DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help landing on boat?

Mccutch2u

Reactions
so I got my a$$ kicked by my drone today. I tried landing it on the bow of my boat and it did not like it. I couldn't get it to land on the bow so I had to catch it mid air as I was worried that it would try to land itself in the water due to the battery dying.
Of course when I caught it the props reeves way up and one caught my finger. Hurt like a sob.
So then I went to take off from the boat and as soon as it lifted it immediately flew in reverse running right into me. Ouch again, bruised thighs.

So is there a way to land this thing on the bow. I am assuming that one it couldn't sense the elevation due to the boat moving with the water. And second that I was picking up obstacles around the boat. Idk

Anyone have any success taking off and landing on the boat.
I have no issues doing so while the boatbis on the trailer.

Of course when I caught it the props reeves way up and one caught my finger
You can prevent that from happening by turning off Landing Protection in the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-Landing-Protection.jpg

So then I went to take off from the boat and as soon as it lifted it immediately flew in reverse running right into me.
It'll be easiest to launch/land when the boat is still. Also, make sure the wind is not blowing toward you. Take off with the throttle in the full up position to get the Mavic up in the air and away from the boat as quickly as possible.

Learning hand launching and hand landing is good thing just be really careful practice on land , I flew over 50 times on ocean and has to be extremely cautious boats always move or wind ,I have a friend he work on other boat he owns a mavic too one time he tried taking off from deck mavic flew to side then hit something, one of the propellers breaks and a piece goes into his eye .
I have to say that I always hand launch and hand landed ,never had a problem ,but I always follow a preflight list . like I always on a safety place start de motors manually without taking off, then make an inspection, when I hand launch mavic always 2 feet above my head , same thing for catching and look for ideal weather

Reactions: ClearShot
As already mentioned, disable landing protection, this prevents the bird from trying to become wild and fly up the moment it's sonar detects your hand below. This also prenets it from refusing to land anywhere, but you are the one responsible not to just land it into the water or something. Another thing is, remember, the moment you launch, it will try to remain stationary, relative to GPS/earth. Guess what happens relative to the boat if it drifts a bit. You should fully expect it.

Reactions: Lopez0015
Hand grab landing gear makes it a lot easier on a drifting, bobbing boat without much deck space

Last edited:
Reactions: Lopez0015
Get a belly camera mount. You can use it later as a 360/gopro mount.
The handle serves great to catch. Easy to mount and unmount and it folds up.
Cheap too.

DJI MAVIC PRO Drone 360 ° Panorama Camera Holder Mount Bracket RC 3D Printed

For-DJI-MAVIC-Pro-360-degree-panoramic-camera-camera-mount-bracket-lift-multi-joint-bracket-For.jpg_640x640.jpg

32820454587.html

If you are on the cheap, then try a fishing line with a heavy sinker. The heavy sinker with stop the fishing line from flicking into the motors. Watch the clip below @2:30.

Last edited:
I'm bookmarking this post. I'm actually sailing this coming March/April and was thinking about bringing my Spark over the Mavic but msinger had suggested I bring the Mavic instead due to the landing protection in the event that it decides to land on the water, it will at least hover. I'm still debating but with the spark i can probably hand catch it easier? I don't really know.

I don't expect to catch it or land it while moving. I know that you probably will get the best shots when the boat is moving and what not but i plan to stop the boat when bringing it back in. I don't know what to expect to be honest with you even while it's sitting still.

Now the catch handle in one of the post that looks promising :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580