DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help. Missing flight data of last known whereabouts?

EricMeyer

Reactions
Man have I been all over Google and into my Smart Controller looking for the last known flight data of my poor M2Pro that lost and never regained controller connection. I could've sworn I saw it and therefore had a great idea of where to start hunting by foot.

Welcome ideas. Apologies for question redundancy but I have spent a few hours following guidance on this great forum.

Merry X to all and stay safe please.

EDIT: Somehow she found her way home and landed on my upper deck (not the home coordinates where she took off). Woo Hoo! Safe and sound!!!!

Man have I been all over Google and into my Smart Controller looking for the last known flight data of my poor M2Pro that lost and never regained controller connection. I could've sworn I saw it and therefore had a great idea of where to start hunting by foot.

Welcome ideas. Apologies for question redundancy but I have spent a few hours following guidance on this great forum.

EDIT: Somehow she found her way home and landed on my upper deck (not the home coordinates where she took off). Woo Hoo! Safe and sound!!!!
That’s happened to me. I took off from indoors late at night, lost connection during the flight and was not able to find the drone. The next morning I found that my drone had landed on the roof in its effort to ‘return to home’.

Can you post what flight logs exist? It would be interesting to see how it swapped home points. Could you have accidentally reset the home point during the flight?
I am not sure if the SC gives you a DAT but I assume you will have at least a DJIFlightRecord_2020-12-24_[xx-yy-zz].txt

Last edited by a moderator:

Here’s how to find and upload your flight logs:

Analysis of your flight data will show exactly what happened and explain why the drone landed where it did.
Understanding this would help you to avoid similar situations.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report on the flight data.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides

Reactions: Thomas B
You are not the only one not having the patience to wait for the craft to RTH. I have come across a report in which the guy found his drone next to the home point after two days

Reactions: hiflyer201
You are not the only one not having the patience to wait for the craft to RTH. I have come across a report in which the guy found his drone next to the home point after two days
Guess pilot should have looked for it instead of leaving it outside for 2 days.

Reactions: EricJT

MERRY CHRISTMAS

thanks..I kinda remember that one now..."In times of stress the vision blurs"!

I guess we’ll never know.
There are only two possibilities.
Either the landing point was close to the launch point (within 15-20 ft) .. or
The drone was launched before the home point was recorded and the home point was recorded as the drone flew over the landing spot.

Reactions: Capt KO
Meta4, Exactly, The only 2 reasonable possibilities. Also means it maybe took off before gps lock. Thus the moved homepoint. Lucky so close.
Congratulations and Merry Christmas.

Or perhaps inadvertently changed the location of the home point to the transmitter?

So where did it actually take off from then, and set homepoint? :oops:
Great question. I've learned something. My homepoint was on my rear deck that requires navigation in and around some tree branches starting from a LOW POINT then traveling laterally then game on to go vertically. The home return comes from top down and therefore you need a straight shot down. This is not possible with my homepoint of choice. Therefore the return auto return to home had to find a new anti-collision/anti-hit tree limbs and therefore it had to find a new home point. Maybe 30' away from where I assumed it would return and 15' higher. Who would've thunk it.

Lesson learned: Find a homepoint that has an incredibly clear and unobstructed vertical ascend and descend spot---something that is not easy on my property. Great lesson.

...Therefore the return auto return to home had to find a new anti-collision/anti-hit tree limbs and therefore it had to find a new home point.

Think you misunderstand the RTH functionality ... recommend that you go here, download & read up on how it works (page 15) --> https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_2/Mavic_2_Pro_Zoom_User_Manual_v2.2_en.pdf

The M2P will return to the recorded HP & try to land, it will not find another "free of obstacles" landing spot on it's own.
If the RTH obstacle avoidance is active it can dodge obstacles on the return flight & if it finds the landing spot not suitable for landing (obstacles cover it) the sensors will stop the landing & wait for your command... if you don't clear it for landing it will hover there until low battery landing kicks in.

If the obstacle avoidance sensors fail to stop either in flight or landing the AC will crash ... you were just lucky this time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest