DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Here's why to D-Log

LenSavage

Reactions
If you do advanced editing, there's no way around the need for D-Log.
I shot a test for a client yesterday and today decided to do some more with it just for fun.
From raw D-Log through vintage B & W and more - finally to a film look:

That black and white was awesome. What software are you using - I want to duplicate that. And the music - haha.

I have the full Adobe Creative Suite, so that was Premiere for editing, but the crops/formats was all manual settings, the music came from a variety of sources and the B & W grain/dust/scratches was a 3rd party vendor download so none of this was easy drag & drop configs - less software and more experience and practice.
If you have footage that you need pushed back 50 or 75 years, let me know.

Reactions: passedpawn
Interesting - would have been nice with a bit of text on video explaining what was what?

Outsra
I shot a test for a client yesterday and today decided to do some more with it just for fun.

Outstanding! 24fps? Vignette?

Interesting - would have been nice with a bit of text on video explaining what was what?

Thanks!
Had each one been a standard out-of-the-box LUT, then that would be easy. However, these were mostly 2 more % of this and 3% less of that across more than 20 variables in Lumetri Color panel and other controls as per the attached image of part of the controls for the last; cinematic clip.
If I knew I would need that specific look again such as working on a film, I would have created some LUTs that I could have shared.
Color-grading is more art than science - and I hope to one day get good at it.
edit.jpg

Reactions: FlyingGary
Outsra
Outstanding! 24fps? Vignette?

Vignette on the last 'cine' clip.
Yes - 4K 24 fps, ND16 filter and this was a Mavic Pro, so it wasn't the better Hasselblad camera - our M2P along with others is in our Hollywood office.
A true craftsman (which I aspire to be one day) never blames his tools for a lack of quality.
A true craftsman can take a rusty old hammer and build a mansion and the 'handyman' can buy a new shiny hammer and flatten his thumb with it.
Actually, my favorite drone camera (short of the later Zenmuse cameras on the Inspire) is the Zenmuse on my Phantom 3 4K (rare model). If the Phantom had a bit more stable flight characteristics, I would have been totally disappointed with the Mavics. My old P3-4K really shines on dusk & dawn footage as you can see - at the end and really, about 1/3rd of all of this footage:

Reactions: Greenflash and MAGA

That was very good and a great little lesson to show just how music and effects can change a standard scene. The addition of music is soooo important to a video, however, it can also make or break some good original footage, and something that some may not be aware of. You chose well to give the feeling of the different type of scene you wanted to project upon the audience, but with the exact same footage, very nice.

That is the great thing about video, compared to still photography, with music you can give a great scene an even greater impact. Whereby with stills, it has to stand alone in silence, unless you create a slide show of course, then if done well, you can give that same epic feel as you do with video.

I know still editing very well but am an infant when it comes to video editing. If you ever fancy have a look at some of my collected footage I took in Austria and the UK and would like to have a play around with it, let me know, I even have the music picked out that I think would suit itself well to the footage. I just wish I could edit so I could put it all together.

That was very good and a great little lesson to show just how music and effects can change a standard scene. The addition of music is soooo important to a video, however, it can also make or break some good original footage, and something that some may not be aware of. You chose well to give the feeling of the different type of scene you wanted to project upon the audience, but with the exact same footage, very nice.

That is the great thing about video, compared to still photography, with music you can give a great scene an even greater impact. Whereby with stills, it has to stand alone in silence, unless you create a slide show of course, then if done well, you can give that same epic feel as you do with video.

I know still editing very well but am an infant when it comes to video editing. If you ever fancy have a look at some of my collected footage I took in Austria and the UK and would like to have a play around with it, let me know, I even have the music picked out that I think would suit itself well to the footage. I just wish I could edit so I could put it all together.
Thank you for the kind words.
You can incorporate stills seamlessly with video - especially at 4K and hi-res photos because you can do some digital zoom.
The only thing that makes it obvious that it is stills is that nothing in-scene is moving and the perspective doesn't change during the zoom.
Here's an example - I have a contract to document a home under construction in Beverly Hills; this version has 5 still images:

BTW: The opening scene was a 'borrowed' screen grab of a fly-over in Google Maps. Our secret.
This video was a quick 'show the contractor the progress' - the finished version once the home is completed will have better color grading.
I would be pleased to download your footage and music and edit a promo for you - no charge.
Visit my old website for contact info: West Bay Productions

Reactions: Greenflash
That was great morphing effects of the construction concrete sections, what did you use for that? Your offer to help with my footage is very kind indeed and I shall go to your other site to see what I have to do. Sincere thanks for you offer and time to help. I just wish I could offer you something in exchange.

Cool effects!

Sorry to digress from the main theme of this thread, but I have a question about your drone use in Austria. I just returned from there and looked at the laws before I left the US. I got so discouraged by the myriad of laws and licenses (I am a 107 pilot), that I just left my Mavic 2 sitting on the shelf at home. How did you prepare, any issues or confrontations?

Sweet. I really need to spend more time with this and learning to do post production. Never enough time in the day.

That's some of the best 'dirt' I've seen for a 'film look'! It was only missing those long running scratches and low resolution (24 fps / with poor lenses)!

Sorry to digress from the main theme of this thread, but I have a question about your drone use in Austria. I just returned from there and looked at the laws before I left the US. I got so discouraged by the myriad of laws and licenses (I am a 107 pilot), that I just left my Mavic 2 sitting on the shelf at home. How did you prepare, any issues or confrontations?
Well I lived in the Alps for a number of years and have many friends in the village I lived in, one of which was luckily a drone flyer. He explained the rules to me prior to me arriving and as long as you stay 150m or less above the ground, you should not have a problem but of course that was not the only rule to follow. You had to be sure you were not flying near any heliports (of which there are many in the valleys by the ski resorts in the alps), and of course nowhere near an airport.

He said you could not fly in any city nor over the villages themselves and basically as long as you were away from people and out in the empty valleys or mountains, you should be fine, but to just be sure to keep away from hikers or other people enjoying the outdoors, just to be sure no one would report you. There were a number of regulations that he outlined, which on the surface made it sound as if it was almost impossible to fly anywhere in Austria, and he said that Switzerland was even worse.

However, there have been others on this forum who say they have been flying in both Austria and Switzerland with very little restrictions. I suppose it depends on what you wanted to film and where in Austria you were. I suppose it is like anywhere that does no have an all out ban on drone flying, as long as you take care to stay away from built up areas and stay away from people, you should not have a problem with flying about and doing some filming. Where did you visit in Austria? I limited my flying and it was in the mountains and away from people that I did not know. I had no issues and no confrontations. There were plenty of places I wanted to fly but did not just to be on the safe side and not chance annoying others around.

I used to fly hang gliders in the early 70s into the 80s when I lived over there. It was the birth of hang gliding at the time and I recall the ridiculous laws governing the flying of those too. It meant it was almost impossible for us to fly, but we did it anyways back then and Austria became one of the best countries for hang gliding and the laws relaxed but were still stringent. Switzerland, back in those days, had an outright ban of the flying of Hang gliders.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder