DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help: Vertical lines appearing in footage

cschuler15

Reactions
My company recently purchased a Mavic 2 Pro and have used it a handful of times so far. We have noticed an odd portion of the footage in the lower right when flying into the sunlight.

See photo: In the first photo I am flying away from the sun and the footage looks normal, and in the 2nd & 3rd photos the lines appear when facing the sun. Has anyone had experience with this issue? And help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Have you did the obvious and cleaned your lens . Isn't a prop shadow .
I have had places on my lens before you only could see when turned into the sun just right .
Welcome to the forum .

Have you did the obvious and cleaned your lens . Isn't a prop shadow .
I have had places on my lens before you only could see when turned into the sun just right .
Welcome to the forum .
Thanks for the reply, yes the sensor is clean. I have noticed the line since the first flight with this model (still only when facing sunlight)

I'm guessing it's some kind of lens flare. Are you flying with the protective dome still in place?

On the bottom two photos you're pointed straight into the sun. I'm guessing it's some kind of lens flare. Are you flying with the protective dome still in place?
The dome has always been removed. The second two screenshots were from flying "towards" the sun, but not pointing the camera directly at it. As you can see the sun is still higher in the sky than the drone or camera angle.

Each flight regardless of time or day has had the line in the same area which is why it is more worrying.

Other examples. Many of which from different flights

Attachments

• Nested Sequence 01.00_00_14_06.Still001.png
    Nested Sequence 01.00_00_14_06.Still001.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 24
  • Nested Sequence 01.00_00_15_03.Still002.png
    Nested Sequence 01.00_00_15_03.Still002.png
    4 MB · Views: 23
  • Nested Sequence 01.00_00_43_21.Still003.png
    Nested Sequence 01.00_00_43_21.Still003.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 25
  • Nested Sequence 01.00_02_24_08.Still005.png
    Nested Sequence 01.00_02_24_08.Still005.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 25
  • Nested Sequence 01.00_02_38_00.Still004.png
    Nested Sequence 01.00_02_38_00.Still004.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 25
  • Nested Sequence 01.00_02_39_11.Still006.png
    Nested Sequence 01.00_02_39_11.Still006.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 24
I think the good news is it’s not the sensor. Unless you’ve cropped the images you provided, the line moves around, both in placement and in its apparent angle versus vertical. If it was the sensor I think it would be identical in every picture.

I think the next investigative step would be to shoot some video as you slowly change orientation versus the sun. A dark background would help.

I think you have a scratch or debris either on the lens (that you don't see, might need a loupe) or inside the camera.

Have you removed the "native lens glass" to use ND or other filters? As suggested, might debris have entered between the true lens and the outer glass?

I would turn it into service.
That is not supposed to be there.
Not even in the sunlight...too common and not like any lens flare I have seen.
Bet it is a manufacture's defect.

My company recently purchased a Mavic 2 Pro and have used it a handful of times so far. We have noticed an odd portion of the footage in the lower right when flying into the sunlight.

See photo: In the first photo I am flying away from the sun and the footage looks normal, and in the 2nd & 3rd photos the lines appear when facing the sun. Has anyone had experience with this issue? And help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

View attachment 77600
I'm thinking this might be an internal reflection, e.g.: sunlight bouncing off a surface into the lens from an exterior portion of the drone. This is supported by the fact that it only happens when facing the light source (sun). If you are good, Adobe After Effects now has CONTENT AWARE FILL. https://youtu.be/TvWI0a0Oqi0 to remove unwanted objects in your video.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929