DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help! Need GPS coords from txt file of last known position

rhood72

Reactions
Hi all-

I recently lost my mini near a glacier here in AK. Its seems the drone just fell from the sky when the motors stopped working due to low temps. My fault, clearly. It landed in the snow and probably will never be found, but I might give it one shot. I'm attaching the flight log file in case someone here can decode the final GPS coords for me.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2021-03-13_[14-49-40].txt
    906.3 KB · Views: 9
Use the "find my drone" feature in the app.
I did that the day I lost the drone - I could hear it but I couldn't find it (probably buried in snow nearby). Since the drone's battery is long since dead the "find my drone" feature will not work. I need accurate GPS coords to find it now.

Yep ... that battery was severely abused, seems that you didn't try to keep it warm inside your clothes before using it.

1616921822385.png

Here is the last position in the log ... should be the same as in the "Find my drone" in the app. Seems it is laying upside down ...

1616921919705.png

I'm attaching the flight log file in case someone here can decode the final GPS coords for me
The last recorded coordinates are 60.7525774376496, -148.7949001.

Here is the last position in the log ... should be the same as in the "Find my drone" in the app. Seems it is laying upside down ...

View attachment 126368
The last recorded coordinates are 60.7525774376496, -148.7949001.
0.00001 of a degree is approximately 1 metre
There's no need to go past 5 decimal places with GPS location data, since GPS cannot measure beyond that.

There's no need to go past 5 decimal places with GPS location data
Nope. That's just what Airdata was showing.

Reactions: slup
Nope. That's just what Airdata was showing.
Yes .. but there's no need to repeat it past 5 decimal places.
Consumer GPS can't measure past that so any extra digits are meaningless.

...no need to repeat it past 5 decimal places.
Consumer GPS can't measure past that so any extra digits are meaningless.

Think we are fully aware of that ... meaningless, no not for me, made it simple & saved my time by just copy the last line from the CSV file as it was & instead jumped quicker into what my wife wanted me to do ;) ?

Thank you all for your help.

One more question: This final GPS location seems to be a bit off (by about 60 meters or so) from the last position shown on the map of the last flight (DJI app --> profile --> more --> chose the last flight and watch it on the map on my phone.)

Is one of these more reliable than the other? I'd assume the final GPS location via the datalog would be solid, but then again the flight route/map shown on my phone comes from that same data set, no?

Was the last known position changing in the end or consistent over the last 1-2 seconds? That might tell me whether or not the drone was still moving when it stopped recording data.

I'm just trying to get as accurate a last known position as possible.

Again, thank you all for your help.

Was the last known position changing in the end or consistent over the last 1-2 seconds? That might tell me whether or not the drone was still moving when it stopped recording data.
The final position shown in the data was: 60.75258 -148.79490
The drone showed no change in the pitch, roll and yaw data at that position movement for the last for four seconds of the flight data - it was sitting almost upside down and not moving.

Reactions: DJayI
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore