DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from WV

Welcome to the forum. I just had a wonderful trip in some of the back roads of WV that I explored while in college. I filmed a bit of it with my Phantom 3 Standard. Then I turned around and sold it to order my Mavic. Still waiting. Where do you fly in WV? Or is the MP your first drone?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

it's my first drone for doing video with...i have a couple racers and a cheap little one to fly around the house...i fly wherever really...the new river is pretty nice to fly around...right under the new river gorge bridge in fayetteville WV...there's plenty of places for good video and my racers just take too long to set up with all the velcro and the battery life sucks...this mavic has me pretty excited with what i think i'll be able to do with it...no idea when it's coming yet though

takes me usually 5 or more mins to set it up...im not sure of the mavics time to set up but it looks to be less than one minute and no velcro...when i would crash my racer my camera would go flying then the battery and antenna...those things are a mess

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopter’s.

Enjoy!Thumbswayup

Hello,

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopter’s.

Enjoy!Thumbswayup
Hello,

Enjoy!Thumbswayup

definitely will im already finding a lot of things to benefit me for when my mavic arrives hopefully soon...i was using youtube videos for information but an advexure employee pointed me to this site and i've learned quite a bit about the mavic that i didn't know

Reactions: Advexure
i fly wherever really...the new river is pretty nice to fly around...right under the new river gorge bridge in fayetteville WV
Nice. My Father-In-Law lives just north of there in Summersville. I can't wait to do some shooting around the lake there some time when we are in to visit.
However, you may want to re-think your New River Gorge Bridge sightseeing from the air because according to AirMap, the gorge is a National Park. National Parks are NFZ. I'd love to film that too, but I don't want to harm the hobby's reputation.

Nice. My Father-In-Law lives just north of there in Summersville. I can't wait to do some shooting around the lake there some time when we are in to visit.
However, you may want to re-think your New River Gorge Bridge sightseeing from the air because according to AirMap, the gorge is a National Park. National Parks are NFZ. I'd love to film that too, but I don't want to harm the hobby's reputation.

you can get permission and the park rangers honestly don't care...they will tell you to go ahead 9 times out of 10...it's also in an airspace because there is a little airport that does little cessna tours over the bridge and stuff...if your father in law is around summersville there's a closed down private airstrip that is owned by a guy who flies RC planes and it's open for anyone to go there and fly no permission needed...they occasionally meet up and also have a yearly RC festival there with all kinds of different planes and stuff

if u ever come this way i always get clearance from the rangers because i pretty much know them all and my uncle was one...and that airstrip always lets you as long as you don't fly more than 400 feet from the river level...which of course is the faa maximum for drones...u can get good footage at that 400 feet but you won't be able to fly over the bridge or anything because of the airspace and the fact that it's roughly 800 feet up from the river bed...but the footage you can get there at 400 feet and lower is crazy and it's definitely legal u just have to communicate before you do it

trust me i don't break rules...people breaking the rules is a reason i'm getting my part 107 over with because i have a feeling it'll eventually be required once places start banning drones all over the place

trust me i don't break rules...
Cool. So far I haven't had any trouble chatting with airfields to tell them about my flight plan. Is the closed down airfield you're referring to the one right near Summerville Lake?

Oh yeah, my current avatar pic on here was taken at the overlook just north of Summerville on 19. I love your state!

Cool. So far I haven't had any trouble chatting with airfields to tell them about my flight plan. Is the closed down airfield you're referring to the one right near Summerville Lake?

it is pretty close to it...not sure the exact distance i'd have to look it up...i just know it's always free and clear to fly around that area and he owns acres of that land...i'll get the info for you when i find it...been a while since i've contacted them

and yeah when it comes to great aerial photography west virginia can provide it...in the fall i find it a hard to beat place when it comes to the colors of trees and the rivers and banks...there's other places like it but in these mountains there is plenty to film...in the right conditions you can get some of the best shots you've ever gotten...since i owned racers it was hardly possible to do that but with the mavic once i get it i believe i'll be producing some pretty solid footage

anyone get their mavics yet...im still waiting
Welcome to our newest forum devin .:)
Maybe put in your location in your profile
or at least your country to show up under your name like mine .
It helps as we from all over in here Thumbswayup

definitely will im already finding a lot of things to benefit me for when my mavic arrives hopefully soon...i was using youtube videos for information but an advexure employee pointed me to this site and i've learned quite a bit about the mavic that i didn't know

Hi @devinrhall, good to see you here on the forum. Glad we could help get you pointed in the right direction. ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys