DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with Dubai Rules

MagicFormatt

Reactions
Hi Everyone,
My first post here and I really need some help after checking past posts, websites and YouTube.
Can I take my Mavic Air 2 to Dubai is the simple question? I’ve read all the rules on what to do but I can’t seem to register it with the GCAA with an Emirates ID. The DCAA has a small bit for tourists to register but then I need a UID which I also don’t have because I don’t need a visa to travel. So have any of you guys been recently and if so what did you do?
Thanks in advance

Reactions: eaglesurfing
Hi MagicFormatt Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
I don’t know the answer but THIS may be worth a look
Thanks Cyborg,
I’ve checked all that and I just keep going around circles.Good news is, I’ve just heard from the DCAA and instead of registering as a tourist I can register as an individual. That way I can put a passport number in and not my Emirates ID or UID which I don’t have. If it works and I take it I’ll let you all know when I get back.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Hi Everyone,
My first post here and I really need some help after checking past posts, websites and YouTube.
Can I take my Mavic Air 2 to Dubai is the simple question? I’ve read all the rules on what to do but I can’t seem to register it with the GCAA with an Emirates ID. The DCAA has a small bit for tourists to register but then I need a UID which I also don’t have because I don’t need a visa to travel. So have any of you guys been recently and if so what did you do?
Thanks in advance
For what it's worth, I believe you are totally wasting your time trying to get a permit to fly there. In January,2020 I was planning a $25K trip to Muscat,Oman, Doha Qatar, Dubai, and Abu Dhabi, UAR for NOW (December). That is, I started to plan a year in advance! Best hotels, etc.

I began a 4 month try at getting a permit starting in January, 2020. I went through their web site, completed every single item, and went on chat calls, sent urgent messages, etc. I spent hours on line repeatedly re-filing their stupid forms. They are totally impossible to deal with. If you show up at the airport with your drone, they will seize it and hold it for you until you leave the country. If you use it illegally (without permit) they can fine you thousands of dollars and jail time. To heck with them. Because of Covid, I had to cancel my trip, but to tell you the truth, if I cannot fly there legally, there are plenty of other places in the world to visit. I also wanted to use the drone in Abu Dhabi (a whole different permit) as well as Doha (not permitted into the country with a drone), and Muscat, Oman (also illegal). I say XXXX to them. I am going elsewhere. I threw away all of my applications into the garbage, along with my plans for a visit there.

Oh yes, another thing. I wanted very much to do a time lapse using a tripod from the top of the Burj Khalifa. NO tripods of any sort are permitted, even after paying $125 USD for the ticket to the top. I received a personal refusal from the Top of the Burj Khalifa from them! These people have a lot to learn about tourism. The UAR writes the book about how to treat tourists badly.

Reactions: MagicFormatt
For what it's worth, I believe you are totally wasting your time trying to get a permit to fly there. In January,2020 I was planning a $25K trip to Muscat,Oman, Doha Qatar, Dubai, and Abu Dhabi, UAR for NOW (December). That is, I started to plan a year in advance! Best hotels, etc.

I began a 4 month try at getting a permit starting in January, 2020. I went through their web site, completed every single item, and went on chat calls, sent urgent messages, etc. I spent hours on line repeatedly re-filing their stupid forms. They are totally impossible to deal with. If you show up at the airport with your drone, they will seize it and hold it for you until you leave the country. If you use it illegally (without permit) they can fine you thousands of dollars and jail time. To heck with them. Because of Covid, I had to cancel my trip, but to tell you the truth, if I cannot fly there legally, there are plenty of other places in the world to visit. I also wanted to use the drone in Abu Dhabi (a whole different permit) as well as Doha (not permitted into the country with a drone), and Muscat, Oman (also illegal). I say XXXX to them. I am going elsewhere. I threw away all of my applications into the garbage, along with my plans for a visit there.

Oh yes, another thing. I wanted very much to do a time lapse using a tripod from the top of the Burj Khalifa. NO tripods of any sort are permitted, even after paying $125 USD for the ticket to the top. I received a personal refusal from the Top of the Burj Khalifa from them! These people have a lot to learn about tourism. The UAR writes the book about how to treat tourists badly.
Thanks for that info, I’ve all but given up the Legal route and might pack the drone in my suitcase, I only wanted to do one photo out in the desert so if there’s no one about I might risk it for the 5 minutes I’ll be in the air.
like you I’ve been pushed from pillar to post regarding registration of the drone. Now I’ve finally managed to register it as a tourist only to find I’ll still have to take a one day test and pick up the paperwork somewhere else before I can apply for a NOC from the DCAA.
Photography wise, I’ve managed to find a photographer that will take me around some of the rooftop spots that tourists can’t get to, yes I did have to pay for that privilege but hopefully it will be worth it. Dubai wasn’t our first choice as we normally holiday away from the masses and our original destination was Uganda. COVID 19 Scuppered those plans. Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for that info, I’ve all but given up the Legal route and might pack the drone in my suitcase, I only wanted to do one photo out in the desert so if there’s no one about I might risk it for the 5 minutes I’ll be in the air.
like you I’ve been pushed from pillar to post regarding registration of the drone. Now I’ve finally managed to register it as a tourist only to find I’ll still have to take a one day test and pick up the paperwork somewhere else before I can apply for a NOC from the DCAA.
Photography wise, I’ve managed to find a photographer that will take me around some of the rooftop spots that tourists can’t get to, yes I did have to pay for that privilege but hopefully it will be worth it. Dubai wasn’t our first choice as we normally holiday away from the masses and our original destination was Uganda. COVID 19 Scuppered those plans. Thanks for your feedback.

If you pack the drone and don't tell them about it, you are opening yourself up for serious legal repercussions. The very thought had crossed my mind too. Then I saw the draconian penalties ($10,000 fine and a year in jail) there is no picture in the world worth that. The place is spectacularly scenic and it its a shame they are so terribly backward.

If you are still going, consider staying at the Address Downtown hotel with a room overlooking the fountains. There are gorgeous displays day and night. I am attaching a screen grab of the room I was booking. Also, we had booked a fabulous Anantara Desert Lodge outside of Abu Dhabi with camel rides on the desert, great for drone views with big long shadows from directly above. I got so disgusted dealing with these jerks I am almost thrilled that Covid made me cancel. It is a big fat runaround. Meanwhile, You Tube is filled with wonderful drone footage! Go figure. Go to You Tube and search for drone video of Dubai.
The room overlooks the huge mall and the Burj Khalifa. Great for setting up a tripod for timelapse sunset or illumination from day to night.
Here is a link to get you started. Let me know if you have any luck with the permitting.
Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 4.48.59 PM.png

If you pack the drone and don't tell them about it, you are opening yourself up for serious legal repercussions. The very thought had crossed my mind too. Then I saw the draconian penalties ($10,000 fine and a year in jail) there is no picture in the world worth that. The place is spectacularly scenic and it its a shame they are so terribly backward.

If you are still going, consider staying at the Address Downtown hotel with a room overlooking the fountains. There are gorgeous displays day and night. I am attaching a screen grab of the room I was booking. Also, we had booked a fabulous Anantara Desert Lodge outside of Abu Dhabi with camel rides on the desert, great for drone views with big long shadows from directly above. I got so disgusted dealing with these jerks I am almost thrilled that Covid made me cancel. It is a big fat runaround. Meanwhile, You Tube is filled with wonderful drone footage! Go figure. Go to You Tube and search for drone video of Dubai.
The room overlooks the huge mall and the Burj Khalifa. Great for setting up a tripod for timelapse sunset or illumination from day to night.
Here is a link to get you started. Let me know if you have any luck with the permitting.

View attachment 119443
By the way, if you have not been to Uganda, it is spectacular. Do not miss Murchison Falls. Stay at Baker's Lodge. Here are a few shots.

Attachments

• MurchisonFalls-bottom-lo-rez-GOR_0089.jpg
    729.7 KB · Views: 9
  • MurchisonFalls-BW--Uganda--close-up-lor-es-GOR_1298.jpg
    628.3 KB · Views: 10

View attachment 119443
Great minds think alike that’s where we’re staying for the first 5 days. I’ll make my mind up about slipping the drone into hold luggage later. I’ll carry on fighting them in the meantime.

By the way, if you have not been to Uganda, it is spectacular. Do not miss Murchison Falls. Stay at Baker's Lodge. Here are a few shots.
Awesome, Uganda is going to have to wait until jan 2022 now because of Covid-19. The trip was all planned and Murchison Falls was on it. Our intention is to hire a truck and rooftent and camp in most of the parks. A few lodges would be needed so I’ll make a note of Bakers Lodge. Thanks

Great minds think alike that’s where we’re staying for the first 5 days. I’ll make my mind up about slipping the drone into hold luggage later. I’ll carry on fighting them in the meantime.
Please keep me informed regarding your progress. We may re-schedule a trip for next December (2021) because after January, the temperatures are just too hot to travel there, and Covid will be over by then hopefully. I am particularly interested in the name of your photography guide to the roof tops for photography if you can send it to me. Our original trip was 3 full days plus 2 travel days ( 5 days each) for the following; 5 days- Doha, 5 days Muscat,Oman (including desert lodge at luxe Anantara Desert Camp), 5 days Dubai at Address Downtown, and 5 days , Abu Dhabi including another Anantara Desert Camp.Qasr Al Sarab Desert Resort by Anantara We have enough business miles for Miami/Doha. Please send contact for photographer guide to
Dale Davis, [email protected]
and check out this desert lodge. If you do manage to sneak your drone through customs and you are able to fly there in the desert, I would really love to know that!!!!!

Please keep me informed regarding your progress. We may re-schedule a trip for next December (2021) because after January, the temperatures are just too hot to travel there, and Covid will be over by then hopefully. I am particularly interested in the name of your photography guide to the roof tops for photography if you can send it to me. Our original trip was 3 full days plus 2 travel days ( 5 days each) for the following; 5 days- Doha, 5 days Muscat,Oman (including desert lodge at luxe Anantara Desert Camp), 5 days Dubai at Address Downtown, and 5 days , Abu Dhabi including another Anantara Desert Camp.Qasr Al Sarab Desert Resort by Anantara We have enough business miles for Miami/Doha. Please send contact for photographer guide to
Dale Davis, [email protected]
and check out this desert lodge. If you do manage to sneak your drone through customs and you are able to fly there in the desert, I would really love to know that!!!!!
I’ve emailed you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS