DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with focusing problem - tried most suggestions from chats and videos

flyingsolo

Reactions
Hi all - just received my Mavic yesterday. I have not flown outside yet but after powering up, I could not get the screen (iPhone 7 plus) to focus using either Auto Focus (by tapping on the screen) or the manual focus. Regardless what I do, the picture are blurry.

I have updated to the latest firmware and using the DJI Go 4 app.

I have tried the gimbel calibration and IMU and resetting the camera settings.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I might have missed or should try? I will call DJI tomorrow when they open.

Below is a screenshot picture
b2e4ac7c3035aa67d68bda277839842f.jpg

And this is the actual picture
7cae0e2dbf7713307210026e2191e82a.jpg

Thanks for you help!

Assuming you are using the most current firmware your screen says you are in AFC mode (Auto Focus Continuous). Try this, go to your camera settings and turn off Enable AFC mode and see what happens. You should be able to tap the screen for focus after that. Although on my Mavic, I can still tap to focus in AFC mode.

I see videos with all DJI info you see on your smartphone in flight.
How do I get that background info on my videos?

Reactions: Responder Rob
I see videos with all DJI info you see on your smartphone in flight.
How do I get that background info on my videos?

@karle For my picture above, I just took a screenshot using the iPhone (home button and power button together), but I think you were asking about the videos and I believe there are apps to do that which I have not used before.

Samsung Galaxy S5 has a new feature with Android version 7 allows to to record the screen if you place your app in the Game Launcher folder. I don't know if flyingsolo has an android or iphone.

I'm wondering why you decided to calibrate the IMU. Does it have some function related to the camera focus that I was unaware of?

I just saw in one of the YouTube video that someone had a similar problem and they mentioned that was how they resolved it. It didn't make a difference for me though.

Just called DJI service and resetting the camera settings (their suggestion) didn't work either. Anyway, I am bring it into their flagship store in Shanghai on Tuesday where they have a quick service option to fix or replace.

Will keep people posted.

Cool - take some pix of the store if you think it would be interesting to show the rest of us. I'm picturing a giant Apple Store like place, with drones flying around :)

I am at the store now, it has two parts, the service center is off to the side and nothing too interesting, with 2 chairs in front of a counter where you drop off your drone and they bring it into an employee only area with frosted glass doors to test and fix. The actual flag ship store is around the corner and I walked in briefly and only saw a flying area with a net to keep it in place about 100 sq feet area.
bd25ad7782b3ba406611d4402b45b20a.jpg

By the way you can make online appointments like Apple Genius Bar on the DJI website. The only options right now are the store in Shanghai and Shenzhen. The wait is not too long usually you can get 1 hour time slots about 2 days out.

Ok while waiting, went to the flagship store to take a look. Here are some pictures. It's two stories with stairs on both sides (the service center and the store). Nice and clean look with lots of big screens playing videos.
70bd2bee3b58cdf22041d44218c1f4bf.jpg
a0434598965af17edb45d6dfedf0b13a.jpg
8d6db24f90f3a5f34a711748647c757b.jpg
c68f6dbbbfa615b16cd22ffc7517be3b.jpg
91278176f7795dfc7cdf3f72f981b44c.jpg

Thanks for the photos. It does look a bit like the Apple store, with white all around, and some of the counters lit from below.

Happy to report, my focus issue is fixed (well, a replacement). The Tech tried to fix it and he couldn't either. He said it's a hardware issue (I am surprised they don't QC the new units better). Anyway, there were 2 options since I just bought it last week, 1) mail the entire package back and receive a brand new box or 2) they can give me a New Mavic body (minus the battery, I keep my original one). Since I am leaving for my trip tomorrow and there is no time to mail it back. I opted for Option 2, I doubled check with the Tech and it's a brand new unit (never activated and never flown before). I read some that DJI care gives refurbished units but not in this case. Very excited to use it on my trip.

Nice! Glad you got a working Mavic in time for your trip. Next time I'm in a hurry I'll just fly to Shanghai. :) Happy droning!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird