DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help me decide: Mavic Pro or Mavic Pro Platinum?

PhotographerTom

Reactions
Yesterday I was 95% sure on the Mavic Pro. However after reading Top 10 Last-Minute Gifts for Photographers I'm on the fence about getting a Mavic Pro or spending a few more bucks to get the Platinum version.

So, I noticed the Platinum is 60% quieter, different color and 30 minutes flight time. Did I miss anything else? For those of you who have a Mavic, if you did upgrade to the Platinum, or want to... tell me your reasoning for spending extra $$ on it.

Thank you so much!!

Actually if I go with the Mavic Pro, can I later just add the Platinum props?
You can, but here's what DJI says. The Mavic Pro Platinum is 4dB quieter. The props only reduce the noise by 2dB, the other 2 are from the different ESC motors in the platinum. This also improves battery as well. The props only deliver half of the improvements. The other half is the drone itself.

60% quieter? That's some serious misinformation. It's questionable whether it's quieter at all -- though it does change the sound to a more pleasing pitch. As to the flight time, it's definitely longer, but don't believe what DJI or the article says. In reality, the Mavic will push you to land at 20% battery. Most people here will tell you that you'll do flights of a max of 22 minutes for the MP, and a couple minutes more for the MPP.

There's no way it's "60% quieter", but I can tell you I measured a 3dB drop on my sound level meter after putting the new props on my Mavic Pro, the sound they make is less 'buzzy' to the ears and far less noticeable above 100 feet - so for that alone the new props on the original Mavic are worth it. One thing I've almost never seen mentioned in new-prop reviews is that the hovering RPMs dropped almost 20% with the new props - easily seen on the controller's display. That should help motor longevity.

Given the price reductions on the MP, I'd rather buy a couple extra batteries than spend that money on the Platinum if I didn't own a Mavic at all. The 'Arctic White' and MPP versions tell me that the platform is nearing End Of Life, they're squeezing out all the revenue possible from a mature and cost-amortized design and we can expect a new-generation Mavic by the springtime.

I think the Platinum is a proving-ground platform for the new ESC design to be used in most/all DJI drones announced in the future.

Last edited:
Why don't they make the drone red? Seems like you would be able to see in sky better when flying?

Probably something to do with red being the color of some other, crappier drone brands. Color actually doesn't matter as much as you'd think -- most people lose sight of them after around 300m out....and I doubt that a bright color would change that -- it's just a speck in the sky at that point. People around here re-skin their drones... but not so much for distant visibility as it is for personalization.

Why don't they make the drone red? Seems like you would be able to see in sky better when flying?
I don't think a red Mavic would sell as well - it's not 'cute' like the Spark and probably needs to be more professional-looking for most buyers.
But you can always buy a skin in almost any color or pattern you might wish.

Reactions: pixl
60% quieter? That's some serious misinformation. It's questionable whether it's quieter at all -- though it does change the sound to a more pleasing pitch. As to the flight time, it's definitely longer, but don't believe what DJI or the article says. In reality, the Mavic will push you to land at 20% battery. Most people here will tell you that you'll do flights of a max of 22 minutes for the MP, and a couple minutes more for the MPP.

Serious misinformation? No, it's not, it's the exact information that DJI officially lists on their site. Now, if DJI is inaccurate that's a different story. I have the MPP and do not have the original MP to compare so I can't comment on the real world difference.

I would go with the MPP over the MP, just my personal opinion. Would rather have the latest technology in the ESCs.

Serious misinformation? No, it's not, it's the exact information that DJI officially lists on their site. Now, if DJI is inaccurate that's a different story. I have the MPP and do not have the original MP to compare so I can't comment on the real world difference.

I would go with the MPP over the MP, just my personal opinion. Would rather have the latest technology in the ESCs.

Just because DJI says it on their site doesn't make it not misinformation.

mis·in·for·ma·tion
ˌmisinfərˈmāSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. false or inaccurate information, especially that which is deliberately intended to deceive.
    "nuclear matters are often entangled in a web of secrecy and misinformation"

stick with the Mavic Pro. not much difference and it is going to be hard to see no matter what color it is unless you fly at night. it is quiet already and to me is not worth the extra cash YET. IT IS AN AMAZING BIRD ALL THE SAME

6 of one half dozen the other
Makes no real difference
Which colour do you prefer
There's also the new white one that comes.with 3 batteries
Another option

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member