DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with finding Mavic Pro 2

niftof9

Reactions
Hi my sons mavic pro 2 was lost in Dublin City Centre.

Utterly stupid of him how and where he was flying. But i was wondering if anybody could help me here? i'm trying to figure out last location. the remote lost connection and it was saying gps signal lost. he was getting shots of park, and wind took it so he went to land in large field, where last location is. he got no rth indication and it was showing as gps lost. remote went to relink drone screen and i think it autolanded somewhere at last known location.

heres a link to flight txt

Last edited by a moderator:
WELCOME to the forum :)

Correct me if I am wrong but was this flight flown on the 6th of November?
If correct I would say your chances of finding it are very, very slim.
If it came down in a street it will be gone, either lifted and handed into the Garda or pocketed or binned or crushed. There are quite a few sloping rooves/roofs in the area that might have dumped it into a street or court yard or gutter.
That I can see the drone was well above the RTH height when it lost connection, 516ft vs 98ft, so it will have returned at the flying height or may even have climbed back up to 675ft. See the Failsafe section of the manual on page 18.

I have yet to literally see a failsafe RTHwith a Mavic 2 where I can say with certainty what it will do. The one real one I have experienced happened when I lost sight of it behind some trees and, in hindsight and after having read the failsafe section of the manual, I was looking for it in the wrong part of the sky. That failsafe section of the manual probably explains why mine seemed to take a long time to return home.

One minute of retracing the out bound flight path might mean it started to try to go home from over Leinster House, EEEEEEKKKKKK not good.
I will leave estimation of the effects of wind to others.

Thanks i think it lost GPS according to remote. i know log shows it but the in app is showing as no gps and the remote showed as no gps, which kickstarts it into autoland i thought?

The wind was really strong and he picked Trinity to land because of area.

But yeah its most likely gone for good.

does the RTH retrace original flightpath?

Last edited:
...But yeah its most likely gone for good.
Yeah ... I would imagine that.

Made the calculations anyway just to see how big & uncertain the possible landing zone would be ... a needle in a haystack unfortunately!

This was the winds ... far above the spec for a M2.

(Click on the pics below to make them larger)
1638291675545.png
Adding that this flight was performed on quite a height ... up on 287m height, the winds usually aren't weaker there.
This also mean that the drift speeds was higher when the connection was lost. No loss of GPS is visible in the log though.

So as the craft was commanded erratically there in the end it's kinda difficult to get proper log values of drift speed just there in the end ... have instead looked at a moment a bit earlier where the craft was left alone during nearly a minute ... drifting & consuming battery.

It was here ...

1638292023099.png

And here the values from that area ...

1638292537832.png

The M2 consumed about 1% each 8sec & drifted with speeds averaging to 1,8m/s (actually from 0,3-3,9m/s so gusty) in a direction from 48 degrees from North to 65 degrees. The battery would have lasted approx 133,3sec until the low battery auto landing would have kicked in after the last disconnect.

The possible landing area are littered with higher buildings & roofs ... so here the earliest & latest landing starts, from 158m height. A lot of thing's that the M2 could have collided with or landed on, on the way down with 3m/s continuously drifting with the strong wind.

1638292270733.png

Here a couple views of the landing zone (green) that are made out from differences in drift direction & speed ... haven't bothered to put out GPS position markers ... this M2 is lost.

1638292564848.png

1638292582989.png

does the RTH retrace original flightpath?
Read the section in the manual, having experienced an RTH that took a long time it was quite an eye opener to me too.

Edit I was going to add "if it can make headway against the wind" but Slup beat me to it.

I haven't actually been in a position where I had room to really see what a Mavic 2 does in the early stages of a fail safe RTH, my tests have all been in a place where the visible sky was too confined to allow accurate judgements of what movements the drone made.

Thanks. Yeah he was heading for the field as there was no way he was going to get back against the winds. but the remote disconnected. a bit of a disaster. a stupid flight he just wanted shots of the autumn in the green. an not even one was sent over, well half a one.

thanks for the detailed response, really appreciate it.

Utterly stupid of him how and where he was flying. But i was wondering if anybody could help me here? i'm trying to figure out last location. the remote lost connection and it was saying gps signal lost. he was getting shots of park, and wind took it so he went to land in large field, where last location is. he got no rth indication and it was showing as gps lost. remote went to relink drone screen and i think it autolanded somewhere at last known location.

I don't mean to detract from your search, but can I ask ...what the heck was your son doing flying in Dublin City? I tend to stay away from the city airspace, far too many hazards and regulations. Apart from that curiosity, I genuinely wish you good luck in finding it (I know, needle in a haystack)

I don't mean to detract from your search, but can I ask ...what the heck was your son doing flying in Dublin City? I tend to stay away from the city airspace, far too many hazards and regulations. Apart from that curiosity, I genuinely wish you good luck in finding it (I know, needle in a haystack)
yeah he's learnt his lesson. he can only fly in wilderness areas from now on. he was flying up and down for the photo of the Green. the wind took it and for safety he went to land in the cricket green but the Dji remote disconnected from the bird. he still shouldn't have but he wasn;t intentionally flying it over the city.
But yeah its stuff like this that wil lwreck droing for all so i'm not condoning it.

I checked with the local gardai and some businesses in the area the poster thought might be area, nobody was hurt or stuff damaged in the vicinity. so thats the main thing. the lost drone is secondary. he was shitting himself and felt terrible. the best result is if it landed on a flat roof safe from anything, never to be found.

the main reason i asked is to put to bed that it might have landed in Trinity. it seems it wouldnt have

I have my phone # taped to the top of my drone. Without any identification, a person finding it wouldn't know what to do with it.

Unfortunate to say the least and I hope he gets the M2 back, but your son was flying in a prohibited area https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-sou...raphical-zones-issue-18.pdf?sfvrsn=d57219f3_4, at an altitude far in excess of what is allowed even if it wasn’t a prohibited area, over residential areas ….
Even “wilderness areas” are covered by rules and legal obligations, I suggest the next step is to go and register and get some training! IAA.ie has all the info you need to get started, go to the General Aviation tab for Drones.
Getting the A1/A3 cert. Is relatively easy and doesn’t cost much at all.

Reactions: Spruce Goose
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom