DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi, anybody following the news that DJI may not be able to sell drones in the USA?

ssb73q

Reactions
Hi, anybody following the news that DJI may not be able to sell drones in the USA? The House of Representatives passed S1790. That bill is now going over to the Senate. I don't understand the logic and security issues that may prevent DJI from selling, or owners from using DJI drones in the USA.

Regards,
Richard

Reactions: Droniac
Hi, anybody following the news that DJI may not be able to sell drones in the USA? The House of Representatives passed S1790. That bill is now going over to the Senate. I don't understand the logic and security issues that may prevent DJI from selling, or owners from using DJI drones in the USA.

Regards,
Richard
This article might be related to yours

Regards,
Richard
These "rumors" or "facts" have to do with DJI GOVERNMENT purchases and or funding of those purchases by U.S. government entities. DJI's product sales to the general, non-government, public will not be affected.

Regards,
Richard
Contractual and hush hush issues. Shouldnt really effect us innocent folk. Godspeed, Droniac

This article might be related to yours

Hello Autel EVO II .I do know that Police departments are not alowed to use DJI for that same reason !! The US governnent thinks that China will spi on us thru alll DJI drones LOL

Regards,
Richard
DJI, which accounts for more than 50% of U.S. drone sales, said its “drones are safe and secure for critical and sensitive operations … Our customers know that DJI drones remain the most capable and most affordable products for a wide variety of uses, including sensitive industrial and government work.”

Carr noted these drones have posed a national security threat to the U.S. in the past.

“Back in 2017, a DHS field office issued an intelligence bulletin saying it’s likely that information from these drones is going back to Beijing. You have the Department of Defense that has largely, with some exceptions, grounded their fleet of DJI drones.”

Carr also said that the DJI was added by the U.S. Commerce Department to the U.S. government’s economic blacklist and the U.S. Interior Department grounded its fleet of drones.

Couple accused in submarine espionage case indicted
Overall, Carr believes that there is enough data to put these drones on the covered list. He says putting them on the list will help the U.S. in the long run.

“In the long term, we’re [the FCC] looking at taking our covered list in prohibiting those devices from operating in the U.S. altogether. In fact … just today the House passed a bill that would give the FCC authority to do exactly that, that if there is anything on our covered list, they can no longer operate in the U.S.”

He said the FCC in consultation with national security agencies “should also consider whether there are additional entities that warrant closer scrutiny.”

“This is very serious, this path that we’re heading down, but I think it’s appropriate.”

Regards,
Richard
Posted: OCT 20, 2021 / 10:20 PM CDT | Updated: OCT 20, 2021 / 10:20 PM CDT

(NewsNation Now) — Thinking about buying your loved one a drone for Christmas? You might just want to think twice about that. A new warning from the Federal Communications Commission is calling for restrictions on Chinese drone maker SZ DJI Technology CO., the world’s largest drone maker.
On Tuesday, FCC Commissioner Brendan Carr urged the agency to add DJI to the so-called “Covered List” that would prohibit U.S. Universal Service Fund money from being used to purchase its equipment. Carr described the company as a potential “Huawei on wings.”
The Trump administration placed Huawei, a Chinese telecommunications and electronics company, on a blacklist in 2019, over concerns that the company’s technology could be used to aid Chinese government espionage efforts. Carr says something similar could happen with these drones.
“These DJI drones are collecting vast quantities of information,” Carr said on NewsNation’s “On Balance.” “They collect an amazing amount of sensitive information, they can remotely check people’s body temperature, their heart rates, (we’re) talking about really sensitive data that’s at risk her

Regards,
Richard
Watch this video

Attachments

• qrcode_www.newsnationnow.com.png
    qrcode_www.newsnationnow.com.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 24
I had missed it was the FCC regarding DJI security risks. So the snooping factor might be real. I don't have the tools to monitor what the drone or fly apps are doing when on, but scooping up access point data, or anything their radios can tune to, is a definite possibility. Might be a reason to get out my VNA and see if the drone or SC is making any noise like they're tuning outside normal WiFi bands. lol.

18. CONTACT INFORMATION​

The Site is offered by AUTEL ROBOTICS Co., Ltd. and its affiliated companies, located at 9th Floor, Bldg.B1, Zhiyuan, Xueyuan, Xili, Nanshan, Shenzhen, 518055, China. You may contact us by sending correspondence to that address or by emailing us via auteldrones.com or at [email protected].

Not a trade war against China. Corporate America has been moving manufacturing to China for decades, and outsourcing manufacturing and other business operations to places like Malaysia and India at the same time. So if you are wondering why you can't find reasonable professional employment in the US, well, look at your 401k portfolio and where all those companies claim to be making headway in improving margin.

If you need to work in service support, move to the Philippines: they need trained telecom support people.

Reactions: hychewright
“FCC calls for blacklist of Chinese drone company”

The FCC did not call for anything, it did not show up on the federal register. That was one commissioner venting and he’s probably doing it because some lobbyist is offering him money. The guy is an idiot if he thinks the Chinese are worried about American heart rates. It’s Americans like this that are the problem of leaking information about drones Former Airman Who Leaked Details of Drone Program Sentenced, Will Serve Prison Time

Last edited:
“FCC calls for blacklist of Chinese drone company”

That was one commissioner venting ... The guy is an idiot if he thinks the Chinese are worried about American heart rates.
Exactly .. he's one of 5 commissioners, and is rehashing the same misinformation that's been around for several years and repeatedly debunked.
He was put in by the previous administration and his term is expiring in a few months.
He was previously an aide to the last chairman of the FCC who followed the dubious agenda of repealing net neutrality.

18. CONTACT INFORMATION​

The Site is offered by AUTEL ROBOTICS Co., Ltd. and its affiliated companies, located at 9th Floor, Bldg.B1, Zhiyuan, Xueyuan, Xili, Nanshan, Shenzhen, 518055, China. You may contact us by sending correspondence to that address or by emailing us via auteldrones.com or at [email protected].

Not a trade war against China. Corporate America has been moving manufacturing to China for decades, and outsourcing manufacturing and other business operations to places like Malaysia and India at the same time. So if you are wondering why you can't find reasonable professional employment in the US, well, look at your 401k portfolio and where all those companies claim to be making headway in improving margin.

If you need to work in service support, move to the Philippines: they need trained telecom support people.
Could not have said it better myself. Just think, we (US) don't manufacturer hardly anything anymore. I'm 72 years young and in the 1950's and 60's I remember that we were the worlds leader in Manufacturing, sadly not anymore. You can't tell me that even today....... that we don't have the technology to build our own drones for commercial uses and fun. But the old adage is for us now to let somebody else make it and we will buy it (China mainly). Look at what you purchase, where is it made? Nine times out of ten, its not made in the USA. Yes, I know, I'm like most of you, I have drones, FPV gear all made in China.

I really love this hobby probably like you do, but right now way things are.........we have no alternative but not to buy from China or who ever that make the products we enjoy. I guess I've preached enough but I just had to reply. eEridani thanks for your comment on this subject.

I say for now(While we can) just enjoy our hobby. I really like our Mavic community on this forum, so much of you are so talented and have so much knowledge and are kind enough to share it.....I really appreciate it.........especially for old pilots like me..........God bless and Happy and Safe flying!

Reactions: SlugHead
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ