DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with a project please :)

sikboarderty

Reactions
Is there a way that I can store a flight path that can be used multiple times?

I'm trying to shoot a very interesting part of a river that I live close to, I'd like to do 8-10 passes over the exact same path throughout the year, and seamlessly edit them together to create what I think could me a very visually stunning edit.

When I say exact I'm looking for things like, altitude, speed, direction and gimbal angle.

Thankyou for any help in advance :)

Is there a way that I can store a flight path that can be used multiple times?

I'm trying to shoot a very interesting part of a river that I live close to, I'd like to do 8-10 passes over the exact same path throughout the year, and seamlessly edit them together to create what I think could me a very visually stunning edit.

When I say exact I'm looking for things like, altitude, speed, direction and gimbal angle.

Thankyou for any help in advance :)

Litchi could do that for You, but I don’t know if the instrumental precision matches with Your requirements. Some tests could help

Reactions: sikboarderty
I did a year long project at my local golf course using Litchi and it was spot on for the 24 flights, blended together beautifully.

My fear using DJI's waypoints is how the bird reacts to the waypoint route may change as DJI is constantly changing things with updates which can affect how it flies. Then the shots may not match up. Litchi hasn't changed in a very long time.

My fear using DJI's waypoints is how the bird reacts to the waypoint route may change as DJI is constantly changing things with updates which can affect how it flies. Then the shots may not match up. Litchi hasn't changed in a very long time.
I don’t think they have the possibility to change waypoints?

I don’t think they have the possibility to change waypoints?
What I am referring to is things like reports that the drone acts jerky in curves, ect. As they make changes to their waypoints, the drone may respond differently to the same path and the shots may not match up.

What I am referring to is things like reports that the drone acts jerky in curves, ect. As they make changes to their waypoints, the drone may respond differently to the same path and the shots may not match up.
Yup, they've already done that once. So maybe the GPS locations of each way-point will be the same, but the camera movement may not match for a flight after a firmware upgrade.

Because waypoint missions for DJI is a new thing, while LITCHI is a mature app (been doing these waypoint missions for years now).

Chris

Reactions: brettbrandon
I have litchi, I'll give that a try maybe in an open field with a set of objects to simulate what I'm trying to do. Thank you very much for the tip,!
Use Litchi Virtual Mission, it lets you run really good flight simulations before flying them with Litchi:

Last edited:
Reactions: sikboarderty
Can't Waypoints in Go 4 app do that? Have you tried it?
it is masochism to use as you have to have drone active burning battery while setting the route and no way to have a path prepared on your PC and have a library of routes. not worth the effort even to care, DJI did a horrible job with it.

Reactions: AMann
it is masochism to use as you have to have drone active burning battery while setting the route and no way to have a path prepared on your PC and have a library of routes. not worth the effort even to care, DJI did a horrible job with it.
Wait, is Litchi able to do those things you mentioned?

Wait, is Litchi able to do those things you mentioned?
Yes, even better if you use it through the desktop app Virtual Litchi Mission I linked above, it lets you preplan a flight using GoogleEarth interface and you can simulate the flight in 3D to determine any issues like pointing the camera in a bad way or flying into a hillside or building before even turning on your drone.

Reactions: PS01
Yes, even better if you use it through the desktop app Virtual Litchi Mission I linked above, it lets you preplan a flight using GoogleEarth interface and you can simulate the flight in 3D to determine any issues like pointing the camera in a bad way or flying into a hillside or building before even turning on your drone.

Holy Molly! I'm definitely gonna buy Litchi because of this reason alone.
What I worry about preplanning flight is exactly running into buildings. So I usually feel more comfortable selecting waypoints at the site. And also in terms of aesthetic composition, I like composing the photo or video directly in the air. But if Litchi can do 3D simulation, I'll definitely buy that app.

Reactions: AMann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka