DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

help for someone who wants to buy a mavic mini

Chrislopez

Reactions
I have a budget of $ 500, if I buy a mavic mini or dji spark both in fly more combo and both new, what is the difference between a model that came out two years ago and mavic mini? or what advice would you give me to decide for one or the other apart from those already on the dji page

Reactions: RayKelly
There are several youtube videos comparing the Mini with similar models

here a simple comparison table from dronesgator.com. For me the short battery flight time of spark is a showstopper.
mavic-mini-vs-mavic-air-vs-dji-spark-specs-comparison-table-788x2106.jpg

Reactions: wjkrysak
I like this comparison above. I own 2 of the aircraft (MM and MA) compared. I am happy to have both in my flight bag. There are plenty of utube videos and discussion on this and other forums. your research will guide your decision. Not sure one thread will sew it together for you. Your call. Enjoy your flights.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chrislopez
I have a Spark and take it travelling a fair bit, easier with cabin baggage etc.
3 batteries does me for most away drone ‘fixes’.
I am / was seriously looking at the Mini for travel, but it seems to have been released with quite a lot of small issues / bugs (probably for a while yet), which the Spark is well and truly over with in that regard.
The Mini camera with 2.7 video is good for some, but even with my Mavic I tend to just shoot 1080 anyway.
Also I like how stable the Spark is in windy conditions, I’m guessing a lot more opportunities to fly the Spark safely in moderate conditions over the Mini.
Either is a great travel drone and equally fast to setup and get in the air flying.
You’d be happy with either I’m sure.

which of the two would you recommend or which one do you use @wjkrysak
I can't speak for the spark, as I do not own one.
I like my MA for the extra features: "heft" (solid feel), camera, sensors, and flying comfort (sense I could send it out for a distance and it will return). The MM is a quality constructed, light aircraft that I am comfortable flying within LOS, close by. I find it more sensitive to the wind than the MA, but can be handled with experience flying.
My nephew and I have been flying fixed wing aircraft, quad copters, multicopters and gliders for years. We now have a preferred flight bag, that includes the MA and MM. Given wind conditions and "whims" we fly both the MA and MM. If too windy, we fly kites.
Your flying conditions, experience, style, budget and preferences will determine the aircraft that fits your use. Choice, remains yours, my friend. My purchases have always been to buy "up" within your budget. Others may weigh in on preferences. I wish you the best in decision and flying.

I flied both model and I preferred Mini. The main reason is the flight time - Spark can only fly 12-15 min, which mean the drone must be start return in within 8-10 min. Mini can fly 22-25 min which the "actual flight duration" is double.
In my experience as long as GPS signal is good, the wind factor may not a main concern on flight. Both are stable under wind speed under 10 m/s.
Another reason I take Mini is the remote control signal. In my experience, Mini remote signal is some how better than Spark. Note that when signal lost, the drone will auto Return to Home (RTH), which may crash your drone if your setting / operation is not right.
On the other hand, Mini do not have front sensor, which mean you must set RTH height with great care. And I don't suggest you to fly Mini in the city or woods, and at night. Note that the front sensor may not work under dim light, which mean you should not fly Spark at night also.
For the functions, if you need follow mode, 360 pano photo, you can only choose Spark / Air. For me , I will take Air.

If your following VLOS rules which apply in almost all countries, I don't see the Spark battery capacity as an issue.
Just land and pop in a new one.

If your flying away then the battery capacity is a problem, but then your probably exceeding VLOS limits which probably max out at 1500ft using the naked eye.

If your a new drone owner, you need to understand the limitations in the Mavic Mini's flight performance, some people have thought they can just take it up to 1600ft and just fly around 2.5 miles away without care.
A lot of the flyways are being caused by inexperienced pilots not understanding the performance limits (AC power), the the flying conditions (weather/wind) and the locations (wireless and GPS interference) that cause flight problems.
New Mavic Mini owners, based on the exaggerated marketing, make the wrong assumption that the Mini is foolproof which it is not.

I think the Mini is a bit flakey at the moment like any new DJI release, there are a number of flight issues being reported in the forums.
Quite a few connection and device compatibility problems etc. which will get resolved by new firmware releases and DJI Fly updates into the future.
The Spark has already gone through this cycle of development but unfortunately it has been discontinued, so DJI support for new developments has probably ended for it.

If your on a budget then the Mavic Mini would be the best option, but read up on the issues for awareness.

The Mavic Air is the best compact drone, but this comes at the higher price point.

Last edited:
I have both the Spark and the Mavic mini. I love the Spark but the Mavic mini is my new favorite. They both have their pros and cons.

I owned the Spark for a couple years, but recently sold it for the Mini. With the little experience I've had so far with the MM, it's been far superior to the Spark, for me. The Spark was a fine drone, so you can't really lose with either one. I'm more of a casual flyer, so I like something that's easier to use wirh less issues that may arise. For me, the Spark took a little longer to get ready to fly, batteries at best lasted around 10 minutes each, and I rarely had crystal clear connection between the drone and my phone. My experience so far with the MM has been the opposite in each regard; quicker to set up and fly, much longer battery life, and have had nothing but perfect connection between the drone and phone. The MM is also much more responsive when flying than the Spark was, and takes much better quality footage. Can't beat the 3-axis gimbal vs the 2-axis. Also, all the extra camera mode features like Follow Mode and Gestures were nice gimmicks that I used a couple times, but in the end I really just enjoyed flying around and taking regular photos and video.

So in all, at least in my experience, I feel like DJI studied what they could've done better with the Spark for the casual flyer like myself, and created the MM.

I have a budget of $ 500, if I buy a mavic mini or dji spark both in fly more combo and both new, what is the difference between a model that came out two years ago and mavic mini? or what advice would you give me to decide for one or the other apart from those already on the dji page
I have a P4 but just got the mini and love it. The mini is great for travelling and takes excellent photos and video.

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest