DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with FAA/Skyvector aeronautical maps

Dopper

Reactions
I apologize if these are stupid questions but...
#1) I have been trying to study maps so I can fully understand airspace and general knowledge of all they reveal. When I go on the FAA website and click on sectional maps i get an explanation but no maps. How do I actually get to the maps?
#2) I have been able to get on skyvector maps but it doesn't show my location so it's hard to pin point where I am actually flying at on the map. Do I have to use the various drone apps in order to determine my location or is there a way to have my location show up when I access them on my I-pad or Mac computer?
Note: I have authorized location services on both devices but it still doesn't reveal my location. I would appreciate any help with this.
Thank you! D

You can download sectional maps directly from the FAA here: VFR Raster Charts

The Skyvector website won't show your location. (it's mainly designed as a resource for manned aircraft pilots to look at charts as part of their pre-flight planning.) However, there are mobile apps with sectional maps that will show you your location on the map. (for example, on Android you can use the free "Avare" app)