DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with NFZ

DJ Kim

Reactions
I live in Northern Virginia near Washington DC. Literally three blocks outside of 12 mile NFZ.
With my Phantom 4, I can fly from my backyard and fly to the opposite direction just fine.
Just got my Mavic Pro last week, she comes up not able to fly because it says that it's in restricted area.

* I use the same iPhone with the same DJI Go app to fly.
* I tried two drones back to back with the same iPhone: P4=no problem, MP=NFZ
* the GeoFencing is set to be "off" in both sessions in DJI Go app
* in DJI Go app, the map shows that I'm outside the red NFZ zone (in both cases) and good to go.
* B4UFLY app shows that I'm good to go from my location.

two drones from same DJI... other than the drones/remote, it's literally the same condition... Not sure why Mavic thinks I'm in restricted area when Phantom 4 thinks we are good to go.

the fact is that I am truly at a location where it's allowed to fly.

I've tried to uninstall and reinstall the Go app. no joy on NFZ error.
running out of ideas to try.

Anyone have any ideas to try? Help~~~~

This is the screen capture...
notice in the map, I'm clearly not in the restricted area... yet not allowed to fly...

IMG_4171.jpg

On the Airmap site, it actually looks like that location is within the restricted area.

hunter mill road.png

On the Airmap site, it actually looks like that location is within the restricted area.

View attachment 1622

How does that explain that I am able to fly my current Phantom 4 as well as my old Phantoms?

And the weirdest thing is that both my Phantom 4 and Mavic pro are from same company. And I'm using the same control devices (iPhone + same DJI Go app)

And my location is so on the fringe of that restriction, depending on which database you look up, it'll show as red zone as well as cleared zone.
But that's not the point, right?
If it is indeed in the NFZ, then how come DJI's own Phantom able to clear?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I'm a new drone owner so take this with a grain of salt, but in my research of finding locations to fly, I learned the FAA temporarily doubled the NFZ around DC from 15 miles to 30. This could be why the message says "Temporary Flight Restriction". As of this week, they've since reverted the distance, so have you tried again?

I'm a new drone owner so take this with a grain of salt, but in my research of finding locations to fly, I learned the FAA temporarily doubled the NFZ around DC from 15 miles to 30. This could be why the message says "Temporary Flight Restriction". As of this week, they've since reverted the distance, so have you tried again?

whew... just tried it out now.
the 15 mile NFZ radius is still the same....
no changes.... ;(

whew... just tried it out now.
the 15 mile NFZ radius is still the same....
no changes.... ;(

Eek. I'm sorry! I'm in the same boat. I'm out of Alexandria and have yet to find a good spot. Looking online to see if any more seasoned pilots have any suggestions.

Reactions: DJ Kim
Eek. I'm sorry! I'm in the same boat. I'm out of Alexandria and have yet to find a good spot. Looking online to see if any more seasoned pilots have any suggestions.

Where abouts in Alexandria?
From that direction, the closest where you can fly is Occoquan waterfront down south...

If you fly with GEO setting off, you can pretty much get airborne everywhere outside of ~15 mile NFZ..
such a pain in the butt. :)

Reactions: folk_me
Where abouts in Alexandria?
From that direction, the closest where you can fly is Occoquan waterfront down south...

If you fly with GEO setting off, you can pretty much get airborne everywhere outside of ~15 mile NFZ..
such a pain in the butt. :)

On the northern side, close to Arlington. I'll check out the Occoquan Waterfront but I'm not comfortable with flying without GEO yet. Still a newbie, haha. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: DJ Kim
On the northern side, close to Arlington. I'll check out the Occoquan Waterfront but I'm not comfortable with flying without GEO yet. Still a newbie, haha. Thanks for the tip!

If you leave the GEO fencing on, then the NFZ extends all the way out to 30 miles.

(I know this is a double post from another thread but... I'm in Fairfax near GMU)
I am new to drones and just received by Mavic Pro today. Live in Northern Virginia but according to the GPS maps, i am outside the DC 30 mile restrict zone and outside of both Dullas and National airport. When I turn RC & drone on, comes up Near NFZ. I've received permission via the unlock procedure. But - I cannot get the rotters to turn on. Am I missing something?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots