DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help Interpreting KittyHawk Maps & Authorization Requirements

apeel

Reactions
I use the KittyHawk App on iOS devices to obtain authorization to fly as a Recreational User. I have watched a number of YouTube videos and searched this forum for the KittyHawk App for answers to my question(s) but alas, I am still confused. I would appreciate any help you can offer. I run into a number of Cases / Scenarios that I 'think' I understand, but am not 100% certain. Each case is illustrated by a screenshot (all of these were on a recent trip near the San Angelo / Menard Texas area). But the same type of scenarios exist closer to where I live in San Antonio. Below is a screenshot of each 'scenario' then a description pf what I see and my questions. Any help would be appreciated.

Case 1_Blue 3-UAS & Get Auth Checkmark.jpg

CASE #1:
In the 1st screenshot above, my 'pin' is located inside a LAANC Grid with a green circle background. In this case there is a blue "UAS Facility Map" explanation under Airspace on the left that explains that I can fly up to 200 feet. There is also the "Get Authorization Checkbox" just under the blue, class 3 warning. Whenever I come across one of these, I am able to tap on the Get Authorization Checkbox to initiate a request, and have done so successfully several times. (Hurray!).

Case 2_Green 3-UAS but no Auth Checkmark.jpg
CASE #2:
In this case my 'pin' is in the same general grid area (around San Angelo) as the previous example, except it is just outside the area that has a green circle in the background, but is still in the 200-ft grid. This also has the blue "UAS Facility Map" explanation that says auto-approval available up to 200-feet, except this time there is no "Get Authorization Checkbox", so I cannot initiate an authorization request.

QUESTION #1: Am I allowed to fly here if I stay below 200-feet WITHOUT requesting authorization?
QUESTION #2: What about the 200-400 ft range where it says "Further coordination available up to 400 ft). Seems like I would need authorization for that, but there is no way to request it in the app.

Case 3_Green 2-No UAS & no Auth Checkmark.jpg
CASE #3:
Here I am just outside the grid pattern in the same area near San Angelo. There is no Blue UAS Facility Map explanation or a "Get Authorization Checkbox". However the San Angelo Class D Airspace says "Low Altitude Only", but again, no checkmark offered to allow authorization request.

QUESTION #3: I assume I can fly here without authorization provided I stay below 400-feet. Correct?

Case 4_Green 1-Aerodome.jpg
CASE #4:
Here we are in a smaller town Menard, TX that has no LAANC gridlines. You can see a small operational 'Public Use Aerodome', that frankly would have very limited air traffic. Again, there is no "UAS Facility Map" explanation or "Get Authorization Checkbox" so I cannot request authorization.

QUESTION #4: Can I fly here without authorization if I fly below 400-feet and if I always give way ASAP to any aircraft that may show up in the area do to the Aerodome?

Case 5_Green 0-Let's Fly.jpg
CASE #5:
My final example is one where there is no advisories and it says "Let's Fly". Again, no blue "UAS Facility Map" explanation or "Get Authorization Checkbox", so I cannot seek authorization:

QUESTION #5: Can I fly here (below 400-ft) without authorization?

Thanks for sticking with me on this long request. I appreciate any and all answers!

Allan

Reactions: Gindra
I use the KittyHawk App on iOS devices to obtain authorization to fly as a Recreational User. I have watched a number of YouTube videos and searched this forum for the KittyHawk App for answers to my question(s) but alas, I am still confused. I would appreciate any help you can offer. I run into a number of Cases / Scenarios that I 'think' I understand, but am not 100% certain. Each case is illustrated by a screenshot (all of these were on a recent trip near the San Angelo / Menard Texas area). But the same type of scenarios exist closer to where I live in San Antonio. Below is a screenshot of each 'scenario' then a description pf what I see and my questions. Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 84493

CASE #1:
In the 1st screenshot above, my 'pin' is located inside a LAANC Grid with a green circle background. In this case there is a blue "UAS Facility Map" explanation under Airspace on the left that explains that I can fly up to 200 feet. There is also the "Get Authorization Checkbox" just under the blue, class 3 warning. Whenever I come across one of these, I am able to tap on the Get Authorization Checkbox to initiate a request, and have done so successfully several times. (Hurray!).

View attachment 84494
CASE #2:
In this case my 'pin' is in the same general grid area (around San Angelo) as the previous example, except it is just outside the area that has a green circle in the background, but is still in the 200-ft grid. This also has the blue "UAS Facility Map" explanation that says auto-approval available up to 200-feet, except this time there is no "Get Authorization Checkbox", so I cannot initiate an authorization request.

QUESTION #1: Am I allowed to fly here if I stay below 200-feet WITHOUT requesting authorization?
QUESTION #2: What about the 200-400 ft range where it says "Further coordination available up to 400 ft). Seems like I would need authorization for that, but there is no way to request it in the app.

View attachment 84495
CASE #3:
Here I am just outside the grid pattern in the same area near San Angelo. There is no Blue UAS Facility Map explanation or a "Get Authorization Checkbox". However the San Angelo Class D Airspace says "Low Altitude Only", but again, no checkmark offered to allow authorization request.

QUESTION #3: I assume I can fly here without authorization provided I stay below 400-feet. Correct?

View attachment 84496
CASE #4:
Here we are in a smaller town Menard, TX that has no LAANC gridlines. You can see a small operational 'Public Use Aerodome', that frankly would have very limited air traffic. Again, there is no "UAS Facility Map" explanation or "Get Authorization Checkbox" so I cannot request authorization.

QUESTION #4: Can I fly here without authorization if I fly below 400-feet and if I always give way ASAP to any aircraft that may show up in the area do to the Aerodome?

View attachment 84497
CASE #5:
My final example is one where there is no advisories and it says "Let's Fly". Again, no blue "UAS Facility Map" explanation or "Get Authorization Checkbox", so I cannot seek authorization:

QUESTION #5: Can I fly here (below 400-ft) without authorization?

Thanks for sticking with me on this long request. I appreciate any and all answers!

Allan
Case #1 You are clearly in the class D cylinder and require LAANC authorization to fly here. You can request authorization as a recreational pilot for an altitude of 200 feet AGL or less only through LAANC. It will be automatically approved.

Recreational pilots are not authorized to use LAANC to request altitudes higher than the facility map indicates for “automatic approval.” If you were a 107 pilot you could request an altitude higher than 200 feet and it would have to be reviewed manually but as a Rec pilot that isn’t an option for you.

Case#2 in that exact exact spot you do not need authorization to fly up to 400 feet, technically, since you are outside of the class d cylinder. However, you are on the borderline and you should be very sure you will not fly into that green circle. If it’s too close for comfort you should move your pin just inside that green circle so you CAN check that box and get authorization. This is funky because the facility map uses small squares but the actual airspace is a circular cylinder. The actual airspace is what really matters but it would be advisable to get the authorization anyway to fly in the green circle. Don’t worry about the further coordination between 200-400 feet that is for 107 pilots or you could submit a formal manual authorization directly to the FAA via their website but turn around is like 30-60 days or more. You cannot use LAANC to request more than 200 feet with in this particular green cylinder as a Rec pilot through LAANC.

Case#3
Your pin is in class g airspace you do not need to request authorization to fly here. Kittyhawk is telling you you are with 2.89 miles of controlled airspace since that is within reasonable range of the aircraft if it takes off from there.

Case#4 yes you can fly there as long as you follow the rules that always apply such as give way to manned aircraft and stay below 400 feet AGL. There is an airport in the vicinity but it does not control any airspace. It might be a good idea to call the airport and advise them you are going to be within 5 miles but you are not required to. You are required to stay out of their way, however.

Case#5 yes, again you can fly here as long as you follow the rules that always apply. There are no airports or controlled airspace in the vicinity so Kittyhawk isn’t showing any messages.

I agree that kitty hawk does not make clear the difference between controlled airspace and warnings. This is why I prefer AirMap.

Thanks so very much Brett8883 for you thorough reply. I appreciate it very much. I now feel more comfortable with KittyHawk and have confidence I will be following the rules. I will also check out AirMap as well.
Thanks again,
Allan

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98