DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help me answer the "What's Next?" question from beginners.

rkdauph

Reactions
Hello all,

I have been approached by a local college to help develop 5 - 6 drone centric classes (non-credit, nights/weekend stuff). The school currently has a Part 107 prep weekend course. The instructors have been approached after every class with the "Now what?", "What's next?" questions by the students. Keeping in mind the students range from no experience, some experience, to 10,000 hrs of manned aircraft flight time. Ages range all over the place, median, I guess, to be around 25.

• Many/most think it's a quick way to riches.
  • Most want to be legal.
  • Some want to race.
  • All, I believe, want to be safe.
  • A surprising number, to me anyway, have gotten the license without having flown or even purchased a quad yet.

The Dean is keen to get this up and running ASAP. While the budget is not unlimited, he told me I would have the resources needed. In order to prevent a class of 20 students from bringing 20 different drones, the school will provide them with the classes.

• What are your top half dozen things you wish you knew when you started? Commercial or recreational - mox nix.
  • What model drones (no F/W at this time) would you suggest for beginners, intermediate and advanced operators?
I would prefer serious answers but if you have an irresistible zinger, have at it.

Thanks,
Ray
Phanton 2 Plus FBTL.jpg
Image 'cause I can​

Last edited:
Reactions: Gindra
I've been facilitating a drone "workshop" at a local computer club. Most attendees are retirees with only around 3 to 5 attending at any meeting.
Unlike other classes the club offers where once you're taught how to use Windows 10, there isn't much else, there's always something to do and say in our class.
During the first hour we discuss current events, talk about new regulations or policies and I might show videos I've taken of things my M2 can do. Second hour I often demonstrate flying my M2. Lately with two of us owning a Tello, we've been encouraging everyone to fly ours. After several sessions, they're just getting the hang of the sticks.
Now that i have a 2nd remote and the weather has cooled down (I'm in Florida after all), I plan to let some fly the M2 or at least watch the video feed on the secondary remote. If they get into trouble, i can take over with the primary remote.

Something I plan to soon introduce is programming the tellos using Blocks programming. Now that i have a iPad, I can use DroneBlocks on my M2 and P3. The Android version only supports the Tello.

Reactions: rkdauph
Congratulations on the growing project and good on you for advocating safe and legitimate practices.

The school I got my license with in Australia had a good balance of practical and theory. UAVAir.com.au
I found the obstacle courses over safety cones really valuable. No looking at the screen, vertical, horizontal then diagonal figure 8's/ squares/triangles. Orienting the aircraft forward for flight and then keeping it oriented to the pilot the entire time. So a whole series of skills based training that teaches skills. It'd be really easy to buy a multi rotor and stare at the screen too much imo.

Here in Australia having a commercial operators certificate means you listen on the airwaves for all flights. I have to say that listening to ATC for a few hours 6-7miles from a major airport really makes you appreciate ATC and how they keep the sky safe. Or hearing a seaplane or helicopter announce it is inbound for the same beach or park you are flying at is valuable.

I would have liked to do some FPV training and still would like to do this at some stage. I see some of the flying that the skilled FPV guys do and I'm totally in awe.

I am a fan of DJI, for what I know about the ability to set get fence limitations and broken signal protocols etc. In saying that I only have DJI experience.

Best of luck and hope that helps

Reactions: Gindra
I've been facilitating a drone "workshop" at a local computer club. Most attendees are retirees with only around 3 to 5 attending at any meeting.
Unlike other classes the club offers where once you're taught how to use Windows 10, there isn't much else, there's always something to do and say in our class.
During the first hour we discuss current events, talk about new regulations or policies and I might show videos I've taken of things my M2 can do. Second hour I often demonstrate flying my M2. Lately with two of us owning a Tello, we've been encouraging everyone to fly ours. After several sessions, they're just getting the hang of the sticks.
Now that i have a 2nd remote and the weather has cooled down (I'm in Florida after all), I plan to let some fly the M2 or at least watch the video feed on the secondary remote. If they get into trouble, i can take over with the primary remote.

Something I plan to soon introduce is programming the tellos using Blocks programming. Now that i have a iPad, I can use DroneBlocks on my M2 and P3. The Android version only supports the Tello.

A short review at the beginning of each course is a great idea. Thanks.

Congratulations on the growing project and good on you for advocating safe and legitimate practices.

The school I got my license with in Australia had a good balance of practical and theory. UAVAir.com.au
I found the obstacle courses over safety cones really valuable. No looking at the screen, vertical, horizontal then diagonal figure 8's/ squares/triangles. Orienting the aircraft forward for flight and then keeping it oriented to the pilot the entire time. So a whole series of skills based training that teaches skills. It'd be really easy to buy a multi rotor and stare at the screen too much imo.

Here in Australia having a commercial operators certificate means you listen on the airwaves for all flights. I have to say that listening to ATC for a few hours 6-7miles from a major airport really makes you appreciate ATC and how they keep the sky safe. Or hearing a seaplane or helicopter announce it is inbound for the same beach or park you are flying at is valuable.

I would have liked to do some FPV training and still would like to do this at some stage. I see some of the flying that the skilled FPV guys do and I'm totally in awe.

I am a fan of DJI, for what I know about the ability to set get fence limitations and broken signal protocols etc. In saying that I only have DJI experience.

Best of luck and hope that helps

Hands-on time is something we will be doing as many do not have the confidence to "develop" their own skills without a solid base line.

ATC monitoring is not a normal requirement here in the states. But as an ATP helicopter pilot and an Air Traffic Controller, I couldn't agree more with the value for both gaining an 'air sense' and safety.

I don't have any FPV experience but it is a requested course. I will be able to hire in trainers for specific subjects. FPV may be one of them.

Thanks for the input.

2 quick questions Ray, if you don’t mind.
1) How long is a class, time wise?
2) How many classes in the course/semester?
Blue skies from SoCal.

2 quick questions Ray, if you don’t mind.
1) How long is a class, time wise?
2) How many classes in the course/semester?
Blue skies from SoCal.

There will be approximately six-seven non-credit continuing-ed classes.
  1. Anywhere from two to eight hours. Really undetermined at this time. I am not an academic, I am simply the curriculum developer and adjunct instructor.
    1. I was told to develop the course and determine the number of contact hours required. Most will be conducted on weekday evenings and weekends.
  2. Basic, intermediate, and advanced flight, maintenance, basic drone photography/videography, the 107 prep course will be brought over when the rubrics are finalized. I want to add operational considerations, flight planning, pre, and post-flight procedures, basically more safety and business-oriented training.
    1. A 16-hour class could be completed over a weekend - 8 hours per day.
    2. OR - one two hour weekday evening class per week for eight weeks. (Two two weekday evening hours classes over four weeks.)
    3. Hands-on flying will be part of the flight classes. NO prerequisites will be required for any course. (Should be fun)
Given my aviation background, I think having them develop their own operations manual would be the most beneficial way to burn through the learning process.

Ray

Reactions: Skyflyer129
Sounds like you are tracking well with the planning.
I would offer them a take away template Operations Manual that includes some considerations for maintenance schedules, checklists, planning template etc.

For some people doing a course and getting some form of accreditation is the end of the preparation process vs the beginning.

Sounds like you are tracking well with the planning.
I would offer them a take away template Operations Manual that includes some considerations for maintenance schedules, checklists, planning template etc.

For some people doing a course and getting some form of accreditation is the end of the preparation process vs the beginning.

In my experience, giving a boilerplate manual normally ensures they won't work through the process, internalize the concepts, or actually follow any procedures outlined.

I am looking at the course progression to be a bridge to something like the AUVSI Top Operator certification.

Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000