DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help Please - totally confused on this air classification map and rules

Mavic Raptor

Reactions
Hi Everyone,

I have been searching high and low for something to explain this and give me an answer as to if we are or are not permitted to fly in this airspace (and why LAANC isn't available), but I just cannot get a clear answer and really not understanding why there is no LAANC authorization available for this area.

Here is the map from B4uFly (ignore the "unsupported location" error in yellow...I turned off my GPS so you won't know my exact location :) ):

Screenshot_20220912-232841_B4UFLY.jpg

The grey circle, obviously, is an airport radius. Now, this area is defined as controlled airspace, naturally, and is designated a CLASS C airspace. No problem....LAANC authorization works flawlessly in this area, ranging from about 100ft to 400ft depending on how close your radius is to the airport.... B4UFLY lets you "Get LAANC" authorization by opening the Aloft Air Control app....I've done this numerous times and works just fine.

Now the absolute confusion. The light green rectangles are obviously the runway path directions and are also controlled airspace because of airline flight paths...just like the gray circle. HOWEVER, these light green areas are designated as CLASS E2 airspace. This is also controlled airspace, but a major difference is there is NO LAANC authorization available for these areas.
I am completely bewildered why you can be in the gray area (within 5 miles of the airport), directly inline with these light green rectangles and have no trouble getting LAANC authorization, yet moving further out away from the airport into the light green rectangles, all of a sudden you cannot get LAANC authorization.

Can anyone explain this to me? Typically, class E airspace is 700ft and above and we should be fine under 400ft, but I know E2 classification is a bit different, but I don't understand why it is so much more complicated to get approval for these light green areas than the gray circle around the airport itself?...they actually have a link in the Aloft app to apply at FAA drone zone for permission...WHAT?!

strange_classification.png

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your reply....this chart makes more sense. Guess it is time for me to dig into learning how to read sectional charts and, perhaps, get my part 107!

While B4UFLY is very useful for temporary flight restrictions Doommeister is spot on in pointing you to Skyvector. It would pay for all drone pilots to learn to read the sectional charts that you can access for free there. The most confusing part of this is the type E airspace which has so many varieties. Here is a link to Pilot Institute’s explanation of type E airspace.

sectional charts give a ton of information and you can learn how to read one with the information that comes with the chart. I would suggest having one for the area or areas that you frequently fly. Available in either hard copy or digital format. For a hard copy, visit the FBO in your area in a class C or D airspace.

All very helpful replies, gentlemen, and I really appreciate it and certainly will investigate this further.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007