DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Help!

Mr. Noob

Reactions
I took some video in the desert to get experience, and although I know they are far from where I want them to be, I was looking forward to advice that can help me get there. Alas, even though I downloaded them to my iPhone and can watch them there, I can’t load them here because they don’t show in the album to move them here. What am I doing wrong?

Take the memory card out of the drone and put it into a reader attached to your computer. Dont forget to put the card back in the drone when you are finished....... otherwise bad words may be said.

Take the memory card out of the drone and put it into a reader attached to your computer. Dont forget to put the card back in the drone when you are finished....... otherwise bad words may be said.
I appreciate the hint, but one thing I forgot to mention is that after downloading them to my phone I formatted the disk while in the drone. It’s a habit carried over from my Digital Camera photography training. Bad words were already said back then! ? I’m going to try loading them to my computer and running them through a video processor and see if that helps. One of a few things that danced through my head as I tried to sleep last night.

Download the likes of Zar X or Recuva or PC Inspector-by-convar and run one of them on the card, you might be surprised what is recoverable. I have used PC-inspector or perhaps its predecessor before (10 years ago) and it did a good job but last time I tried it I could get it to work.
Zar X is good and I use that as a card checker as, whilst doing the search scan, it displays a map of the sectors and their health.
I think I have used recuva but can't be sure.

I appreciate the hint, but one thing I forgot to mention is that after downloading them to my phone I formatted the disk while in the drone. It’s a habit carried over from my Digital Camera photography training. Bad words were already said back then! ? I’m going to try loading them to my computer and running them through a video processor and see if that helps. One of a few things that danced through my head as I tried to sleep last night.
Of course, once you have formatted the SD card, the images are gone forever! My check list includes a freshly formatted SD card before filming. Then, at the end of the day, remove your card, stick it into the card reader of the computer or external card reader, open it on your desk top and drag the files on to the desk top. Label them and sort them into video folder and still images folder. Then, when you are SURE they are downloaded on to your computer, eject the SD card from the computer or card reader, put the SD card back in to your drone and format (erase) the card in the settings. Any files you retrieve from the phone are not full resolution.

I took some video in the desert to get experience, and although I know they are far from where I want them to be, I was looking forward to advice that can help me get there. Alas, even though I downloaded them to my iPhone and can watch them there, I can’t load them here because they don’t show in the album to move them here. What am I doing wrong?
If you haven't overwritten your card you could recover your videos. Sandisk Rescue Pro is a recovery software to use it on your pc. 95-98% possibility to recover your data files, there are also some other 3rd party recovery softwares to do it.

That’s the routine I follow with my Digital camera and GoPro cams, figured I could just download drone to phone then phone to computer( now I see it as a wasted step DUH! ?) and didn’t think about resolution difference.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Of course, once you have formatted the SD card, the images are gone forever! My check list
Well that was interesting,
I backed up a card from my MM, quick formatted the card using windows and then ran Zar-x on the card.
Zar_x recovered the photo ok ( there was only one) and found the correct number of Mp4's but the recovered videos are all 262Mb in size and none will play.
The average size of the originals was 1.75G.
I stand somewhat corrected.
Thinking about, it previous recovered cards have all been from DSLR's etc and there were very few if any videos on them.
I tend to scan any old cards I 'find' just to see what was on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, once you have formatted the SD card, the images are gone forever! ...

Well that was interesting ...
I stand somewhat corrected.

Well pure technical it depends what kind of formatting you use ...

A quick format will "delete" files from the partition and rebuild the file system, volume label, and cluster size. It is faster than full format. However, it's not the real sense of formatting. It just marks the partition as "formatted" and destroys the journal that keeps tracks of the files and their locations on the drive. So, the data is still on the drive and it can be easily recovered by a data recovery software before it is overwritten. Pay attention to that the word "delete" was used, not "erase". That means that quick format doesn't really erase all the data.

A full format will instead erase files completely from the partition, rebuild the file system, volume label, and cluster size, and scan partition for logical bad sectors (that's why full format is slower than quick format). It is the real sense of formatting. From Windows Vista & later for instance ... zeros is written to the whole partition, and finally the zeroes is erased again to avoid the possibility of data recovery. So, full format does erase all data.

Well pure technical it depends what kind of formatting you use ...
I believe that some of that is true. As for the remainder, I don't know about it full stop but I am happy to accept that it is true.
However I think most people only "quick format", if for no other reason than the speed. Last time I did a full format via windows it took ages.
I have just done a format of a 64G card on the drone and it took seconds so I presume it too is a quick format.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never tried it... but I have a friend who says there is a program called Disk Drill should recover the files. He says that most recovery programs don't recognize many video formats, but Disk Drill usually does. Again, I've not used the program or even heard of it before.

Good Luck

HAHAHA! You guys lost me long ago in this conversation! ?
I change SD cards every time I change batteries. When I get home I copy the vids and pics to my iMac using a card reader. (This makes the SD card appear as a drive which can be opened and the transfer is drag and drop.) Then I delete the files from the SD card and empty the trash on the computer. Then eject the SD card.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3