DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with DNG stills format

Romi

Reactions
Ok, although I may deserve it, hold off on ripping me if you can. (Just kidding).
I bought the Mavic for fun and convenience, not because it meets all of my professional photography requirements. I am in no way a professional photographer however, I did shoot some stills of a house yesterday in preparation for putting it up for sale. I used the POI mode and shot them in raw (DNG) format only to find that there aren't many apps or Windows programs that will edit then convert to JPG without spending a good bit of money. Remember, I'm not a professional and I don't want to be. But now I do have 51 DNG images that I want to use and raw is not a format widely or commonly used for non professional purposes. I did find "Contents" which is a really nice converter but I'll have to pay $30 for a 1 year license to get their watermark off the converted files. For my purposes going forward I'll just shoot JPEG files but I want to keep these pics. By the way its hard to find info on this so I'm asking you all what do you do?

Ok, although I may deserve it, hold off on ripping me if you can. (Just kidding).
I bought the Mavic for fun and convenience, not because it meets all of my professional photography requirements. I am in no way a professional photographer however, I did shoot some stills of a house yesterday in preparation for putting it up for sale. I used the POI mode and shot them in raw (DNG) format only to find that there aren't many apps or Windows programs that will edit then convert to JPG without spending a good bit of money. Remember, I'm not a professional and I don't want to be. But now I do have 51 DNG images that I want to use and raw is not a format widely or commonly used for non professional purposes. I did find "Contents" which is a really nice converter but I'll have to pay $30 for a 1 year license to get their watermark off the converted files. For my purposes going forward I'll just shoot JPEG files but I want to keep these pics. By the way its hard to find info on this so I'm asking you all what do you do?

You can download a trial version of most applications. Lightroom is the perfect program. You will have to learn how to import the photos adjust and then export. Easy enough to learn from YouTube. No watermark on the trial that I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Romi
One of the best is going to be Lightroom (Adobe). And you are right, there are no decent free DNG converters/editors. If you dont want to pay for the software to handle the DNG format, then you have made the best choice available and just shoot JPG. I would recommend not applying any kind of filter or color scheme and keep it on "NONE" for the color.

If you are on Windows 8 or 10, the Windows Photo viewer (the one built-in) will allow you to view and make some minor edits to DNG files.

I am no pro, but I wont give up Lightroom. I got a deal last year and signed up for Lightroom/Photoshop for $6.99/mo (usually $10/mo). Been worth every penny.

Reactions: Romi
Thank you. I did have Lightroom installed but it doesn't convert. I've installed Photoshop Express and I'll see how that works. Both of these are free for Android device by the way.

Lightroom does. You have to go to "Export" and then choose file type and location. That is one of the major functions of Lightroom since the first version.

Lightroom does. You have to go to "Export" and then choose file type and location. That is one of the major functions of Lightroom since the first version.[/QUO
Lightroom does. You have to go to "Export" and then choose file type and location. That is one of the major functions of Lightroom since the first version.
Awesome! I'm using the Android version so it might be a little different. Although it doesn't give you the opportunity to select the file format, it does save it in its own folder as a JPG file.
This is perfect! And I can still shoot raw! I'm a happy guy. Thank you Deckyon!

I really would like to have some native Raw file to compare the quality of the images. From the web they look good but from my desktop monitor ? While footage are Easy to find file images are rare. Anyone Can help me ?

I have been using Dark Table: www.darktable.org for mavic dng's, but I'm still refining the workflow and have some problems with white balance of imported images that I don't have from my Canon or Sony raw files.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair