DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from the Finger Lakes

StackFLX

Reactions
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I live in upstate NY and I've been flying about 10 years, I started with a cheap Syma drone then built an F450 with the TBS dead cat frame with a modified GoPro 4. I used to live in San Diego so was lucky enough to be able to walk into Peau Productions offices and have work done on my cameras on the spot. I built a couple more frankenstein builds from stuff on HobbyKing (they used to have tons of kits and parts), bigger builds with Tarot gimbals.

After that I got into FPV for a bit and built a few Armattan and ImpulseRC quads. Analog FatShark stuff was still the bee's knees at the time but I've been out of the loop for years and don't really know what's the latest in that now.

Nowadays I'm just looking to get into easy flying with better video than what I was working with back then. I've been patiently lurking the classifieds here and other places in search of either an Air 2s or preferably a good deal on a used original Mavic 3 (1x and 7x). I've had that typical paralysis where I've been waiting for the next-gen models to come out before buying, but I really just need to get something now and get back up in the sky. Thanks for reading.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I live in upstate NY and I've been flying about 10 years,

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

I grew up in "Up State New York, Pottersville, Warren County, cabin on the Schroon River, and that's "Up State New York…"

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Air 2S and the Mavic 3, including the User Manuals.

After you read the Manuals, it might help to steer you more in the direction of one particular model…

Good Luck and Welcome aboard!

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

I grew up in "Up State New York, Pottersville, Warren County, cabin on the Schroon River, and that's "Up State New York…"

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Air 2S and the Mavic 3, including the User Manuals.

After you read the Manuals, it might help to steer you more in the direction of one particular model…

Good Luck and Welcome aboard!

Thanks @LoudThunder -- my biggest points of consideration for Mavic 3 was better looking log profile, adjustable aperture, and higher flight speeds than Air 2S, I work in photo & video a lot so I'm a bit particular but I still think I'd be plenty happy with either model, and wouldn't mind owning some generation of both the Air and Mavic in the long run.

I don't really consider Rochester area to be Upstate, but we save "Western" for Buffalo and Niagara, and most people in NYC and outside of NYS altogether consider Poughkeepsie to be "Upstate" so I keep it simple when speaking broadly.

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

my biggest points of consideration for Mavic 3 was better looking log profile
I agree on the "profile" issue, I tease my Mini 3 friends that I see they brought "Kermit…" along…

Remember, if you intend to process 4K or better video, it takes a lot of computer processor power, and a working knowledge of the software that processes it… So, if you need to upgrade your computer, you have that to consider…

You also wrote, "I've had that typical paralysis where I've been waiting for the next-gen models." My wife has a similar condition, she checks everything about something and they she see something newer and then it starts allover again. I call it, "Paralysis through Analysis…" You have to stop at some point and say, "That's Good Enough…" and just go for it…

You did not mention if you have your Part 107 license, if you intend to go into any form of business with your photos or videos, you will need that. I got my Part 107 just so I could fly in places where Recreational Flyers cannot fly… I also live in the Class D Airspace of an Air Force Base (actually in their "Zero Altitude Quadrant Zone" and it is the only way I can fly in my own yard with an FAA Authorization…).

Look at lots of YouTube Videos on both models and watch the bloopers too, it will tesch you what not to do…

Good Luck!

LT

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I live in upstate NY and I've been flying about 10 years, I started with a cheap Syma drone then built an F450 with the TBS dead cat frame with a modified GoPro 4. I used to live in San Diego so was lucky enough to be able to walk into Peau Productions offices and have work done on my cameras on the spot. I built a couple more frankenstein builds from stuff on HobbyKing (they used to have tons of kits and parts), bigger builds with Tarot gimbals.

After that I got into FPV for a bit and built a few Armattan and ImpulseRC quads. Analog FatShark stuff was still the bee's knees at the time but I've been out of the loop for years and don't really know what's the latest in that now.

Nowadays I'm just looking to get into easy flying with better video than what I was working with back then. I've been patiently lurking the classifieds here and other places in search of either an Air 2s or preferably a good deal on a used original Mavic 3 (1x and 7x). I've had that typical paralysis where I've been waiting for the next-gen models to come out before buying, but I really just need to get something now and get back up in the sky. Thanks for reading.
Welcome, Whatever you get you will enjoy. The Finger Lakes is a great region to film in. There are some great buys on the Air 2S. It is a nice drone. One thing about drones if you are an enthusiast you will wind up with more than one. No need to wait for the latest and greatest. Just get started again. There will always be a new drone to top the last one.

Greetings from Western NY! (Niagara county) I went to school in Central NY, Ithaca, and vacation each summer on Keuka Lake. It is a great place to fly, between the lakes and numerous water falls lots of beautiful places. I well understand what you are saying about waiting to see what the next gen will bring but I think you would be happy, at least for a while, with ether of the birds you mentioned. Compared to what you have used in the past both will blow you away. Pull the trigger and get back flying!!

My two cents, perhaps over valued.

Welcome to the forum! I’m an old timer with an original Mavic Air and a newer DJI FPV. I am not the 4K video guy, obviously. Just a flying for fun person. So get anything and get insurance if you care. You can always upgrade. Have fun!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest