DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help deciding needed

308Shooter

Reactions
Hello all, I'm new to the forum. I don't have a Mavic Pro yet, but in the process or deciding to buy or not. I'm an avid backpacker, and the portability of the Mavic is quite appealing. However I must admit after reading all the reviews of problems with the updates and the poor DJI service, I'm skeptical about the purchase. The cash outlay is significant to me and I'm not extremely tech savvy for all the updates and downgrades if needed.

I currently have a Yuneec Q500 4K and love it, but it's just not packable friendly.

The question is, or should I say are....
If there are updates, do you have to do them? If not will it affect the drone or flying?
I have a Samsung Note 5 and an iPad Air. I hear there are issues with the Android based phones and packing an iPad isn't a good option for me. Is this something I should worry about?
Finally.... if I decide to go this route, are there other repair options other than sending back to DJI?

Any information/assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Go look at all the links on MavicHelp.com -- answers to most questions are there. As stated above ^^^ Thunderdrones is great if you need them. Your Note 5 probably works, but future Android or DJI upgrades always present the possibility that they'll stop working. I have a OnePlus3 that seems to work fine, but may not in the future.

Updating is optional and I always wait a few weeks after an update is released before I update the Mavic Firmware.

As for DJI GO4 depending on your device just don't allow it to auto update as this is often were more of the issues crop up IMO ( IOS & Android ) so once you have a version you are happy with just hold on that version for a while to make sure any initial issues are resolved before you update.

Had my Mavic almost a year and have l have used the European repair service once and it was a very good service.

Last edited:
I’m on the next to the latest version on my year old Mavic. No problems whatsoever, but I am on IOS. I switched a few months back and would highly reccommend it. Perhaps you could buy one of the older and cheaper Iphones and leave it offline and dedicated to your Mavic once you have the firmware and software combinations you are comfortable with.

Thanks all... I appreciate the advice. Love the idea of an older iPhone dedicated to the drone. Having another source (Thunderdrones) for repairs also helps as well, the customer service scared me away from DJI previously, so that's very reassuring.

Hello 308! I can say that I'm impressed with the Mavic Pro and its capabilities. I have updated my firmware every time and I have had only 2 problems andI own 4 DJI drones. and usually the problem is easily fixable especially because of this forum. I can say DJI might not have the best customer service at times but if you are persistent they tend to be understanding to a degree. The Mavic is a tough drone , it can take a licking and keep on ticking!! N e ways... I hope this helps some. I seen the Yuneec but they don't come close to DJi drones

Hello 308! I can say that I'm impressed with the Mavic Pro and its capabilities. I have updated my firmware every time and I have had only 2 problems andI own 4 DJI drones. and usually the problem is easily fixable especially because of this forum. I can say DJI might not have the best customer service at times but if you are persistent they tend to be understanding to a degree. The Mavic is a tough drone , it can take a licking and keep on ticking!! N e ways... I hope this helps some. I seen the Yuneec but they don't come close to DJi drones

Thanks DCatalo... it does help. Also knowing there's a domestic place to send the drone also helps. I went with the Yuneec ONLY because of the service issue I was hearing about. I really wanted the Phantom 3 when oI was looking. Now backpacking more than usual, I really need the portability - I just wish the Spark had better video capability. I was thinking of both the Spark and Mavic, but of course, the boss(wife) stepped in. Gotta keep the wife happy....

Thanks all... I appreciate the advice. Love the idea of an older iPhone dedicated to the drone. Having another source (Thunderdrones) for repairs also helps as well, the customer service scared me away from DJI previously, so that's very reassuring.

Thing with having an older iPhone is that Apple stops supporting them after a while which may have an affect on the app.

If you're not bothered about all the extra features of the app you may be able to get away with not updating the phone, app or Mavic FW.

If you want to do a lot of flying in the mountains (or even in the desert where the terrain can gradually rise for thousands of feet), consider the incredibly stupid arbitrary 500m altitude limit. With Platinum and Alpine (and Pro with the latest 1.4.0100 FW), 500m it is, period; with Pro with 1.4.0000 or older, you can fly higher (but will need to do your own research how to do it).

Ability to scout routes up the mountains, take a closer look at cliffs (which can start thousands of feet above take off), and packability were the reasons I got Mavic, but learned about 500m limit only after I got it.

With any forum, people are more motivated to post a negative experience looking for help, than to post everything is fine. A majority of people are having no problems with their Mavics. As for be I just completed the latest updates without any issues.

Reactions: pixl
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters