DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help on used drone :)

johnfak75

Reactions
Hey guys
I had a DJI phantom 3 a while back I used for some fun just to get feet wet ......... then sold it.
Looking to buy a USED .... cheap (relatively) but good drone for the same purpose. It will only be used sporadically - stuff like

* Raw mountain footage when we do a yearly wyoming trip.
* Some kayak/fishing footage
* General beach/house other boredom type footage

Dont need super long distances - maybe 1 mile max (basically just out of eyesight)
Same with runtime.
Camera quality obviously always matter.

Was thinking about the DJI mini ....... looks like you can pick one up ready to fly (base package) for ~$200
Thoughts or better options - Im not limited to DJI if someone has experience with other either .......

Reactions: PeterPatrick
Hey guys
I had a DJI phantom 3 a while back I used for some fun just to get feet wet ......... then sold it.
Looking to buy a USED .... cheap (relatively) but good drone for the same purpose. It will only be used sporadically - stuff like

Dont need super long distances - maybe 1 mile max (basically just out of eyesight)
Same with runtime.

Was thinking about the DJI mini ....... looks like you can pick one up ready to fly (base package) for ~$200
Thoughts or better options - Im not limited to DJI if someone has experience with other either .......
Mini 2 or Air2. Air2 wins hands down for me, but does cost more than the Mini2. You will want the FlyMore package as well for the batteries.

As for range - expecting a mile esp in mountainous areas is unrealistic and way beyond your line of sight. Even when I fly at the beach with my Air2 - 1/4 mile really gets the drone to being a tiny dot if even visible depending on sky / other factors.

Once you decide your drone - make sure to take the FAA's "TRUST" test as it's a requirement and to have the certificate on your person when flying the drone. It's more or less and open book test, but you will learn some of the main rules the FAA knows are the ones most pilots disregard. Kind of one of those - you know the rules, you got the certificate, and you were caught exceeding the limits of those rules - slap, slap, slap on the hand (or whatever they decide is the punishment).

As well, understand local and state flying rules / laws - as many states and now towns / cities have ordinances / laws about flying in parks / etc. None of the current apps like Aloft, B4UFLY, etc do not cover these that I've found in the several states that do have them and then flown there using those maps / apps.

If you get one of the minis you will be a little surprised at how difficult they are to see...especially compared to a Phantom....you do not want to go beyond your ability to see the thing.....it is a violation....and it is easy to lose these things

Reactions: Dbez1
Air2 if you can swing it by. Sometimes the refurbished ones are actually a better idea than the new production line ones.

Hey guys

Same with runtime.

Hey guys

Same with runtime.

If you can get more batteries
They can be found from $45.00 and up each. Then you need a charging hub $ 38 and up.
You need a case $ 15 and up.
Landing pad $ 12 and up
So this is what your costs are going to be.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123