)

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Will be interested to know "how" you get your drone through airport security/customs. I've generally avoided taking it on anything but "road trips" for that reason (obviously you can't do that in this case).
Travel safe!
Not sure I'm following you: Are you asking how to bring (and fly) your drone in Israel?

Welcome to the forum.
Please and do be sure you have read our guidelines.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

My name is Amit, I live in Zikhron-Yaakov, located about 20 minutes drive south to Haifa, on the Carmel mountain right above the Mediterranean coastline, with plenty of locations to fly my dji mini 3 pro

Hi Amit,

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar.

Since you live in Isreal, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check to ensure these are current.

Since you wrote that you will be visiting the USA, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in States that you might travel to and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in those areas…

You also said that you wanted to travel to Iceland and here is the link to their Rules and Laws.

But before I get into my Drone Stuff, I would also advise you to contact the US and Icelandic Embassies for the latest laws. And do not forget to get the latest rules from the airlines as to what might be required in packing and traveling with your batteries…

Nothing worse than being told you have to dump all your "Schnitzel" or batteries because they cannot go on the airplane or go through customs…

Even though you have been flying for a while, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

Do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 4-5 feet (1-1/2 meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 3 Pro, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Happy, Safe and Legal Droning…

Hi Amit,

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar.

Since you live in Isreal, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check to ensure these are current.

Since you wrote that you will be visiting the USA, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in States that you might travel to and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in those areas…

You also said that you wanted to travel to Iceland and here is the link to their Rules and Laws.

But before I get into my Drone Stuff, I would also advise you to contact the US and Icelandic Embassies for the latest laws. And do not forget to get the latest rules from the airlines as to what might be required in packing and traveling with your batteries…

Nothing worse than being told you have to dump all your "Schnitzel" or batteries because they cannot go on the airplane or go through customs…

Even though you have been flying for a while, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

Do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 4-5 feet (1-1/2 meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 3 Pro, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Happy, Safe and Legal Droning…
Thank you for the warm welcome and for so much information. Let me relate to it:
  • I have been flying various aircrafts for the past 15 years. So, neither the rules, nor the air itself is new to me. I am well familiar with the Israeli law. Being such a small country with so many army, civilian and commercial aircrafts flying all the time, the airspace here is quite tight and you really need to understand where and when you can fit in.

• As for flying in the USA: I've already registered my drone and "passed" the TRUST test. I've also downloaded the B4UFLY app and got acquainted with it, so I'm good with that.

• With regards to flying in Iceland: That is still 7 months away, but rest assured I'll be ready with whatever it takes to comply with any rules and regulations before having my drone airborne.

• Drone flying skills: I m actually constantly following all the main youtubers I guess you're all familiar with. With that, having flown various aircrafts myself, the main new experience I find with flying drones, is that I'm not flying with it...
    So I fly y drone whenever I can (it is quite hot, humid and windy here at this time of the year), and combining with my previous training and skills, I know how to identify the gaps I need to put my attention on.

• Lastly, as far as photographing: As I mentioned, I'm a hobbyist photographer. Using a professional gear, I am quite familiar with those aspects. Filter are not new to me - I've been using it for years now, and deeply understand its affect on the lens and photo taken. The same goes with exposure triangle, composition, etc..

[Removed by moderator]

The photo attached here below, is actually the first photo I took with my new Mini 3 Pro. Enjoy.

Again, Thank you.

292992977_3202302380021033_6126847345961975839_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the warm welcome and for so much information. Let me relate to it:
  • I have been flying various aircrafts for the past 15 years. So, neither the rules, nor the air itself is new to me. I am well familiar with the Israeli law. Being such a small country with so many army, civilian and commercial aircrafts flying all the time, the airspace here is quite tight and you really need to understand where and when you can fit in.

• As for flying in the USA: I've already registered my drone and "passed" the TRUST test. I've also downloaded the B4UFLY app and got acquainted with it, so I'm good with that.

• With regards to flying in Iceland: That is still 7 months away, but rest assured I'll be ready with whatever it takes to comply with any rules and regulations before having my drone airborne.

• Drone flying skills: I m actually constantly following all the main youtubers I guess you're all familiar with. With that, having flown various aircrafts myself, the main new experience I find with flying drones, is that I'm not flying with it...
    So I fly y drone whenever I can (it is quite hot, humid and windy here at this time of the year), and combining with my previous training and skills, I know how to identify the gaps I need to put my attention on.

• Lastly, as far as photographing: As I mentioned, I'm a hobbyist photographer. Using a professional gear, I am quite familiar with those aspects. Filter are not new to me - I've been using it for years now, and deeply understand its affect on the lens and photo taken. The same goes with exposure triangle, composition, etc..

[Removed by moderator]

The photo attached here below, is actually the first photo I took with my new Mini 3 Pro. Enjoy.

Again, Thank you.

View attachment 152995

You have been busy…

We have folks on the "home front" that resists taking TRUST test…I would also recommend the UAV Forecast App for weather updates on the weather, wind, rain, cloud cover, visibility, etc… and the Windy App. Both work in your neck of the woods…

By the way, that's Great Photo of the Sunset over the Med…

• Love
Reactions: Amit Dunsky
Hi.
My name is Amit, I live in Zikhron-Yaakov, located about 20 minutes drive south to Haifa, on the Carmel mountain right above the Mediterranean coastline, with plenty of locations to fly my dji mini 3 pro (see here).

My hobby for the past few years has been landscape photographing. I've been taking photos at the Israeli desert, and at the Arctic Circle, on high mountains and on the lower land on earth - the dead sea. The more extreme the location is, the more I find it interesting. Recently, I added the mini 3 pro to my photography bag, and it will soon accompany me on my coming trip to the USA, followed by a mid-winter Iceland visit.

If you're planning on visiting Israel, LMK and I'll be glad to show you around.

View attachment 152967
I am coming for 6 days to include both Tel Aviv and Jerusalem next 22 March 2023 for a tour. I was there for a week in 1974, a year after the Yom Kippur war for an intensive fund raising mission of the entire country This trip will be more leisurely and I am intending on bringing my Mavic 3. I already signed up for Israeli Drone Club. We don't need a tour, but I'd love to spend a few hours flying either around Tel Aviv Like Jaffa Area) , over the beach, et.

Dale
Miami

• Love
Reactions: Amit Dunsky
You have been busy…

We have folks on the "home front" that resists taking TRUST test…I would also recommend the UAV Forecast App for weather updates on the weather, wind, rain, cloud cover, visibility, etc… and the Windy App. Both work in your neck of the woods…

By the way, that's Great Photo of the Sunset over the Med…
Why resist taking that test? It is hardly a test really..

Thanks for the tip about UAV Forecast. This is my go to app before flying. Its forecast isn't that accurate for wind speed and directions, but over the years I have developed an in-body weather station, and together with UAV Forecast, I can easily determine if the local conditions are good to fly. :)

Glad you liked the photo. We have beautiful sunsets above the sea, and gorgeous sunrises over the valley on the east side of the mountain.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoudThunder
I am coming for 6 days to include both Tel Aviv and Jerusalem next 22 March 2023 for a tour. I was there for a week in 1974, a year after the Yom Kippur war for an intensive fund raising mission of the entire country This trip will be more leisurely and I am intending on bringing my Mavic 3. I already signed up for Israeli Drone Club. We don't need a tour, but I'd love to spend a few hours flying either around Tel Aviv Like Jaffa Area) , over the beach, et.

Dale
Miami
Great. You're welcome to DM me when you're about to come here. I'll be happy to meet and fly together.
Please be aware that Jerusalem is a no-fly zone, so you can't fly a drone there. There's an updated no-fly zones map in the link here. Zoom out, and you'll see there are multiple restrictions applied to the Israeli airspace. But, it really is not too bad, and there are great place you can enjoy flying.

No: I'm asking how you get your drone on the airplane when you travel.
Being this is my first ever drone, I didn't have a chance to take it with me just yet. However, I have been taken photography gear with me when traveling overseas, and I also had friends traveling with me, who had a drone in their bag. No trouble whatsoever. You just need to read your airline's restrictions and comply with it. Usually the only restriction will relate to the max capacity of each battery. Some airlines also require you to carry LiPO batteries in a LIPO SAFE bags. That is pretty much it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121