DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help understanding LUTs

Gr8fulTed

Reactions
I am quite new to video thanks to the Osmo Pocket and have seem dozens of videos regarding Cinelike-D, most in conjunction with LUTs. I have actually downloaded LUTs for the Pocket. Now what? I can't download them to the Pocket. Do I download them to the cellphone?

Needs some gentle, clear direction.

Thanks for all helpful posts.

From what I understand, LUTs are presets that you would load into your photo/video editing software. I could be off base, but this is what I have gathered.

I am quite new to video thanks to the Osmo Pocket and have seem dozens of videos regarding Cinelike-D, most in conjunction with LUTs. I have actually downloaded LUTs for the Pocket. Now what? I can't download them to the Pocket. Do I download them to the cellphone?

Needs some gentle, clear direction.

Thanks for all helpful posts.

You import them into your video editing app (such as DaVinci Resolve 15) then apply them according to the app. Some can be combined or applied more than once to obtain the desired result.
Lots of video tutorials on YouTube.

LUTs can be very useful and often are used to speed up the process of post production video work. Instead of importing a clip into your preferred video editing software and then adjusting all of the settings. One can apply a LUT that applies all the settings at once.

Its like a macro in a sense that applies all of the adjustments in one whack. Then one can go in an tweak the fine details slightly to meet thier needs and tastes.

All these answers are correct.
Stepping back a little - and LUT is basically a collection of colour alterations that affect an image.

However. These really are designed for flat colour profiles. D-cinelike on the Osmo Pocket is not a flat profile. You can probably just add a little contrast or saturation and that’s about it.

Also- to properly use LUTs you need a high. Bitrate video and good colour sampling in the file from the camera.

The Osmo P does not have enough colour information to properly grade anyway. All you’ll do is break up the colour information and it will look worse.

As a video professional much is made of grading etc but you’re better off getting it looking good in camera - and just making some light adjustments like saturation etc. The OP files are just not robust enough for much else.

Play around for sure but don’t get too bogged down with worrying about colour grades. Just concentrate of not getting crap footage.

All these answers are correct.
Stepping back a little - and LUT is basically a collection of colour alterations that affect an image.

However. These really are designed for flat colour profiles. D-cinelike on the Osmo Pocket is not a flat profile. You can probably just add a little contrast or saturation and that’s about it.

Also- to properly use LUTs you need a high. Bitrate video and good colour sampling in the file from the camera.

The Osmo P does not have enough colour information to properly grade anyway. All you’ll do is break up the colour information and it will look worse.

As a video professional much is made of grading etc but you’re better off getting it looking good in camera - and just making some light adjustments like saturation etc. The OP files are just not robust enough for much else.

Play around for sure but don’t get too bogged down with worrying about colour grades. Just concentrate of not getting crap footage.
There are LUTs intended for cinelike, but if the original poster is editing on a phone there isn't a realistic way to use them.
I think the people and companies trying to sell LUTs like to imply a magical ability.
using a decent editor like Premiere you can adjust your footage and create and save your own LUT from that work which might be useful again later if it seems to work well.
You can also grade a still from the video and work on it in photoshop and save the changes as a LUT to apply to further clips in your sequence.
A major point to note is that usually after you apply the LUT you willreduce the opacity of the effect - typically to about 50%.
This all re-enforces the point you don't really want to know about this f editing on a phone or more simple PC software either for that matter.

Think of LUTs as a collection of preselected settings on your colour options within various video editors. Although they can speed up the post processing, they are a starting point that should still be tweaked for each clip to get the very best out of them.

These answers are all helpful. As someone who is very into post-processing on my DSLR, I do understand now that I can just take a LUT into whatever particular processing software as, basically, a preset. I have played around with Wondrershare's Filmore, and have downloaded DaVinci Resolve 15. The former seems a little too basic, while the latter is currently overwhelming. I fall back to iMovie, but based on my experience with RAW photography, it doesn't quite do it for me. I've begun saving multiple YouTube videos that is suppose to teach me the basics on DaVinci Resolve, and now I need to find the time and force myself to watch them.

Once again, thanks so much all of you for the input. It was warmly received.

Reactions: fozzzy
These answers are all helpful. As someone who is very into post-processing on my DSLR, I do understand now that I can just take a LUT into whatever particular processing software as, basically, a preset. I have played around with Wondrershare's Filmore, and have downloaded DaVinci Resolve 15. The former seems a little too basic, while the latter is currently overwhelming. I fall back to iMovie, but based on my experience with RAW photography, it doesn't quite do it for me. I've begun saving multiple YouTube videos that is suppose to teach me the basics on DaVinci Resolve, and now I need to find the time and force myself to watch them.

Final Cut Pro X: Apply color lookup tables (LUTs)

I guessed correctly. This explains pretty well what they are and what they aim to accomplish. I learned a lot! Thanks for the question.

Reactions: Gr8fulTed
Look up "Look Up Table"...

Can people really not get the abbreviation when it's right in front of them? :oops:

Look up "Look Up Table"...

Can people really not get the abbreviation when it's right in front of them? :oops:
I understand what you're saying, but for those of us who are new to video recording, we might not necessarily understand someone was giving us the meaning of an acronym, when the question had more to do with what to do with them. Just sayin'. So to answer the question in your post, "No, some of us can't."

If you still want to dive in to DaVinci Resolve I have a suggestion on how to get to the basics, and beyond (if you want). I've started with the youtube tutorials by Casey Faris. He has both free and paid access to some pretty detailed stuff AND some good beginner 'how to' videos. Here's a link. Casey Faris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61