DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help me identify all the faults with my mavic

Richard-mavic

Reactions
So I appear to have been sent the Mavic from hell. I've already established that it has to go back on an RMA as the gimbal controller is knackered what's worse - no mavic, or a faulty mavic?!

But there also appears to be other problems, and i want to make sure I don't send it off, get a new gimbal, and get a craft back that has all the other problems still:

1. When flying forward with vision positioning enabled, it flies about 1/5th the speed it should. sometimes it will fly faster, but generally it behaves as if its in some kind of tripod mode. Any other axis is speedy. Sport mode is speedy. Is this normal, or do I have a problem with my sensors system?
  2. When attempting a RTH, at one point in the process it said front sensor problem (or something) on the screen, It might have been that it was staring straight into the sun, but i couldn't be sure if that was what was causing it, so want to know if that is a problem that can occur?
  3. My camera is clearly totally screwed. see picture attached below. Looks like they've sent me a tilt-shift lens by mistake!
  4. Can the camera issue be confusing the front sensors at all? Is there any crossover of information do you think?
  5. The gimbal problem noted in the other thread.

At what point do I call this a write off, and ask for a new one? Is it better to have these faults fixed, and get one back that works, or risk getting another new one that doesn't work?! Bearing in mind the stock issues, i'm torn (and may also not have a choice...)

would appreciate the advice.

thanks, Richard

DJI_0016.JPG

DJI_0011.JPG

In the UK we can just reject the goods for replacement/refund (within 30 days of purchase) we also can just return for refund with "distance selling" in 7 days assuming it is mail/internet order. I would look for a refund rather than a rework, and get to the back of the queue!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I'm certainly not going to the beck out the queue having cancelled my order from 01/10!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm certainly not going to the beck out the queue having cancelled my order from 01/10!

Just saying what I would do. When I buy something new I want it working out of the box and not require mending. Only exceptions would be minor faults on car or house, but pretty much everything else I'd want it replaced/refunded. I think yours may not have a simple fault and may end up in a loop between you and the repair centre. How much confidence are you going to have in a repaired drone? I'd be constantly scrutinising my footage and it just would not sit right. The fact it has multiple issues suggests it was an "end of shift" build, thrown together to complete a batch.

Reactions: Rip
I'd guess that the camera sensor has taken a knock and become displaced.

My Mavic is quite slow unless in sport mode, maybe 20 mph max, I'm unconcerned, maybe even a setting in the Go app, I'll investigate shortly.

yes i can either just return it and ask Selfridges to get me a replacement - they ought to reserve one for me in that situation. Problem with that is I've taken out DJI Care on it, so i'd have to go about getting that refunded.

OR, I can get it repaired. Certainly it's going to need a new camera. I'm unsure of the vision system thing. It goes maybe 10mph with the sensors on (usually) but turn them off and it's nippy. doesn't seem right to me.

I reckon this might have something to do with the sensor being dislodged. [warning, this video is not for the feint hearted ;-)]

Reactions: Dougie
yes i can either just return it and ask Selfridges to get me a replacement - they ought to reserve one for me in that situation. Problem with that is I've taken out DJI Care on it, so i'd have to go about getting that refunded.

OR, I can get it repaired. Certainly it's going to need a new camera. I'm unsure of the vision system thing. It goes maybe 10mph with the sensors on (usually) but turn them off and it's nippy. doesn't seem right to me.

Do you know where the DJI service facility is? Is it Germany?

If it was me I would start an RMA because, as frustrating it is, you can be relatively confident that the replacement will be 100% fully functioning. Whichever way you go, you're going to be without a Mavic for a week or two I would imagine, the RMA route guarantees you getting one whereas the alternative puts you back in limbo land.

Caveat: I have absolutely no experience of DJI's support system..

I think European RMA is in Germany, and I think they are also quite efficient. There can't be many Mavics that are being repaired right now (compared with the queue for new ones). I think it's kind of a guarantee that I'll get it back within 2 weeks, whereas having cancelled my DJI order from 10/01 I think I'll be waiting until next year to see a new one. Just need to see if it has to go via Selfridges or if I ship myself. (Pretty sure Selfridges are more efficient than me at postage!)

thanks for your input. Can't believe this thing is so knackered that it shook its own camera sensor off. Although I have to say I quite like the tilt-shift look of my neighbourhood! very arty!

Jesus, Richard, that is a shocker! Really sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations, particularly after all the excitement the other day when you got it. My personal opinion is, send it back and I'll bet you'll get a new one. That one looks a terminal case to me.

Don't want to sound like the drone police but you shouldn't be flying it in a built up area, even more so if it's faulty.

Reactions: The Editor
I would get this RMA'd asap ... contact the supplier or dji and get a support ticket opened...

Were did you buy your drone from ??

Last edited:
This is worrisome, what if the next one has similar issues.. this is what happens when a company over sells and rushes to market ..

mavic.gif

Yep that is for real. Fun as it has been to test it out and get used to the craft, it's pretty annoying to have it in my bag to send it back.

Be interesting to see what the process is for repair. I think it's totally unrelated to the factory floor so hope for great efficiency.

I think the faults are just the camera, although I'd like to know if anyone else find their mavic slows down quite a lot when the VPS is enabled? I've now found that in my garden it flies slowly, presumably because there are obstacles around. Up 50m in the air it shows about 25-30kph forwards. Is this normal?

Yep that is for real. Fun as it has been to test it out and get used to the craft, it's pretty annoying to have it in my bag to send it back.

Be interesting to see what the process is for repair. I think it's totally unrelated to the factory floor so hope for great efficiency.

I think the faults are just the camera, although I'd like to know if anyone else find their mavic slows down quite a lot when the VPS is enabled? I've now found that in my garden it flies slowly, presumably because there are obstacles around. Up 50m in the air it shows about 25-30kph forwards. Is this normal?

Only had 4 flights with mine so far, mostly down to the grim weather. 3 times in an open space, and once in my back garden which is surrounded by trees. Quite quick in the open field flights, but it definitely SEEMED slower on the garden flight. I put that down to the fact that it couldn't ever really get a head of steam as I was testing the OA.

when it's in a confined space it definitely turns the speed down - it's clear to see as it will only allow itself to roll a limited amount. I watched a video where the DJI engineer said that the mavic keeps a record of things it has seen, and stores that as a local 'map' of the area. Perhaps after once around the garden it decided that there wasn't enough for aggressive manoeuvres and adjusted accordingly. Above the treeline it seemed to be running pretty fast. Sport mode on the other hand is pretty insane, and great fun when you know there's nothing to hit!

Reactions: Wacker2611
Don't want to sound like the drone police but you shouldn't be flying it in a built up area, even more so if it's faulty.

if you dont want to sound like the drone police dont act like one.. :)

sorry but i could not resist.. :)

trog

RMA in progress. apparently it's 5-7 working days to repair, according to DJI. fingers crossed

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580